The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2018, 04:22 PM

I use a Line 6 Verbzilla, and it covers all the bases for me. Sure, there are better reverb units on the market, but without a solid reason to upgrade, it's stayed on my board. They've been discontinued, but they can be found used for about $90-110.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:45 PM

Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 PM

Whoa! Stop the presses. An old dog CAN learn new tricks. I had been frustrated and upset by a... uh... "challenging" user interface in the Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal. But a half hour after writing the company asking for help I got an email (good tech department) that pointed out a couple missing pieces in my mind and it all kinda jelled.

I'm now happily editing and storing cool reverbs. The word "reverb" barely does some of these sounds justice. It's kinda crazy.

Anyway... quiet pedal, buffered and unbuffered stereo and mono output, great sounds, not the easiest on the market to learn.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I was thinking the same thing the other day, the built-in digital reverb on my Marshall leaves a great deal to be desired ("digital" sounding, and clips harshly when I combine it with another digital pedal, especially in the effects loop) and I miss the simple old 3-spring reverb tank my ancient Gibson amp had. Is there a totally analog spring reverb (or something similar, but not digital) available as a pedal?
https://reverb.com/news/best-spring-reverb-pedals
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

I like the Hall of Fame.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Nice, I see a new pedal in my future! I love the sounds I can get from the JVM210, it kicks righteous arse **except** for the crude reverb. Disappointing, since I nearly always play with some reverb.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 01-23-2018, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Whoa! Stop the presses. An old dog CAN learn new tricks. I had been frustrated and upset by a... uh... "challenging" user interface in the Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal. But a half hour after writing the company asking for help I got an email (good tech department) that pointed out a couple missing pieces in my mind and it all kinda jelled.

I'm now happily editing and storing cool reverbs. The word "reverb" barely does some of these sounds justice. It's kinda crazy.

Anyway... quiet pedal, buffered and unbuffered stereo and mono output, great sounds, not the easiest on the market to learn.
Hey good for you, I was hoping to possibly get it at a fire sale price

But I'm guessing you will find it a useful tool with a massive amount of possibilities from ambient barely noticable to total immersive atmosphere

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-23-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Whoa. Just exploring the sound samples of their web page. That's some crazy cool stuff.

Not sure I'd use it, but it's super cool.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
I ordered the Demeter reverb yesterday, will post my impressions later. I'm a reverb snob, and that one seems to have all the bells and whistles and great reviews, so we'll see if it meets or exceeds my expectations based on my old early 1970's Gibson G-115 transistor amp!
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 01-29-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I would "like" to recommend the Strymon Big Sky, but it's too crazy. I've played with it for weeks now and can barely make heads or tails of how to configure it and neither the online manual or the any of the YouTube videos has helped.
i have the big sky and it is the best reverb going.

you just have to follow the manual and tweak the knobs. you may be making too much of it--make it fun and interesting. did i say to tweak the knobs?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-29-2018, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

I've been playing around with the reverb pedals I have quite a bit lately, running them from a looper so I can just listen while I tweak.

The Big Sky is certainly incredible, tho I don't have much use for all the crazy sounds. The basic reverbs are excellent, but sometimes seem a little "ringy" to me in use, once I don't have the reverb cranked to audition it.

I've come to appreciate the Hall of Fame more after digging into the TonePrint software. The TC isn't as transparent, maybe, but the sounds blend well. With Toneprint you have access to many of the same controls as you have on a fancier reverb, including the big sky. it's pretty clever how they let one knob control multiple attributes, so if you want a reverb that gets darker as it gets longer, for example, you can do that. Each knob can control up to 3 parameters, and you can draw a graph of the shape of how the control affects the param anyway you like. I also like that you can program a useful range into the knobs for the toneprint settings. So the reverb delay may go from 0 to 20 seconds, but I'm not likely to use all that, and it makes it hard to dial in a finer-grained selection. But with Toneprint, I can set the Delay knob to range from 1 second to 3, or whatever, making it easier to know what a knob setting corresponds to (straight up is 2 seconds, etc), and giving finer control. And the Mash control is kind of fun, too.

The Neunabar also allows you to tweak with their software, and it just sounds good off the bat, but it doesn't have that same level of detailed control over the params as the Toneprint/TC.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 PM

For the last two months I've been using a Keeley Delay Workstation that is both Reverb and Delay in one pedal. And it really sounds good! I only use the delay for a few songs, but the reverb is on for the whole gig. There are 6 types of reverb and 2 delays which are adjusted with the reverb controls on top, and 8 types of delays for the delay controls on the bottom. I have mine setup for a Hall Reverb that is very adjustable, and a Tape Delay which is very organic sounding. The tempo of the Delays are controlled by a tap tempo button. and you can tap in the tempo before you turn on the delay!

This is a very easy pedal to dial a good sound with.

https://robertkeeley.com/product/delay-workstation/

Last edited by rockabilly69; 01-29-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM

https://www.boss.info/us/products/frv-1/

I compared the Boss ‘63 Reverb pedal to a vintage Fender Reverb in my local shop. I found it identical. I run mine into a ‘58 Tweed Deluxe. If you want a Fender sound without bells, whistles, cats, trains, drifting upwards or downwards, this is the way to go.

For oddball weirdness, I got one of these:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/t2-reverb/
Old 01-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master V2 - At $200 is bordering on "breaking the bank' territory, but will blow any other reverb pedal (and about all on-board reverbs) clean out of the water. Also has a wonderful delay. EQD pretty much rules.
I own this pedal and the HOF. Different animals. The Earthquaker with the delay built into is just great. Sweet!

The HOF is really growing on me, so many flavors to play with. I bought mine new on ebay for 95 bucks shipped. (open box)
Both are keepers.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:00 PM

Might check out a small producer (AJ Peat) who has a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy. Money back and he'll cover the shipping. No risk.

https://ajpeat.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XGx3PyWBaM

Last edited by Bunchgrass; 01-30-2018 at 12:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars