The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Does this sound Acoustic to you?

I recently purchased a D-Tar Solstice and a Joe Mills Internal Mic to blend with my M1 Soundhole pickup.

I've been using the M1 through a Baggs PADI but wanted a little more acoustic tone. I thought the addition of an internal mic to the M1 would help.

I think I finally have a plugged in sound I can live with.

M1 & Mills Mic

Do you guys thinks this sounds more acoustic than a regular Soundhole pickup alone?

I'm still able to get a ton of volume without feedback even with the little Mills Mic blended around 40 to 50%.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 11-19-2004, 11:41 AM

Scott,

Very nice!

A good sell on dual sourcing. I use the Rare Earth Humbucker with either a Crown or Audio Technica mic in my L10.

It may just be the MP3, but I would drop your low/mid (250~400Hz) down about 2 db. This will eliminate the small amount of mud I suspect is coming from the mic.

By the way, where did you position the mic in the guitar and do you pan the signals?

Ron
Old 11-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Try some eq experiments. For the mic, try rolling off he bass quite a bit (say 6 dB or so), and rolling off the mids a bit less. Boost the bass a bit on the mag. Blend to taste. That should clear up the signal a bit.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:36 PM

Thanks for your feedback Ron.

I agree the mids need to be taken down just a bit more. The M1 has a huge mid cut and the mic only a little. I don't have an external EQ capable of tuning as I wish. When I play the clip with the Windows Media Player with the adjustable EQ, A slight cut in the mids makes a world of difference.

I'm now a firm believer that proper EQ is the key to getting a decent acoustic tone. Much due to Doug Kennedy at www.Fingerpick.com
I see many who think the less EQ the better, but I have recently changed my mind on this.

The sweet spot for the Mic in this particular Breedlove is about the 4 O'clock postion of the soundhole if the neck is 12 O'clock. The mic is pointed up toward the top about an inch inside the soundhole. (In my Goodall it was about the same but the mic pointed toward the back.)

I didn't pan the signal's on this recording. Straight up 12 O'clock for both.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray
Try some eq experiments. For the mic, try rolling off he bass quite a bit (say 6 dB or so), and rolling off the mids a bit less. Boost the bass a bit on the mag. Blend to taste. That should clear up the signal a bit.
Didn't see your reply when I started typing sdelsolray. I do have the bass cut on the mic and boosted on the M1. Perhaps I need a little more. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your input.

Scott
Old 11-19-2004, 03:20 PM

It sounds good. Pretty acoustic sounding.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerbob
It sounds good. Pretty acoustic sounding.
I agree..

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 11-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorFishin'
.....Do you guys thinks this sounds more acoustic than a regular Soundhole pickup alone?
Definitely.

Just to knit pick, I’d agree rolling off bass on the mic might bring out some more zing, but on the whole, that would be a very happening live sound. I’ve been sort of eyeing one of those D-tars for my nylon rig, you may have just sold another one for them.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the input fellas. I do appreciate you ears!

I did roll off the bass and mids just a bit more on the mic. It did sound better recorded, but took away from the overall depth and warmth when playing through my Mackie SRM450 powered speakers.

I'll just roll off the bass and mids when recording and leave them up when pugging into the Mackies.

Eric - I think you would love the D-Tar Solstice. It is dead silent, very user friendly, multiple inputs, outputs and effects channels. It has the best Mute system I've ever heard. When the Mute button is pushed, everything is disconnected from the output. You can plug or unplug any cable with absolutely NO hiss, pop or bang!

Scott
Old 11-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Same for me. I need to use different eq settings when the signal is going to my gigging speakers as opposed to going into my recording system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification