The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 09:56 PM

Default Pick guard coming off

My old, well worn/loved Fender acoustic (campfire guitar) is starting to shed its pick guard. Not a fancy guitar, but good for camping, etc. It's about half way off. Easy fix for this?? Imagine I need more than my kid's glue stick. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:05 PM

Carefully pull the pickguard free from the guitar. I strongly recommend that you pull diagonally across the grain, as pulling with the grain can sometimes pull wood fibers up, as can pulling across the grain at a 90˚ angle. So pulling it diagonally across the grain is the safest option.

Squirt some lighter fluid under the pickguard as you're working it loose, to get the adhesive to let go. Regular old Ronsonol lighter fluid works fine, and won't hurt the guitar's finish:

˙˙˙

Once you get the pickguard off, clean the underside with the lighter fluid to get rid of any remaining original adhesive. Then spray some 3M Super 77 on the back of the pickguard and press it back into place.

The last time I went shopping for Super 77 it was in the can shown at the top of these photos, but apparently they've been experimenting with the packaging, which is why I included these other photos. It will hold the pickguard on just fine, again without damaging the original finish.

3M Super 77 Adhesive

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-21-2018, 11:21 PM

Hey you're awesome! Thx For the reply. I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Carefully pull the pickguard free from the guitar. I strongly recommend that you pull diagonally across the grain, as pulling with the grain can sometimes pull wood fibers up, as can pulling across the grain at a 90˚ angle. So pulling it diagonally across the grain is the safest option.....
If only I could read this earlier...

I've just reglued my Hummingbird's pickguard with double-sided tape yesterday. That Super 77 sounds like a better choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion