The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-25-2014, 01:06 AM

Default Cleats?

I've found a couple of cracks that need to be repaired and would like some spec type info on cleats. I'm not sure how thick they are etc. Also, I'm not sure on how essential matching the wood type is either. My d15 has a top crack under the bridge that was 'supposed' to be stable but its opened up a little now that the heater is on. Can I use spruce or should I really be using mahogany? I might be able to get some mahogany scraps from a local hardwood place, if not what should I get? I could buy something like a head stock plate or a strip of mahogany binding for cheap, but like I said at the start I'm not really sure what sort of thickness dimension I'm aiming for. I've only seen pictures of these things
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 11-26-2014, 12:45 PM

I usually like to match the wood because it helps hide it but that's not really important. Spruce should work. IT depends on the crack but something like a diamond shape the size of a dime should work at about 3/32nd inch thick and tapered to zero all around when glued in place. The grain of the cleat should go across the crack.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:57 AM

Thanks for the help, I have the cleats magnet clamped now. Now I just hope they hold.
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair