The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-28-2014, 07:36 AM

Default Setting Up lowden

Hi, I'm sure some of you guys have come across this problem before so would really appreciate any input you could give,
Just doing a set up on a lowden guitar that was previously set up for 13s strings and the owner decided he now wants 12s. I have already leveled the frets as there were a few high spots and checked the fretboard for straightness. etc
I fitted the 12s and there seems to be a harmonic type sound/noise coming for the high E. Theres no buzzing. The string sounds a bit deader than the rest as well. Is this a saddle or nut adjustment needed or what usually causes it
Thanks in advance
Rusty
Old 11-28-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Build and repair forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty999 View Post
The string sounds a bit deader than the rest as well. Is this a saddle or nut adjustment needed or what usually causes it
Thanks in advance
This sounds exactly like the kind of question that elicits extensive luthier replies in the "Build and Repair" forum -- just scroll down the list on the first page and try posting your question there.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty999 View Post
Hi, I'm sure some of you guys have come across this problem before so would really appreciate any input you could give,
Just doing a set up on a lowden guitar that was previously set up for 13s strings and the owner decided he now wants 12s. I have already leveled the frets as there were a few high spots and checked the fretboard for straightness. etc
I fitted the 12s and there seems to be a harmonic type sound/noise coming for the high E. Theres no buzzing. The string sounds a bit deader than the rest as well. Is this a saddle or nut adjustment needed or what usually causes it
Thanks in advance
Rusty
Is the noise coming from ALL notes on the high E?

There are a number of things to check.

1) The saddle is making solid contact with bottom of slot
2) There is enough break angle across saddle
3) the peak on top of the saddle allows for a clean pivot point

4) Check for a loose brace under the bridge.

5) Nut - If the strange noise is only on the open string, then it is possibly from the nut. Check that the nut slot has been cut to the proper depth, thickness, and angle.

Some other posters will have some good ideas, too, but some more information will help inform their instruction.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Last edited by Ned Milburn; 12-05-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:17 PM

Default Lowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Is the noise coming from ALL notes on the high E?

There are a number of things to check.

1) The saddle is making solid contact with bottom of slot
2) There is enough break angle across saddle
3) the peak on top of the saddle allows for a clean pivot point

4) Check for a loose brace under the bridge.

5) Saddle - If the strange noise is only on the open string, then it is possibly from the saddle. Check that the saddle slot has been cut to the proper depth, thickness, and angle.

Some other posters will have some good ideas, too, but some more information will help inform their instruction.
Thanks for reply.
Just to confirm its actually 2 strings now-High E and B.
All of the questions you mention make a lot of sense if I was the builder as I often get it wrong and have to go back and tweak away until things come together. But, this is a Lowden 035 Koa, and one of the finest guitars I have ever had the pleasure of working on, so its unlikely to be saddle slot etc as its very well built. I'm leaning towards the nut being the problem as the owner was using 13s and I convinced him to try a set of 12s so possibly the grooves in the nut should be filled and re cut ?
Once again I appreciate all the advise and hopeI can do the same for some of you guys someday
Cheers
Rusty
Old 12-05-2014, 02:37 AM

When trouble shooting a "sitar" type of sound and deadened string, first thing is to determine if it is the nut or not, which couldn't be easier. Play it open, if the problem is there- Fret it. If it is crisp and the "sitar" sound is gone, the problem is the nut slot. Nut slots can get harry... If they are too wide, they buzz... If they are too narrow, they buzz... If they are crooken, they buzz.... If your angle is too flat, they buzz.

Anyhow if it does not go away once you fret it, it is the saddle. Dead sound can be from a saddle that is not flat. Sitar sound will be from a saddle that isn't peaked enough on top, and is making too much contact with the string (wide surface). Other thing can be the break angle. If the saddle is much lower, and the string ramp slot is set back, it may not have the downward force it needs. The fix for that is to extend the string ramp up closer to the saddle, so that the string experiences a sharper break at the saddle.

-Dan
Old 12-05-2014, 03:59 AM

Default Lowden. Sitar sound on certain strings

Great tips there Dan and Many Thanks

Rusty
Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 AM

Rusty, I edited my first post because of a couple typos in point 5, should have read nut rather than saddle.

Lowden guitars have split saddles, so since you mention the issue is on string 1 and 2, I would have a good close look at the saddle holding these strings.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair