The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-16-2018, 05:32 PM

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.
  • Guitar arrived.
  • Following JustinGuitar beginning classes.
  • Fingers sore already.

Can't wait to try following footsteps of folks like Riley Puckett, Maybelle Carter, and Frank Stokes.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:53 PM

Hi Skillet,
Best of luck and welcome to he forum. There's some amazing help and advice to be found here.

I started up again at 61 years old (I was actually not good when I gave it up at 30-something). Now I'm constantly amazed at the skills I just assumed I had, so I keep a list on the coffee table to remind myself. The list goes like this:
Your strumming will suck if you don't practice it
Your arpeggios will suck if you don't practice them
Your chord changes will suck..... you get the idea.

This guitar thing seems to be a series of little tiny things that I expected to be easy. Everyday I learn some more, and that's what makes any journey worth taking.
Good Luck!!

LEFTY
Martin Custom Shop 000-28
Taylor 312ce 12-fret
Crafter TA 080/AM
Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 PM

Assuming (I know, I know) that you want to play material from the folk/rock/pop/country world, learn the sets of chords that comprise the 1-4-5. G-C-D, D-A-G, C-F-G, etc. You probably know this from playing piano. Practice changing between them. That's the quickest path to having fun with a guitar.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Lots of great advice here. A couple of things, I tell my folks that you are never too old to learn and I believe that because I have seen it. I taught my mom to play and she started at 72....

Stick with it, don't give up. Take some breaks and don't over do it.

Learngin to play in rhythm is the most important thing and changing chords is the most difficult thing from what I have seen from years of working with people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write