The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Santa Cruz and TI Plectrum strings on an X20

I had been using TI Plectrums on my X20, but with some new strings in order I decided to try the SCGC low tension strings. I love the SCGC strings on my SCGC guitar, so I had high hopes.

The SCGC strings had a bit bolder sound to me compared to the TI's. That is the word that comes to mind anyway. They are not bright or edgy. They play nice with no squeak and are easy on the fingers. The TI's are warmer, more laid back and seem to have a bit more depth. The SCGC strings are nice, but I'm going back to the TI's they seem to create a bit of magic with the X20. At least for me.

The TI's were medium lights .12-.59
The SCGC's were low tension

Last edited by jdinco; 03-13-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 PM

Hi John. The used X20 I got recently came with a new set of “Custom Light” 11-52 Elixirs on it.

I’m too tight to change them before gettin’ some mileage out of them, but they feel a bit floppy for my taste and I think it could be louder.

I will definitely go heavier when I change them , I’ve got some D’Ad ej16(12-54) some Martin PB 13-56 and some Martin monel retros, in both lights and mediums in stock.

I am tempted to try a set of the 13-56 PBs on it next, just to hear what she sounds like next to my “ONE”, a Martin dread that I haven’t had out the case for a while ...
Old 03-13-2018, 09:23 PM

This is intriguing to me, I have never really dug into string differences.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBG View Post
Its a whole nother world. Many threads on this string stuff.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 PM

I just got a Rainsong H-OM. It came with 13-53’s and needed the bridge saddle and nut cut to get the action to my preference. I changed the strings to 11-52’s and now the guitar fits me perfectly.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-14-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Its a whole nother world. Many threads on this string stuff.
There’s really not much too it, string theory is a theoretical framework in which the point-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings. It describes how these strings propagate through space and interact with each other. On distance scales larger than the string scale, a string looks just like an ordinary particle, with its mass, charge, and other properties determined by the vibrational state of the string. In string theory, one of the many vibrational states of the string corresponds to the graviton, a quantum mechanical particle that carries gravitational force. Thus string theory is a theory of quantum gravity.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
There’s really not much too it, string theory is a theoretical framework in which the point-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings. It describes how these strings propagate through space and interact with each other. On distance scales larger than the string scale, a string looks just like an ordinary particle, with its mass, charge, and other properties determined by the vibrational state of the string. In string theory, one of the many vibrational states of the string corresponds to the graviton, a quantum mechanical particle that carries gravitational force. Thus string theory is a theory of quantum gravity.

Hope this helps.
Well when you put it lake that it is so simple. Thanks
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 AM

I have the SCGC low tension strings on my Shorty now, and am really liking the sound on that guitar vs. my “normal” Elixir PB lights, but am waiting to see how they last.
I had one other set that I put on my X20 before I sold it, and I liked the sound with them on that as well but was looking to solve an issue that caused pain(not soreness) in my fretting hand. I suspect the buyer will chime in on here with his thoughts on the X20 with the low tension strings.
Think I need to buy more, now that I understand string theory, thank you Long Jon!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:37 AM

I bought Frettingflyer's X20 (loving it - thanks!) and the SCGC low tension strings are still on it. I like them, but having tried no other strings on this guitar just yet, so there is no real basis for comparison. He did not tell me how long they have been on there, but they seemed fresh and still seem to be holding up well, and I've had the guitar for about three weeks now. [BTW, X20 was the hit of a regular jam over the weekend, and I had to pry it from one fellow's hands to leave. I suspect he will be looking at the Emerald web site a lot over the coming weeks. I apologized to his wife in advance.....]

Normally I use Elixir Nanoweb medium-lights or D'Addario PB's EJ-17 on my guitars, and I lean toward medium gauge (56-13) most of the time. Since I use a number of alternate tunings, I need heavier bass strings in particular - sometimes the sixth string goes down to C, and the fifth string to F. I have not put the SCGC low-tensions strings though all of my tunings yet - tuning up and down repeatedly is the quickest way to kill a set of strings. I usually save that for the last week before a string change, and otherwise keep certain guitars in different tunings to minimize the changes. For any gutiar that will get tuned up and down normally, I use the lower cost D'Addario's.

I've only played the TI Plectrums once, on a visiting Furch / Stonebridge GA. They seemed similar in concept to the SCGC strings, and were quite nice. That fellow plays in Open C tuning a lot, so he also likes heavier bass strings.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I've had good luck with the SCGC's and the TI's both lasting a good long time. Granted, i don't play for hours everyday though.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Even though I don't have a cf guitar, I loved the SC low tensions when I had them on my J-45. Right now I'm using Titaniums on it, which are fine, but I miss the SC strings. They had a solid tone and great feel to them.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-15-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Even though I don't have a cf guitar, I loved the SC low tensions when I had them on my J-45. Right now I'm using Titaniums on it, which are fine, but I miss the SC strings. They had a solid tone and great feel to them.
Ahhh ... Welcome Mr. Barry, come in, we have been expecting you ... (that was my Blofeld voice)

Hey gang ! We’ve got us a live one !

Let the carbon gassing-up begin....

Old 03-15-2018, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

i understand that, there's nothing that I have close to them on my D12.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber