The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2015, 04:10 PM

Default Lr Baggs Anthem, settings

So I got the full Anthem installed in my new Eastman. Very pleased so far. It sounded great from first plugging in and very quickly find the sweetspot.

So I thought it would be interesting to hear how you set yours up? Is there a reason not to have it set at full mic? To me that sounds, not surprisingly, the best. But i guess itīs maybe easier to get feedback that way.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:30 PM

The tru-mic portion of the Anthem is actually very feedback resistant. If you like the full blend tone then definitely keep with it! Here's the thing though, even with the blend all the way to the tru-mic side, you are still getting the Element UST in the blend for the low end. You can get 100% UST but never 100% tru-mic. This is a good thing though as the tru-mic needs some low end.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

I just have the Anthem SL version in my 6 and 12 string guitars; I like them a lot, too, and I'm glad you're happy with yours!

Only recently have I had the chance to fiddle with one of the Full Anthems, and it can do some cool stuff... Doug Young has an excellent video on "how it works" on the Baggs website (I believe he was doing a review of the unit for Acoustic Guitar magazine?).

It seems that, once you move the dial from "full True-Mic" that the Element UST begins to both move up in the mix and the UST begins reproducing ALL the frequencies, whereas in the "full" setting, it ONLY handles frequencies from 250 and lower... Certainly, if you found yourself playing in a full band where feedback was a problem, using more, if not all, of the UST signal would help with that...

Don't forget, you can always set the balance between the True-Mic and the Element (again, for the full mic position) by adjusting that tiny setscrew on the control module. With my SLs, I was told by Brian, the tech at Baggs, to set it using the system that I play through... and he warned me that, through another system or amp, I might need to set it up again to my tastes...

My two rigs are a Bose L1 Model II and an AER Compact 60; fortunately, the same balance setting works well with both...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 11-30-2015, 06:54 AM

Since you asked, I run my Anthem SL through a Boss GE-7, as there really isn't a relative mic level setting (relative to the UST level) which is totally satisfying to me. With my particular rig, I find myself needing to cut some of the low mids, as well as also needing to roll off the high end.

Here are the approximate GE-7 slider settings which I prefer to use when running thru my SoloAmp.

100Hz, -4db
200Hz, -6db
400Hz, -4db
800Hz, -2db
1.6KHz, 0db
3.2KHz, -2.5db
6.4KHz, -5db

My particular Anthem-equipped guitar has a cedar top, so it tends to be heavy in the low mids naturally. Its also possible that the Anthem SL system tends to be a little strong in the low mids because the crossover frequency is 250Hz. I suspect that both the UST and the Tru Mic are are contributing to the output signal in the vicinity of 250Hz.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 AM

In my Taylor dread I have the true mic all the way up. I run it through a Baggs Session DI and use it's high pass filter set at either 120 or 200hz whichever sounds the best. There is no additional EQ required. If I ran it without the Session I would have to roll off some bass and low mids similar to what you do otherwise it would be too boomy.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-30-2015, 09:27 AM

I have a cedar top / mahogany back and sides Larrivee. I found that through an amp or a Board I need to cut the mids dramatically. The TRU Mic setting I use is slightly below the factory preset. For wahtever reason, setting it much above factory default gives weird overtones in the high frequencies. I think it also depends a lot on whether you use a DI with EQ capabilities and with a PA.
I dont have one, but I'm willing to bet that would change things.
Anyway, with the settings i use through my amp, I am able to duplicate my guitar's tone really well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification