The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Traveling Laptop

So I'm gearing up to begin traveling over the summer and into the fall and am looking for a computer to come with me. I"ll be doing some live recordings of the shows and want to be able to work on videos and update websites and all that jazz. I really want to pick up either a 12 or 15inch powerbook -- i have one of the old titanium G4s that I am really pleased with -- but have also thought about the ibook G4 because of the signficant drop in price. I'll be doing my recording with garage band and the video editing with a mixture of iMovie and Final Cut Pro, depending on what it is I'm doing. I don't like the idea of editing video on a 12" screen, so that's another consideration. Does the ibook have the horsepower? Thanks for any thoughts

Jonah
Old 11-23-2004, 06:48 PM

My mom has the iBook G4 in the 14" size. Sounds like a better option for video editing. It has a faster processor than my 12" PowerBook, but not the SuperDrive, Bluetooth (which you probably won't need), built-in AirPort card or a larger hard drive. And it is thicker, larger and heavier than the PowerBook. I have gotten so used to taking the 12"-er on the road (fits in a little leatheroid computer backpack I got for ten bucks) and using it as my main machine at home that I have grown accustomed to the small screen. And I do my GarageBand stuff on it far more than I do on the eMac with its 17" screen. I have 640MB of RAM on board and an 800gHz processor, which is way slower than what Apple is offering these days even on iBooks. Nonetheless, I can work on four tracks at a time before I run out of processor power.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification