The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Tremolo Pedal

I was looking around and made some inquiries on other sights about what others use for a tremolo pedal. I wanted to keep it lower budget but I also wanted something that was useful and not a one trick pony. I'm kind of a geek and love to play with gagdets and came across the Source Audio Vertigo Tremolo pedal. Been wanted to try some sounds in stereo and since my RC-3 is stereo as well thought it might be kind of cool to try.
This thing is a trip and can be hooked up to your smart phone to set presets from leslie speaker simulations to crazy chorus effects. It has gotten great reviews on YouTube.
Just wondering if anyone else has ever used one? If so, would be curious what you thought of it?
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 AM

Bought a Cool Cat several years ago, to go with my Bugera V22 (later V5) and Frontman 212R - $29 at Sam Ash...

No chorus, no Leslie, no iPhone interface, no deep editing, no downloadable settings...

Speed and depth controls, and a two-position switch to select between (what sounds like to me) bias modulation/optocoupler tones...

Takes me through the gamut of late tweed/blonde/blackface Fender, Ampeg, and British-style tones with a minimum of dial-twisting, depending on which amp I'm using...

Sometimes less really is more...
Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 AM

I have a digitech ventura vibe. It has 3 effects, Univibe, modern tremolo, and Leslie.

It's got 6 knobs IIRC, 2 regular and 2 concentric pairs.

It's honestly way complicated already and feels hard to dial in what you want. I'd be worried about something that hooked up to the computer being even more ridiculous.

My amp doesn't have tremolo, all I really would want is something that could basically do what a Fender amp with tremolo does.. that's all I want/need. Most of these pedals seem like way overkill, including the Vibe that I bought.

With mine it seems the key is actually getting the blend right.. too much wet signal and it just makes everything too dark.

Sounds like the cool cat would have been more my style. But I'd imagine at some point I'll learn some song where the Ventura Vibe sounds amazing.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:46 AM

I have a Fulltone Supa-Trem2. It sounds wonderful and is ultra simple.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

I haven't shopped a tremelo pedal in years, but I own a Danelectro Tuna Melt. $25 and a killer sound. No tap tempo or anything, but it gives every trem sound I'm looking for.

I've also spent a good bit of time using the Fulltone Trem and its a fantastic pedal, but a much higher end one.

Can't go wrong with either pedal.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars