The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Default guitar fraud

Just a note to warn anyone selling a guitar on musical instrument sales. I have my Gibson AJ for sale and recieved an email from a guy called James Brown1111@yahoo wanting to buy it. The email sounded dodgy and had many gramatical errors. Also, the guy wanted to pay by a bank draft. I put his email address into google to find out he is linked with fraud.

if you copy and paste the info below into google you can read more on their website.

Be careful folks. How dare these criminals steal away what we are all so passionate about.

Ray

musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk
Bogus Buyers Scams -Scam emails - Bogus Buyers e-mail addresses.[/I]
Old 11-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Ray View Post
Just a note to warn anyone selling a guitar on musical instrument sales. I have my Gibson AJ for sale and recieved an email from a guy called James Brown1111@yahoo wanting to buy it. The email sounded dodgy and had many gramatical errors. Also, the guy wanted to pay by a bank draft. I put his email address into google to find out he is linked with fraud.

if you copy and paste the info below into google you can read more on their website.

Be careful folks. How dare these criminals steal away what we are all so passionate about.

Ray

Yeah, good point. Even here on AGF, scammers are lurking looking to scam people out of their guitars. Please everybody be careful. I would almost suggest selling only to established AGF members with a decent comment count. But that is narrowing the filed perhaps a bit too much. Still, be caution. Also remember that when purchasing an intrument with paypal, if you send money as a gift rather for goods (to avoid fees), there is no buyer protection offered.

Last edited by acoustic_moose; 11-22-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic_moose View Post
Yeah, good point. Even here on AGF, scammers are lurking looking to scam people out of their guitars. Please everybody be careful. I would almost suggest selling only to established AGF members with a decent comment count. But that is narrowing the filed perhaps a bit too much. Still, be caution. Also remember that when purchasing an intrument with paypal, if you send money as a gift rather for goods (to avoid fees), there is no buyer protection offered.
using gift to avoid paypal fees is fraud, but thiefs everywhere. you have no protection here from paypal except that if you didnt receive the guitar. paypal really only covers ebay.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 PM

I've bought and sold a number of guitars on Ebay. Most of the transactions have been smooth. However, as of late, some buyers are holding sellers hostage via feed-back ratings asking for a partial refund.

Now I try Craigslist as much as possible. That waythe buyer comes to you and hands you $$$$$

Regards,
Les
Old 11-22-2010, 04:40 PM

I have sold a couple of guitars on ebay in the past and luckily all went well but i plan on keeping the AJ now and getting used to the neck. If i ever sell now i will deal in pick up only and cash. My sister inlaw has a flower shop and i will borrow her note pen to check the notes.

Safest way
Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post
using gift to avoid paypal fees is fraud, but thiefs everywhere. you have no protection here from paypal except that if you didnt receive the guitar. paypal really only covers ebay.
Doesn't the "gift" option just bill the sender rather than the receiver? How is that fraud? Paypal still gets theirs.

-Dave
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26ce, 2006 Blueridge BR-361, 2011 GSMini, 1980 Ovation something or othe, Taylor 714cer
Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Ray View Post

Ray

This is actually a pretty common craigslist scam. Had two items over $100 listed on Craigslist, both guitar related. Got emails with the exact same verbiage 1 minute apart. Answered both, got exactly the same message back on both saying consider the items sold and they would send a bank draft or money order.

The scam is they send the "wrong" money order have you cash it and return the difference. Then the money order or cashiers check bounces.

If something is too good to be true, it probably is.

-Dave
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26ce, 2006 Blueridge BR-361, 2011 GSMini, 1980 Ovation something or othe, Taylor 714cer
Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM

I find it to be a terrible shame that fraud and swindling has crept into almost all aspects of our lives lately. This insidious malevolence has robbed a lot of us of more than just money, it steals our peace of mind. I used to always be an optimist when dealing with my fellow man, but now, and I am ashamed to say this, I often wonder what is the other person's "angle" ? Am i being scammed in some way. I want to think the best of people. I feel that it is a total waste of my time as well as a disservice to my fellow man to think the worst, but I find myself questioning things more now than I used to. Sorry for the rant, and thanks in advance for not "flaming" me too much. I will go now and pray for me, my fellow man, and all Ebay sellers.

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 11-22-2010, 04:54 PM

Sounds very similar. My girlfriend is pretty sharp and noticed right away it was odd. just ridiculous that people would do this. Mind you, they dont need to fool many people to end up making a huge amount of money. Some people must get caught out.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Will you ship to Nigeria?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:13 PM

ha ha good one
Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Thanks for sniffing this out and sharing AJ.

Remember fellas, if you look in a gift horse in the mouth, be aware ya may get licked.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Pleasure. I didn't realy sniff it out but i was on the verge of losing my guitar and possibly some money. I certainly couldn't afford another gibson without selling mine first.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic_moose View Post
This is good advice. Nevertheless, I just wanted to point out that I purchased a used guitar via AGF classifieds as a new member with very few posts and everything went better than expected on both sides of the transaction.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:38 PM

I like the idea of doing business with trusted friends here, but due diligence is always a good idea. This might be a good time to note that the AGF offers nothing more than a point of contact via our Classifieds. Any and all details of deals originating there are the sole responsibility of the persons involved. We do not even welcome feedback.

So even when dealing with fellow AGFers, do your homework first. Don't be scared, be thorough, whether buying, selling or trading. That said, I've had nothing but first class experiences in doing business with my friends here.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion