The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Earl will be burnt at the stake at sunrise !
No chance, Earl ain’t out o’ bed much before noon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Wanna turn that full gloss Shorty NS neck to a satin finish without breaking the bank? See below.....
[IMG][/IMG]
You say it’s an economical method, but what you gonna do with the other 5 pads they force you to buy ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Scotchbrite can also make a stainless steel sink look brand again new too.
OK, Earl’s got the answer !
Old 03-10-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Hey MiG50. You have good taste in guitars....and....necks.

Well since you are already a fellow Shorty owner, there is a work around to your situation. Like you, I prefer a satin neck and I'm not worried about modifications to my guitar- this Shorty isn't going anywhere. Wanna turn that full gloss Shorty NS neck to a satin finish without breaking the bank? See below.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
This looks great.... do you tape off the areas you do not want to ruff up? Also is the trick to the the direction you rub? Did you go north/south or east/west? Did you tape off the areas of the frett markers? Just curious as you did a great job.

Thanks!!!

Chris
Old 03-10-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
This looks great.... do you tape off the areas you do not want to ruff up? Also is the trick to the the direction you rub? Did you go north/south or east/west? Did you tape off the areas of the frett markers? Just curious as you did a great job.

Thanks!!!

Chris
Thanks Chris! Gotta love the forum as I learned the tip here. Yep, you mask off if you want a sharp line- I used blue painter’s tape. On the heel end I used progressively less pressure to “feather” into the gloss finish for a more transitional effect. I initially went with the length of the neck and then crossways- it doesn’t take much effort at all. However, if you do it be careful! I unintentionally grazed the top with the pad and had to buff out some minor scratches. I then finished with 0000 steel wool (which I’ve used for some time on wood necks). Very happy with the results.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:35 PM

Back to the topic at hand. I have a Lucky 13 and an X20. Both are very different animals. If I had to have a third I'd either go 12 string (think X20 again) or travel guitar. I use both of the ones I have for traveling right now, but I think I might like something that is smaller without sacrificing scale length too much.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at something like what I already have, so I can only offer the same comments on the X20 that you have gotten from others.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Back to the topic at hand. I have a Lucky 13 and an X20. Both are very different animals. If I had to have a third I'd either go 12 string (think X20 again) or travel guitar. I use both of the ones I have for traveling right now, but I think I might like something that is smaller without sacrificing scale length too much.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at something like what I already have, so I can only offer the same comments on the X20 that you have gotten from others.
You know, I hadn't even thought about a 12 string. I have a dread. size and now a travel size and I was thinking more of a middle size like an OM. A 12 string though, that's a good suggestion. Kramster was right.3rd FINAL, CF guitar, ha ,who am I kidding. The CA Legacy, a Rainsong CH-OM, a Rainsong or Emerald 12 string and my Journey OF660. That should round it out, right? Back to 4 guitars. I need a bigger boat.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmsstrider01 View Post
Back to 4 guitars. I need a bigger boat.
There's your solution! Just when I thought we were settled on four CF guitars between us, the opportunity arose to buy a used matching green X20. Alice tried an X7 in Phoenix at the Carbonfest, and now one is on the way. So much for downsizing..... I really have to start selling off the wood guitars now - all the closets are full and they never get played. At least the carbon guitars can live out on wall hangers, and their cases can live in the shop, rather than be handy for humidifcation.

Note: At a local jam yesterday I brought both the X20 and X20-12 to join two Rainsongs (WS-1000 and DR-1000). We only had one wood guitar there. I had to pry my X20 out of the hands of one fellow to leave, and now his wife is mad at me. "Not yet another guitar!!"
Old 03-11-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Hey MiG50. You have good taste in guitars....and....necks.

Well since you are already a fellow Shorty owner, there is a work around to your situation. Like you, I prefer a satin neck and I'm not worried about modifications to my guitar- this Shorty isn't going anywhere. Wanna turn that full gloss Shorty NS neck to a satin finish without breaking the bank? See below.....
I've been tempted to try this sort of method, especially based on how much I prefer the satin neck on the CH versus the gloss on the Shorty. Just a little smoother and easier to slide around on. I'll put this idea in my back pocket, just in case I decide to go that route. The old trick was to use fingerless gloves with a piece of fine-grit sandpaper glued in the palm, and then just play the guitar a ton. But the CF might be less appropriate for that method!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber