The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-05-2001, 10:01 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Question Fall 414 koa

I have been waiting for a fall limited 414CEkoa that my dealer has on order for me and was curious if anyone has seen or played one of these yet? Any comments or observations?
Old 11-05-2001, 10:08 AM

Cool

Yeah bill I have, I wasnt pretty but it played well. The Koa looked and sounded more like maple. Not impressed at all. Sorry.. JW
Old 11-09-2001, 08:30 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

I picked up my 414CE Koa today and was very pleasantly surprised by it. After reading comments about some others of these guitars I went to the store prepared to pass on the guitar and have them hang it up on the wall. I played this guitar compared to a standard 414CE which also was very nice and also compared it to a 2001 K14CE. Unplugged this guitar sounded as nice as the K14 it has that nice string definition of Koa. Plugged in however there was no comparison the "Blender" in the K14 makes a big difference, so I will be upgrading the electronics. The Koa back of this guitar is highly flamed any very attractive. The strange thing is that there is no center support brace down the inside center of the guitar. I don't have any other guitars that do not have this inside center support. Why would this be? Any comments?
I also played the 314CE limited which although a different tone than the Koa is also very nice.

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: CaptBill ]
Old 11-09-2001, 09:08 PM

I doubt very seriously that it's a one piece back. Believe it or not it is possible to hide these seams sometimes. Much harder with koa than with EI rosewood or mahogany I suspect, but still possible. I'm sitting here with a Martin 00-15 with a virtually invisible back center seam and no back strip on the inside back of the guitar. If I hold it just right in the light I can see the back seam (it's a full gloss model which probably makes it easier to see the seam). A satin finish might actually hide the seam better.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:10 PM

The modern glues which are being used on guitars are so good now that a center support brace is not needed on most woods. Larrivee has been doing this for years. The 2 piece back of your 414CE koa just happens to be very well bookmatched.

I believe the wide variances in the density of koa causes the differences in tone in the the 414CE koas. It's a very erratic tonewood. I've played some Taylor koa guitars that sounded thinner than mahogany while others as deep as rosewood.

GL
Old 11-09-2001, 09:16 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Thanks for the explanations.. I had edited my post since I first wrote it and apparantly while you were replying. After close inspection it is a two piece back but I'm just not used to not seeing that center support in there. I'm glad to hear that its not uncommon. It is great looking wood.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:18 PM

Hey Capt,

My 2001 LOTF 314KCE (2 pc. back) does not have a center brace either. Just thought I'd let you know
<><
Mark
Old 11-10-2001, 11:02 AM

Smile

Hi Capt
If it helps. I played a LOTF 314K that everyone raves about. The one I played sounded dead and flat to me . It was the only one I saw so I could only use what everyone else told me. I have played other K series and love them. I just felt I must have played the Lemon Of The Fall.
Old 11-10-2001, 12:06 PM

Cool

Hi Bill, SOOOOOOO glad you like yours! I could just comment on what I played. Like someone else mentioned he played "the lemon of the fall" I could have been the one I played was fresh out of the case and only days old but like my 710 LE it may be getting better each day. You may have one that is special and I hope they all are. Im glad you just didnt take my word and cancel. I imagine it was a pleasent surprize. Like you I have to hear it for myself. After Ive been played my new 710LE I cant wait now for the 714C-LTD. It like now I know its going to be great. Great news Bill!! JW
Old 11-10-2001, 03:06 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Thanks for the replies. I am really hoping that this will be a guitar I can feel comfortable taking to any gig.
JW..Please post pics when you get that 714 ltd. If I remeber correctly you ordered it with a Florentine cut-a-way, which is my favorite style and the way that I had my standard 714C built. Yours should be a beauty!
Also there seems to be a very slight inprovement to the mex case. They added the third rivet to the upper side of the latches whereas the case for my 714 only has 2 rivits holding that part but It still is way below the quality of the pre 2001 cases.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification