The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
What if EL KABONG had a CF guitar?...oops... off topic..I mean OT
It would still be in tune after the head whacking.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Kerbie, if you can link this thread with the "Sophie's Choice" one, let's go for it. Seems that the "Who Knew?" theme would fit right in with the wandering style of that previous thread.

This morning, I was playing some Christmas songs for the Blonde and the furry girl (no, those are not one and the same), and decided to slip in a bit of acoustic blues.

We have a long-running family joke with this song. After doing several of her favorites a couple years ago, Joan said, "Play me another love song."

I pulled out Born Under A Bad Sign. Fortunately, she has a sense of humor, but hasn't forgotten that... now, when she asks for "a love song," we both know I'm going to play this.

I decided to give recording this one a shot this morning...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/born-under-a-bad-sign
Old 12-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Will do, Jim.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Good job on the "Bad Sign" Jim, one of my favorites songs of all time.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Good job on the "Bad Sign" Jim, one of my favorites songs of all time.
Thanks, John - I am having fun with it. The process is sure different from solo playing, where I can change up the timing, put in an extra pause... different "planning ahead" for bass and drums.

---------

And on a completely unrelated tangent, we put the boat back in on Christmas Eve; got a short outing late this afternoon. I needed this...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-triple.html

And, a preview...

No, that isn't snow - shooting into the sun, late afternoon, water splashing...

Love those faces!

Look at that baby face!

Not music or CF related, but spending time with these cetaceans pumps me up much like making music.

Jim
Old 12-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Will do, Jim.
Thank you!
Old 12-27-2017, 05:45 AM

Keeping in the spirit and flow of this thread...Annual Christmas AM hike in the dessert about an hour from me humble abode..

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

It's my understanding that this thread doesn't have to stay on any topic, and I'M GLAD ! That's some good stuff from Jim and Kramster.

We did a nice hike up a canyon to some waterfalls, but no pictures ! There will be next time.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
It's my understanding that this thread doesn't have to stay on any topic, and I'M GLAD ! That's some good stuff from Jim and Kramster.

We did a nice hike up a canyon to some waterfalls, but no pictures ! There will be next time.
I think it is great to show a slice of life - we all come to this sub-forum for the CF experience, but we aren't one dimensional. It may be the fact that CF isn't "the norm" for the typical guitar player, but I think it shows that those who have embraced it are open to experiences beyond the traditional. By not staying strictly on-topic we also learn more about each other. Putting a thread like this in the Open Mic sub-forum would result in it getting lost.

Nice desert photos, Kramster! When we first spent some time in the desert Southwest, I was a bit shocked by the "lack of greenery" so different from our experiences in the mid-west and the coast. Over time, we have come to appreciate the rugged beauty of the desert.

DHart has also posted some beautiful images of his RainSong in the desert environment in other threads. As long as the mods permit it, I appreciate being able to share here.

"Who knew?" seems appropriate.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I’ve really liked the photos posted by Jim, and I agree that the pics of the desert by DHart and Kramster in particular are breathtaking. My wife and I once did a road trip in a convertible from San Diego to LA, across SoCal to just north of Phoenix into Prescott and Sedona, then through Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam into Las Vegas as the sun was going down. Incredible! What really surprised us was encountering about 6” of snow in the high elevations crossing over into Prescott. The convertible didn’t have good tires for that, but we made it. We’ll visit that region again.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 AM

I certainly don't feel I have much meaningful to add to the discussions, but I do read up on it from time to time and always enjoy the photos. I posted something in the original thread a way back so was subscribed- just as I will be with this one now.

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:59 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Happy New Year and much love to all my carbon fiber friends here on the AGF! Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year. I can't wait to see what happens next in this genre!

JR
Old 12-27-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Happy New Year and much love to all my carbon fiber friends here on the AGF! Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year. I can't wait to see what happens next in this genre!

JR
Look at you going OT...nice... gonna be a good year.... I can feel it.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

A cold, yucky (technical meteorological term) day in the Tropical Tip. Yes, I know much of the country is in a real deep-freeze... by comparison, this isn't that bad. But, 40s here? My only outing will be to meet some friends for lunch, because we already committed.

So, another recording: this time a cover of Carole King's It's Too Late...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/its-too-late

---------

But, the really important news: check out Evan's electric nylon thread... the wait is almost over - it is on its way from Emerald!!
Old 12-28-2017, 05:39 PM

Only in the 70s here...Brrrrrr
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber