The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2004, 05:31 AM

Default Custom Mandolin pictures...again (many pics)

As some of you know, I ordered a custom koa Weber Yellowstone mandolin last July, only to have my gratification delayed when an error was made in the manufacture.

Well, the new one is about a month away, and I just got the first set of "in progress" pix on Friday...thought I'd share them here. If anything, I'm liking the looks of the koa on this one better than the last one...

'01 Taylor K14C
'10 Taylor K-65
Baby Taylor Koa
'04 Gibson SJ-200 (Townshend Signature Model)
Weber Koa Yellowstone Mandolin
Weber Big Sky archtop guitar
'05 Fender CS Nocaster (Closet Classic)
'04 Fender CS Masterbuilt '54 Stratocaster
'04 Rickenbacker 660/12 Fireglo
Old 11-23-2004, 11:18 AM

Default When you get that thing

...home, please record something so we can here how it sounds.

http://www.broadcastdepth.com
Old 11-23-2004, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysRecord
...home, please record something so we can here how it sounds.
Ouch...that would require playing it in "public", so to speak. I'll see what I can do...
Old 11-23-2004, 01:54 PM

I absolutely LOVE the mandolin!

Keep us posted! I'm watchin!

I've got a custom made by a small luthier. Mine's a two point, Flourentine. I've also got a Gibson F9. I like them both for different reason's but this F9 ius sooooooooo schweet!

Koa huh? Will make an interesting mando. What sort of stuff do you play mando on? Are you primarily a bluegrasser? I got started playing bluegrass and still do, but lately I'm getting into gypsy/jazz type stuff. . . . fun fun!

Do you ever check out the MandolinCafe?

www.manodlincafe.com

If not, stop by. . . .

Oh, I jsut bought a new mando off Ebay. Its made by Epiphone and is a Gibson Firebird style body. Its called a mandobird. They come in four and eight string varieties, but I opted for the four since its an electric. Going to play it through a little fender tube amp. Should be interesting!

Nice lookin gourd!

Regards,
DeadHead
Old 11-23-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHead
<snip> Oh, I just bought a new mando off Ebay. Its made by Epiphone and is a Gibson Firebird style body. Its called a mandobird. They come in four and eight string varieties, but I opted for the four since its an electric. Going to play it through a little fender tube amp. Should be interesting!
<snip>
Deadhead, I just saw one of those in use this weekend; the guy that plays mando for Hot Tuna was using one... same setup as you're planning on: four strings, & into a guitar amp. Sounded pretty dang cool, though hardly traditional as you'd expect Hot Tuna was great btw

NICE mando Drew! Can't wait to see it all finished and shining ...
Old 11-23-2004, 02:20 PM

beach bob,

Far out! I'll be playing mine in a band with that style, you know, jam band style.

Currently they have a drums, elec guitar and bass and asked if I'd be interested in adding vocals and something different. They first wanted me to pick banjo, but I'm strictly old tyme when it comes to banjo. Good old claw hammer an frailing type stuff. . . .so I suggested elec mando, and they thought that was a great idea. I got my inspiration from Sam Bush and his electric playing!

I can't wait!!!! I'm ging by the guitar shop on the way home to rent a fender tube amp!!!!!!

It should be here by Friday.

Again Drew, keep us posted on this one. I'd love to see and hear the finished product. By the way, be warned. . . MAS can be much more expensive than GAS!

Regards,
DeadHead

Last edited by DeadHead; 11-23-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:27 PM

Well Drew,
good luck on this one, hope they get it right. She is going to be one beautiful Koa Mando..
Koagratulations dude.
Keep a watch out for a January get together @ Koaguitarman's & Koa Lady's house. You should have the new Mando & I should have my new custom Goodall Jumbo Baritone with Koa everywhere. It'll be a Koavention.
Is there any date good or bad for Drew????
Russ
Old 11-23-2004, 02:36 PM

not to totally hijack the thread *but*

as a sometime jamband fan, I strongly endorse the use of vocals in this setting. Good that the guys in your new project recognize this need, Deadhead (& best of luck with it!)

>> MAS can be much more expensive than GAS!

I think this is true for nearly any instrument. I got talking to my sax player back in the day re: comparative costs of instruments. His (then) 20y old alto cost more than my entire electric rig (=vintage Strat & a blackface Super Reverb, plus pedals). Thus, I tend not to whine about such things around musicians that play other instruments
Old 11-23-2004, 02:41 PM

That's a great looking mandolin!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:50 PM

Dead Head and anybody who like jam bands, you gotta check out a local Chicago band, Mr. Blotto. They are one oft he best live shows I've seen and their Cds are smokin too.
I'm not affiliated with them or anything, just a fan.
www.mrblotto.com and they have live shows on archive.org with streaming and lossless files.

http://www.broadcastdepth.com
Old 11-23-2004, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHead
I absolutely LOVE the mandolin!

Keep us posted! I'm watchin!

SNIP

Do you ever check out the MandolinCafe?
Will do...hopefully I'll get some pics of finish/sanding/buffing soon. I'll post them when they come. I read MandolinCafe regularly.

'01 Taylor K14C
'10 Taylor K-65
Baby Taylor Koa
'04 Gibson SJ-200 (Townshend Signature Model)
Weber Koa Yellowstone Mandolin
Weber Big Sky archtop guitar
'05 Fender CS Nocaster (Closet Classic)
'04 Fender CS Masterbuilt '54 Stratocaster
'04 Rickenbacker 660/12 Fireglo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification