The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 AM

Default Major scale breakthrough

I've been mostly learning the major scale with Justin Sandercoe's course (justinguitar.com).

I've continued to persevere with playing the G major scale in position 1 (E shape of Caged) and position 2(D shape of Caged) yet have felt underwhelmed with my progress / ability to noodle along. My noodling (which admittedly I've not done in a while) was fine but just underwhelming (to me).

My wife said it sounded fine. And it was good noodling, but it just didn't compare to what I see others do in the improv area.

Since then I've pushed a lot more on position 2 and reinforced by practicing position 1. Today I went back to his lesson and finally the penny has dropped as he covered playing / incorporating both positions together. Wow. What I've seen others do in improv I now realize is within my grasp. Still lots more work to but feeling particularly encouraged!!!!!

When I first tried traversing the two positions (effectively making them one big scale), it was a bit hit and miss and I thought I would have days of work for it to just flow. Picked up the guitar a couple more times tonight and not for long periods of time and it's flowing already. No doubt that will get even better with practice.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

It sounds good. Achieving a new plateau is always a great feeling.

Remember phrasing is very important and part of that is to mimic the phrasing of human speech along with the pauses for breathing.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
It sounds good. Achieving a new plateau is always a great feeling.

Remember phrasing is very important and part of that is to mimic the phrasing of human speech along with the pauses for breathing.
Thanks, yeah, been doing that since the very first bit of noodling. Getting slow phrases happening is my challenge. I guess that's no surprise given I talk fast.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write