The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Default Rex guitar kay ?

A guy sells this guitar and i would like to know how much it worth. Itīs a kay he says made in USA but the headstock says REX.

I would like to know if the wood could be all solid aswell.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

It hath the look of Kay about it, perhaps relabeled by a music store? I didn't google Rex, though.

It looks laminate to me when I focus in on the f holes. Lots of arch tops are molded laminates--lots easier than carving an arch.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
It hath the look of Kay about it, perhaps relabeled by a music store? I didn't google Rex, though.

It looks laminate to me when I focus in on the f holes. Lots of arch tops are molded laminates--lots easier than carving an arch.
Oh alright, so i guess that itīs not worth so much then?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 PM

There was never a guitar company named Rex. During the 1920s and early 1930s Gretsch-made guitars were sold under the Rex and 20th Century names. After that Rex guitars were made by Kay and Harmony and distributed by Gretsch.

Last edited by zombywoof; 04-19-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Kay made a ton of guitars that wound up with names on the headstock other than Kay...so it well might be a Kay.

It's worth something if it's playable...but not a lot. What's he asking for it if I may ask?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:21 PM

It almost appears to aver a left hand nut.
Dan
Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

...i've had a lot of Kay archtops....the Rex pictured does not look like any of them...the headstock shape would be "unusual"...as would the bound f holes,(or faux painted...i can't tell)...the neck inlay and the all birch construction are atypical as well...harmony made a lot of all birch guitars....some of them archtops...it looks more harmony than kay to me but i wouldn't say for sure which one....both kay and harmony made guitars that were rebranded but i think harmony did more of that than kay......the birch would suggest that it is in all probability solid as nearly all of the birch guitars i've seen from that era are solid...no need to laminate a flatsawn wood that is unlikely to split or crack...the top would be a pressed archtop rather than carved.... tonewise it might sound pretty good...the best examples are loud and zingy with enough warmth to keep em from being annoyingly skranky...i've head some that are pretty poor as well...i'm not familiar with that particular model so there again i couldn't say....it looks worth taking for a spin...assuming its playable...i would estimate the value between 1 and 200 dollars...

Last edited by J Patrick; 04-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 PM

The board on the guitar does look very similar to that on something like a Kay K-44 (which this guitar is definitely not). I have been playing Kays for decades and currently have three in the house (one round soundhole archtop and two flat tops) and agree that the headstock does not look like anything I have seen on a Kay. If the guitar is in overall good conditon, has a solid wood pressed top and a good playable neck I would value it a tad higher at around $225-$250.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 AM

Thanks alot for the answers, the price he is asking for it would be 144,80 USD.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post

The edge of the f-holes are bound. How can you tell that it is laminate?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:09 AM

The first question is the condition, especially the neck. If it is in great condition and the neck is perfectly straight with the strings at the perfect height for easy playing, then I might offer $100 at the most. If it needs a neck reset or similar fixing then it would be a $20 wall decoration for a trendy restaurant.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Gaffer View Post
The edge of the f-holes are bound. How can you tell that it is laminate?
I'm not sure they are bound. It looks faux bound--as if the "binding" is white sealer of some sort. It doesn't look smooth.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 AM

If is it a lower end model, painted on "binding" and position markers are not all that unusual. If the neck is good (which is a big question mark) $144.50 is not out of the ballpark. Bring cash and offer a bit less.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Zombie. The action looks high to me so it may take some work to get this guitar playable. That being said, it's a cool looking piece of Americana.

I learnt to play on a Kay flat top--and still own it. When I retire, I'm going to have it refurbished.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion