The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 AM

Default Recording King ROS and RP neck profile qu.

EDIT: I actually got a reply from Axle Music directly, so I thought I'd post it here in case any one else had the same question (their answer are in italics):

Dear folks at RK,

I wonder if you can tell me if there is a difference in the neck profile between the ROS guitars and the Schoenberg designed RP guitars?

Yes, there is a significant difference in the profile of these two guitars.

Did you alter the neck thickness on the RPs or just use the same 12 fret necks as on the ROS guitars?

Other than material (mahogany) the RP and ROS necks are quite different (described below).

I own a ROS 627 and it's a superb guitar, I love it but find the deep V neck a bit chunky for me. I also have an RO127 (14 fret) and it's v neck is much shallower and easier to play (perfect for me).

The ROS guitars are a 1-13/16" nut width. They not only have a wider neck, but the profile has more "cheek" on the sides of the V. This definitely creates that chunky feel.
The RP guitars are 1-3/4" nut width, and intentionally have way less cheek. The center of the V is more pronounced.
The RO-127 is more similar to the RP1/RP2 guitars, but not 100% identical.

I'd like to buy a RP1 or RP2C online but I'm not sure what the neck profile is going to be like (hopefully not as deep as the ROS). I'd be really grateful of your first hand knowledge, there are none available to try in the guitar shops near me (Cardiff, Wales).

Either Thomann or EMP from Holland have them in inventory. http://www.recordingking.com/international

Many thanks

Reuben.

Last edited by reub; 01-03-2013 at 05:17 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion