The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2015, 08:50 PM

Default Martin Authentic Owners

What do you use to amplify your Authentic for live use? Need suggestions. Having a hard time thinking about putting anything inside it. Thinking of just micing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2015, 11:08 PM

I've converted all of my acoustics to the K&K Pure Mini, including my 2011 '37 D-18A.

Love 'em!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:55 AM

A friend of mine recently purchased an Authentic and was having the same debate.

I pointed out to him there are several pickups that can be installed in the guitar with no ill effects that can also be removed afterwards if you ever changed your mind or wanted to sell.

He agreed that expanding the end pin hole to accommodate a jack was not actually a big deal as if its done properly its easily re-pluggable with a larger endpin and you'd probably never know it had been done.

He considered the Trance Audio pickup as that attaches by tape to the underside of the bridge, its not just some regular tape though, look into it if you are interested, but that attaches and is removed very easily and cleanly.

In the end he went for the Miniflex 2mic system, all he did was have the endpin hole expanded and then you just attach the Miniflex through this hole and you're done. He loves it, and he's happy, it sounds great and it was so little modification he agreed it was worth it.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:08 AM

I look at my instruments as tools, not a Stradivarius. Fix that guitar up to play and have fun the way it was intended. I've swapped pickups out of $5k electric guitars for the same reason.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
What do you use to amplify your Authentic for live use? Need suggestions. Having a hard time thinking about putting anything inside it. Thinking of just micing...
I've put a K&K in my friend's '41 Authentic (and all my various D-28s) and his D-18V and his Gibson F-5.

I like 'em. So do the guys in my band (I've installed them in my bass player's '35 Greven D-28 and my rhythm guitarist's old D-35).

K&K with a K&K Pure XLR preamp...

If I manage to swing a '37 D-28 Authentic, it'll get one, too. Heck, if I managed to swing an authentic '37 D-28, IT would get a K&K!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:36 PM

Default Martin Authentic Owners

Looking at the k&k meridian or the dpa 4099? Anybody have any experience with either? A friend of mine has the dpa it is amazing!!! But if I can get away with half the price with the k&k I'll go that route

Maybe even the mini flex model 2 I just seen it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 06:08 PM

It'll depend on the setting and types of music you play. Microphones are the best at sound reproduction but the worst for loud ensemble music or noisy venues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification