The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 PM

I started working on the braces then stepped back and reviewed the book. It was then I realized I'd have to cut the rosette and soundhole before doing to the braces. Glad I checked.

I have two bases for the Dremel, the StewMac original and a Micro Plunge base. The Dremel comes in a pretty complete kit. I thought with all that I'd have some way to cut a circle. I was wrong!

So I designed something to fit on the StewMac base because the Micro Plunge is a bit bulky for cutting small holes. The jig I created is made from 1/4" plexiglas.

I gave it a try on the test soundboard.

I had cut two passes on the soundhole and almost finished it when I realized I need to cut the rosette first. Whew! The only issue I had with the circle cutter was with the StewMac base. I hadn't tightened the depth adjustments enough and on the second pass it wiggled off the circle.

I only did one rosette ring and filled it with African mahogany. I'll have to give future rosettes more thought.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair