The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-13-2004, 01:33 AM

Default Steven Curtis Chapman in Houston

Good concert. Steven started out playing a Mcpherson. I'll admit I wasn't as impressed with it's sound as I thought I'd be. In fact, later in the show he played several Taylors, all of which I thought sounded better than the Mcpherson. Just my opinion, of course. Couldn't tell what pickup he was using. Chris Tomlin even played a Collings that I thought sounded really sweet. Despite the brand of guitar, the music was quite good. Great vocals. Wasn't too impressed with any of the electric stuff. Chris Tomlin's lead player was fairly creative. It seems lately I seldom hear electric players that impress me. Most of the time the distortion is so extreme that when they do find a nice melodic feel, it gets lost in the distortion. Just my experience lately, I know there are great ones out there.

Last year I saw ZoeGirl open up for The Newsboys. I have no idea who their lead player was but he smoked. I was HIGHLY impressed with that guy. That's been about it for the past few years!

Anyhow - just a quick opinion of what I saw tonight!
Old 11-13-2004, 07:52 AM

I've always wanted to catch his live show. He is a very good acoustic player, but the few times I've seen him play electric (live tv appearances), I just wished he'd stuck with acoustic. To me, he's got a really original approach to acoustic, but his electric playing doesn't do much for me.

I know what you mean about the "new" electric players to. It seems that lots of younger players are just using pedals to create "sound", and not focus on making great, soulful solos. I don't really want to see someone play fast, just soulful.

It was pretty much the same when I went to a show the other night. This guy was playing a Tele and when he'd take a lead part, he'd just do one string runs with so much distortion it was really hard to tell what he was doing. I have always preferred a slightly overdriven tone soaked in reverb to create soulful runs....that's just me.

I'm not much for those McPhersons myself either. The times I've seen someone playing them, they didn't sound that great to me. Certainly not worth the kind of money they go for IMO. I do hear that they are great studio guitars. I just can't get over how strange they look with that off-set sound hole.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:26 PM

man i wish the tour would come to philly!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlon
Steven started out playing a Mcpherson.
I was wondering about this.

I just received the January issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine. Inside the front cover there is an advertisement for McPherson. There is a picture of SCC and text saying how he can't believe the big low end without being boomy.

For the last 8 or 9 years, SCC has played Taylors, pretty much excluvisely in concert. I was wondering where the McPherson thing was coming from.

SCC's concerts are always musically entertaining and he is an excellent guitar player, but the focus is always about the message, rather than the music.

Did Casting Crowns play as well? My wife and I are going Saturday night to see SCC, Casting Crowns, and Chris Tomlin in the Atlanta area.

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 11-18-2004, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Did Casting Crowns play as well? My wife and I are going Saturday night to see SCC, Casting Crowns, and Chris Tomlin in the Atlanta area.
Hey, Bing. Yes - Casting Crowns sang, and I was quite impressed. They did a very good job. As did Chris Tomlin (by far - Chris has the best voice of the 3, the guy can just sing). As for SCC, he only used the Mcpherson when he sang solo. Anytime the band backed him he played his Taylors (or Tele). After you watch him - tell us what you thought. Particularly of the Mcpherson vs. Taylor vs. Chris Tomlin's Collings, etc.

John - I didn't see CSS play a Mayes. At least not in Houston. Maybe elsewhere on the tour.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlon
After you watch him - tell us what you thought. Particularly of the Mcpherson vs. Taylor vs. Chris Tomlin's Collings, etc.
I'll do that. BTW, SCC was the reason I originally started looking to try out Taylors (they weren't as easy to find around here in 1997, pre Guitar Center & Mars). It was after listening to SCC's "Signs of Life" CD and seeing he played Taylors (he noted he played Taylors in the CD liner). So, I found a couple of stores that carried Taylors, tried a few out, fell in love with the playability/sound and bought my 814ce.

I saw Casting Crowns back in the summer. I loved the violin/fiddle playing.

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 11-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Undignified

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk777
Amen to that.

Saw Chris Tomlin and David Crowder on the Passion tour in October 0f 2001 in Trenton, NJ. Great time of praise and worship.

Would love to get to one of these events. Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, SCC.

2004 Martin OM28V

Last edited by vertical51; 11-18-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:08 PM

SCC was the first contemporary Christian artist who impressed me the most.

..and still does!

I just wish he comes to West Texas more often.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:09 PM

I'm catching this tour tomorrow night in Birmingham. Several of us are big Casting Crowns fans. I've never seen Chris Tomlin and it's been years since I saw SCC. After reading your comments, I can't wait for the show to start. My biggest guitar-buddy is going, the guy who got me turned on to Taylors, so it will be a heavy guitar-spotting night.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing4sons
My wife and I are going Saturday night to see SCC, Casting Crowns, and Chris Tomlin in the Atlanta area
Same here, me, my wife and 8 year old son will be at the Gwinnett whatever to see SCC. Very much looking forward to it.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannad28
Same here, me, my wife and 8 year old son will be at the Gwinnett whatever to see SCC. Very much looking forward to it.
I would say, "see you there", but I wouldn't know it if I saw you.

My picture is in the members gallery (but I won't be wearing the Christmas sweater ).

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 11-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Undignified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
I'm catching this tour tomorrow night in Birmingham. Several of us are big Casting Crowns fans. I've never seen Chris Tomlin and it's been years since I saw SCC. After reading your comments, I can't wait for the show to start. My biggest guitar-buddy is going, the guy who got me turned on to Taylors, so it will be a heavy guitar-spotting night.
Saw Chris Tomlin and his band play "Indescribable" on TV
a couple weeks ago. I think Chris was playing a Collings sunburst OM.

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 11-18-2004, 12:48 PM

For those of you checking him get ready for plenty of music. The entire show lasted about 3 1/2 hours in Houston! Which was great, but in our case our 10 year old daughter was pretty tired by the end of the night. (far past her bedtime!!)
Old 11-18-2004, 02:35 PM

Wow, I just happend upon this thread ... I'm bringing a bunch of the youth from the Search retreat we had this past weekend to see Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, and Steven Curtis Chapman tonight. We're all pretty pumped, and I hope we can give the same positive reviews I've read here

I believe Chris Tomlin came to the Mississippi State Campus for our yearly Christival back in 98, which was when I really started learning P&W stuff.

2002 614LTD
2001 810ce sans c
Old 11-18-2004, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk777
actually, not to get you excited, but i've heard rumors of a spring tour too. dont' know exactly how true it is, but he would HAVE to come over to the east coast right? please? I was so excited when i heard that casting crowns and chris tomlin would be touring with him, so i'm crossing my fingers that they come around this way.

MikeSchnepp at Gmail.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification