The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Default High fret?

Hi Everyone. I bought a used Epi Les Paul (Joe Bonamassa gold top) a few days ago. When I bend a full step on frets 17,18, and 19 it "frets out". No buzzing, just no sound. When I bend a full step on the frets below and above that there's no issues.

The relief and action are both where I want it. The action is considered medium-low.

So, does this point to a high fret(s)?
Old 11-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Dru: Sometimes this happens depending on how the fingerboard is crowned. If the board has a constant radius over its entire length-say12" it is more likely to fret out compared to a compound radius-say12" at the nut to 16" at the final fret. Think of your fretboard like a piece of pipe for the first and the fretboard as a cone for the second. This does not preclude the fact that you may have a problem with a fret or two. Hope I've explained it so you can get a minds eye view.
Tom
Old 11-16-2014, 03:46 PM

Hi Tom, yes, that makes a lot of sense. I know that with some vintage guitars, like the 7.25" Strats they can fret out. I have other Les Pauls and they don't fret out though. I think they all have a 12" radius too.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Everyone. I bought a used Epi Les Paul (Joe Bonamassa gold top) a few days ago. When I bend a full step on frets 17,18, and 19 it "frets out". No buzzing, just no sound. When I bend a full step on the frets below and above that there's no issues.

The relief and action are both where I want it. The action is considered medium-low.

Tom is right that non compound radius fingerboards are problematic for bending. In fact, I once did a fret dressing on a brand new replacement neck for a tele because it had a constant radius and couldn't take bending much more than a quarter step.

However, it does sound like you've got some frets out of level that could easily be rectified with a light fret dressing.

Even sometimes (often??) new guitars from factories require touch up fret work for this reason.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Tom is right that non compound radius fingerboards are problematic for bending. In fact, I once did a fret dressing on a brand new replacement neck for a tele because it had a constant radius and couldn't take bending much more than a quarter step.

However, it does sound like you've got some frets out of level that could easily be rectified with a light fret dressing.

Even sometimes (often??) new guitars from factories require touch up fret work for this reason.
Thanks Ned. I used a credit card to check the height and there's at least one that is just a hair too high. I think it's the 17th and there might be another one too. If I lived closer to Dartmouth I'd drop into your shop.

BTW - I just checked out your website. Looks like you do some great work. (http://www.handcraftedguitars.ca/).
Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I think it's the 17th
If it is high, then fretting on the 16th fret should cause more buzz than anywhere else. The same thing can happen if the 16th fret is low.
But a high 17th fret will not cause fretting out when bending on the 17th, 18th or 19th fret. It will only cause fretting out (or buzzing) when playing on the frets behind the high one.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ned. I used a credit card to check the height and there's at least one that is just a hair too high. I think it's the 17th and there might be another one too. If I lived closer to Dartmouth I'd drop into your shop.

BTW - I just checked out your website. Looks like you do some great work. (http://www.handcraftedguitars.ca/).
Thanks Dru. My website is, however, desperately out of date. My facebook page shows many more photos. My big project in January will be to update my site. On my list of "101 things to do!" '-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-17-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:

les pauls are bending machines -short scale and easier then fenders to bend with.
you may just have a high/loose fret. i suggest getting a fret rocker or other suitable implement and finding out first. before you go out and buy tools and start dressing and crowning all of your frets, it may be that all that is needed is to tap the fret back in place, wick in thin ca to set, and clean up and check.

Last edited by arie; 11-17-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Take a metal object, like a small hammer, tap the ends of the frets. If not seated, it will not make a sharp tap, but a dull one. Tap several good frets, and see how it sounds. You'll know immediately if a fret is not seated. It's a thud vs a click. If it's not poorly seated, it's possible that it's been left a bit high. If not seated, see Arie's post, above.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Thanks for everyone's comments/assistance. I'll have another look at the guitar tonight.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Check out my loose fret diagnostic routine and repair methods here:

http://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/r...tory-fretwork/
Old 11-23-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate clark View Post
Check out my loose fret diagnostic routine and repair methods here:

http://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/r...tory-fretwork/
Hi Nate - great site. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Hi Nate - great site. Thanks.
Thank you and you're welcome. Let us know how the repair goes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair