The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Default Yamaha Guitar Parts?

My friend recently gifted my daughter a nylon string Yamaha guitar No. 45 that he thought was 60's vintage? Anyways, this guitar has a couple of broken nylon or plastic string adjuster rollers. This is a beautiful guitar with a flamed maple back that I would like to save. I realize that this guitar has low value, but I would still like to save it. Any ideas on obtaining parts?

Thanks in advance for any reply's and sorry that my first forum post is a plea for help. O'Mahony
Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 AM

Don't even try to find replacement rollers for those tuners - parts like those are seldom interchangeable and virtually always near impossible to find.

You just need to replace the tuners - a full set will cost less than you might imagine. - fifteen bucks or so. You will need to make sure the spacing is right, and that alone can be quite a chase unless the rollers are 35mm on center. Low price tuners should work quite well on this guitar, by the way.

If it proves difficult to find a set with appropriate spacing, you can always get a set of "individual" tuners which will fit any classical style guitar.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 AM

Frank is correct. Being a Japanese guitar, it likely has 35mm spacing. I wouldn't, however, recommend the "bottom of the barrel" quality tuners at a music store - they are hardly worth the money and effort. You can get some very decent quality tuners on ebay for 20 dollars or so from a vendor named "lueez guitars".

http://stores.ebay.com/LueezGuitar/C...sub=3565488018

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Classic...item339596dca8

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Frank & Ned,

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. Now I realize their is an aftermarket array of tuner pegs....smile. Previously I had been watching ebay's "Yamaha parts" for a while with no success. Never considered the other.

After scouring available offerings, it appears to go from 30 to 35mm and with careful measurement it appears that I need 31.75mm with a bit of wiggle room but not enough for either 30 or 35mm to work?

I did see individual tuner pegs for a classical guitar and that will likely be my fix. Amazing that most of those offerings on the net don't show dimensions. I will over come that. Gentlemen, thank you for setting me on the path. Cheers, O'Mahony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair