The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Guest 928

Might want to try them on one of your nylon string guitars. I've like them on nylon instruments, for blues and such. But in the long run found them leaning a bit too far into the steel string sound. I've wondered if they, as a hybrid string, would bring a steel string instrument a bit toward the nylon sound? Looking forward to your report.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:47 PM

I have nothing to add to this discussion,
but right now I am the latest responder to the top five posts here and I’m going for a record.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I have nothing to add to this discussion,
but right now I am the latest responder to the top five posts here and I’m going for a record.
Well done.. shouldn't you be shoveling snow or something?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-11-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Well done.. shouldn't you be shoveling snow or something?
That was yesterday, it’s practically tropical here now.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Rainsong does make a Nylon version of their Parlor.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the NP12 and the P12 is a tie style bridge. The neck is the same as the steel string, and Rainsongs do not have internal braces.

Given the technology, I have a hard time believing that there are any actual structural differences. (obviously the nut slots will be cut wider, and possibly higher)
Different tuning machines, also.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:05 PM

I have a Rainsong WS 9000 nylon guitar and the tunning machine are Grovers and feel just like normal acoustic tuners. As long as you wrap the nylon like Martin does installs their string tuning is stable and changing strings is easy.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I received a reply from Rainsong concerning converting a steel string to a nylon, the tops on the nylon guitars are thinner, here it tis.....Thanks Dave !

We have had a few customers tell us they have done the conversion and have happy with the results. The short answer is you are not going to damage your guitar by changing from steel to nylon strings but you will lose some of the volume. Nylon strings don't have the tension to drive the soundboard the way steel strings do.

We do make a Concert Series parlor guitar with nylon strings. The model number is CO-PA9000NS and it is basically a special order model that replaced the NP12. They have a thinner version of our uni-directional carbon top to compensate for the lower tension.

I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if you need any other information.

Kind regards,

Dave
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Guest 720

I guess I'll experiment with some folks strings first, see what kind of tone I can get from them.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:36 PM

There are plenty of ball end nylon strings out there, including the usual suspects -- Martin and D'Addario. I use the hard tension ones to better approximate the fretting resistance of steel strings. I've even been known to harvest the little ball ends from old steel string sets, and use those on tie-end type nylon strings.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...guitar-strings
http://search.juststrings.com/search...+nylon+strings
http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...2-14c7fc3ae93c
Old 03-12-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
harvest the little ball ends from old steel string sets, and use those on tie-end type nylon strings.
I don't remember said harvest whilst growing up on the farm in NJ... must be a recent development.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Guest 928

Oh LJ, hate to break your heart, but only five threads at a time? One day, in a moment of leisure, on the old carbon Fiber guitar forum, I hit every thread in a row. I thought I won the race, but then it turned out that someone else had done it in less time. You pick a hard race to win. Stiff upper lip time and good luck.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:34 AM

High tension carbon strings would be best for the trebles as these will give you much more tension. I prefer a normal tension High E though.

The only problem is that they tension can be high enough that the strings will slip through their own knots. If you have a slotted bridge you could probably make a super knot that doesn't slip, worth a try anyway.

I'm not sure how many times you'll need to wrap the strings around those steel-string tuners though.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-13-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Oh LJ, hate to break your heart, but only five threads at a time? One day, in a moment of leisure, on the old carbon Fiber guitar forum, I hit every thread in a row. I thought I won the race, but then it turned out that someone else had done it in less time. You pick a hard race to win. Stiff upper lip time and good luck.
Very diplomatic of you not to mention the culprit by name , I also hope I am classy enough to do the same.

Kramster gets enough mentions already.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Kramster gets enough mentions already.
Not sure how this could happen... but now that you mention it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber