The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Which notes are most resonant?

The HFN on my M36 is having issues with C#/Db. If I am sitting in front of my monitors I hear the note boom and feedback. Is this a sting frequency on all acoustic guitars or could it just be this guitar has an issue?

It doesn’t not happen on the guitar with the Anthem but that is using a mic and undersaddle so it’s picking up less of the top and also it has an active preamp which may have some EQ shaping built in.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:20 PM

I've really been researching these type of issues a lot lately. If I were you this is what I would do. Since you have the pickup currently installed, with the guitar completely unplugged see if those notes pop. Check the same note in a few places on the fretboard particularly on the bass strings. If they do pop a little more than other notes you should remove the pickup temporarily and repeat the process and see if it goes away. If all that checks out okay it could be that the volume and positioning you're at is at the threshold for feedback. SBT'S in general do all kinds of weird stuff at that point.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

That's an unusual frequency to have trouble with. Most dreadnaughts and OMs have their main chamber resonance at low G or G#. The next one that usually causes trouble is F or F# on the D string, which is the first mode of the top plate.

I agree with GuitarLuva's advise for diagnosing.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Good info here so far. Per your request, I tried my guitars through my powered speaker which has a mixer on it (Line 6 L3T) and I'm not experiencing this phenomenon. I got the volume up to a decent level and everything was ok.

Are you experiencing this live, at home, or both? Could be the room or volume.

FWIW: I did all testing without the dexter. I tried it with and without my red eye. I went up and down the neck to see if I could get anything weird (besides my playing) happening. Hope you get it sorted out.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
…If I am sitting in front of my monitors I hear the note boom and feedback.
Hi A-USA

Facing a loud monitor which is 3-5 feet from the face of an acoustic guitar can create feedback depending on the volumes at which you operate it (whether sitting or standing).

You did not indicate if it's a loud monitor, or how close is "in front of my monitors…"? What is the speaker configuration of the monitor, and how is it powered.

These are as relevant to the issue as the type of pickup and guitar being used.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Ah it happened with another body sensor type pickup as well. It must be the nature of it and also the room (it’s in a corner).

Anyway a notch easily tamed it down.

It doesn’t seem to be an issue with a UST but then they don’t pickup the top that much.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…It doesn’t seem to be an issue with a UST but then they don’t pickup the top that much.
Hi A-USA

And it's almost non-existent with a magnetic pickup. But the mag and under saddle pickups don't sound that good.

Any pickup of quality which enhances the acoustic nature of an acoustic guitar (amplified) is probably a good thing.

Having played dual source rigs (internal pickup and internal mic) for nearly 20 years, carrying either a Big-Black-Plug (feedback buster) or a Lute Hole cover will tame feedback adequately for playing in bands with a fairly solid stage volume.

My nemesis is venues where they want to push the bass in the room via over-use of sub-woofers. I have zero problems with just inserting the feedback buster and proceeding as normal. The audience hears no difference…and they are who count.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Ah it happened with another body sensor type pickup as well. It must be the nature of it and also the room (it’s in a corner).

Anyway a notch easily tamed it down.

It doesn’t seem to be an issue with a UST but then they don’t pickup the top that much.
Glad you got it figured out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
That's an unusual frequency to have trouble with. Most dreadnaughts and OMs have their main chamber resonance at low G or G#. The next one that usually causes trouble is F or F# on the D string, which is the first mode of the top plate.

I agree with GuitarLuva's advise for diagnosing.
I usually take mental notes of this stuff. Not even his pickup and he offers to chime in with his knowledge and experience. A demonstration of pure class...nice to see! And no, I'm not saying this because you agreed with me previously I'm saying it cause I mean it and credit is due where it's deserved!
Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I usually take mental notes of this stuff. Not even his pickup and he offers to chime in with his knowledge and experience. A demonstration of pure class...nice to see! And no, I'm not saying this because you agreed with me previously I'm saying it cause I mean it and credit is due where it's deserved!
Thank you for the compliment. I learn a lot from this forum and all of you who contribute their experience with an attitude of trying to be helpful. I try to do the same.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 03-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Yes James is great and it’s good that we can all learn from these things!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification