The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Guest 1511

Default The worst thing you can see when you get a new guitar from Fedex/UPS

That little sticker that says "wait 24 hours before opening."

It came from Nashville and spent a day traveling up to Indiana so it may have gotten chilly. I think it was down to 35 around those parts yesterday. It got to Oakland early this morning and started warming back up. I could probably open it and nothing would happen. Right? Sigh, I won't though. I waited this long. Another day won't kill me. I swear though if this was a less expensive guitar I'd do it. I would!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:40 PM

I think the worst is when you are tracking a package and it suddenly shows up as "delivered" when it wasn't delivered to you. I've had that happen twice recently. If you look up "frustration" in the dictionary, you will find the 800 number for Fed Ex customer service.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Au contraire, I believe that the absolute worst thing you can see when you accept the delivery of a new guitar is part of the guitar poking itself through a hole in the box.....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM

I've always opened immediately upon receipt many new solid wood and laminated but I don't tune them up or play for an hour or so. Never had a problem. I just sit and oogle for an hour.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 02-08-2018, 05:46 PM

I was expecting something about forklift holes in the box. Or tire tracks.

So whaddja get?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:14 PM

Last guitar that arrived for me (used) came in a white takamine box... With big ugly black bootprints all over it! Yikes!

Everything looked great instead, though...
Old 02-08-2018, 06:22 PM

While not UPS or FedEx... A few years ago when living in Mexico and moving back to the states a "friend" (without my prior knowledge) stick my classical guitar in a box and drop it off at the local Mexican shipping place. 8 weeks later a box with a guitar bag, and some splinters arrived on my doorstep They didn't know that I intended to return in a couple weeks to retrieve it.

Don't think you can get much worse than that. Here's what it looked like when in Mexico...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Classical_guitar.jpg (28.0 KB, 598 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-08-2018, 06:56 PM

Actually happened to me once with UPS and a box of 100 VHS tapes back in the day. The UPS truck ran over the box with the dual rear wheels smashing almost every tape into pieces. When I filed the claim UPS initially denied it as "improperly packaged" because the tapes did not have 3" of packing material surrounding them. It took 3 months of fighting but I eventually got reimbursed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
I was expecting something about forklift holes in the box. Or tire tracks.

So whaddja get?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
While not UPS or FedEx... A few years ago when living in Mexico and moving back to the states a "friend" (without my prior knowledge) stick my classical guitar in a box and drop it off at the local Mexican shipping place. 8 weeks later a box with a guitar bag, and some splinters arrived on my doorstep:
I see the pic of it in Mexico, but you need to upload the "after" pic.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 PM

The worst thing was when the Razo guitar I bought from a forum member arrived with a clean break of the neck. The seller refunded me and got some money back from Fedex. But I would have rather had the guitar (whole, that is).
Old 02-08-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
I see the pic of it in Mexico, but you need to upload the "after" pic.

No "after" pic... There was virtually nothing to photograph. The shipping company didn't bother to even deliver the entire guitar... Just a few splinters left in the case. I didn't take it when I originally left because I was returning home already with EIGHT cases and only had a soft gig bag... therefore I planned on returning to pick it up.

There is a silver lining in that cloud... I decided to buy another guitar which turned into two...which turned into 13!... and and a serious avocation (again).
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-08-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johbren View Post
I've always opened immediately upon receipt many new solid wood and laminated but I don't tune them up or play for an hour or so. Never had a problem. I just sit and oogle for an hour.
Yeah well, me too. But that is not the accepted norm here, there is some sort of mandatory drama time between receipt and opening of package. I don't know when this happened, in the hundred of guitars I've dealt with through the shipping systems for a variety of reasons over the decades, that memo was never with one of them.

It is an odd world we live in these days.

rct
Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I think the worst is when you are tracking a package and it suddenly shows up as "delivered" when it wasn't delivered to you. I've had that happen twice recently. If you look up "frustration" in the dictionary, you will find the 800 number for Fed Ex customer service.
Exactly why I have mine held at the local UPS/FedEx hubs for pickup. Then it's always on my time?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 PM

The danger in opening the box, and then the case, when the guitar has been subjected to extreme cold, is that the wood and the finish will warm up and expand at different rates, shattering the finish like glass and creating the phenomenon called "weather checking". Nitrocelulose finishes are most susceptible.

Lots of older guitars have been exposed to repeated warm/cold/warm shock and exhibit weather checking, which does not adversely impact the tone. But on a newer guitar, it definitely impacts the value.

So, go slow. Wait until the box feels warm to the touch. Then remove the case and let it warm up some more. Once the case latches are warm to the touch, it is safe to open and ogle.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 02-08-2018, 07:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
That little sticker that says "wait 24 hours before opening."

It came from Nashville and spent a day traveling up to Indiana so it may have gotten chilly. I think it was down to 35 around those parts yesterday. It got to Oakland early this morning and started warming back up. I could probably open it and nothing would happen. Right? Sigh, I won't though. I waited this long. Another day won't kill me. I swear though if this was a less expensive guitar I'd do it. I would!
At least the box wasn't damaged!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion