The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-12-2004, 07:58 AM

Default What's the Deal With Dolly Parton?

Dolly Parton opened the brand new Theater at the Continental Airlines Arena (New Jersey - it's where the Devils and Nets play) last night. There's a review in today's Daily News. The review speaks of her "Deft banjo and fiddle playing" and about how "She punctuated spot-on mandolin solos like the one that streamed through 'Orange Blossom Special'." OK, I'm willing to believe that Dolly can play.

But here's the funny part. There's a picture of Dolly from last night's show looking rather ridiculous with way too much make up, a spiky polyeurethane hairdo and clearly visible, really, really long fingernails. She's holding an electric guitar, but looking like she has absolutely no idea how to play it. The article also mentions her "3 inch fingernails." So I'd like to know one thing. Exactly how does one enact "Deft banjo and fiddle playing", and "Mandolin solos" with 3 inch fingernails?

So, what's the story, was this a finger-cync job? Or was the reviewer watching the wrong concert? Man, showbiz people are just too wierd for words.

Last edited by Stuart; 11-12-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:35 AM

Always wondered this myself.

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be heard. - Proverbs 21:13
Old 11-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I have no idea how, but she can play a classical guitar with nails. She's actually a reasonable player. I had a friend (a girl) who could do the same with 1" nails.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-12-2004, 09:41 AM

Maybe he meant to say her "Daft" banjo playing and how she "Mutilated" the madolin solos...??
However, back in the days when she had her TV show I saw her playing her classical guitar with long fingernails on both hands and doing a decent job. I see women here at work fluently pecking on their keyboards with 1 or 2 inch long fingernails...I don't see how they manage to accurately hit a single key.

I definately don't see how a person with long fingernails on their fret hand could reasonalbly play a mandolin. I would have to see it to believe it.
Taylor GA3
Old 11-12-2004, 10:02 AM

Hey, y'all are not giving Dolly enough credit. She is an incredible talent. I didn't see her performance in NJ, nor have I heard her play the fiddle or banjo; however, I don't doubt that she does a good job with however long fingernails.

Honestly, Dolly does a decent job on guitar. Her song, "Jolene," featured her fingerstyle guitar playing throughout, just as an example. She is one of the best country songwriters, has an unbelievable voice, bright bubbly personality, and two of the biggest, most beautiful - - - - - - eyes ( ) you have ever seen.

I have seen her play guitar with really long fingernails. I don't know how she does it, but she does. Getting those long fingernails around on a fiddle or mandolin neck - mmm man, I don't know. But since I didn't see the performance, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. If she put her mind to it, I'm sure she could.

If you haven't guessed by now, I am a big Dolly Parton fan.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:41 AM

I've only seen Dolly on TV; and I'm guessing that when she plays her guitar, uses an open tuning. A banjo, I think, is tuned to an open G; where I doubt she would have a problem playing it. A mandolin is a different story...
BUT if I were to see Dolly live, I doubt if I'll be able to watch her guitar/banjo/mandolin abilities in the first place...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:02 AM

Ok, you check out these photos and you tell me how anyone can play with those nails on her left hand. I don't doubt her talent. But I don't believe anyone (except maybe Neil Young, 'cause he only plays one note when he solos ) can play any stringed instrument, let alone a mando solo, with those nails. No way.

http://www.dollyon-line.com/photos/recent.shtml

BTW, I don't know about you, but I don't recognize any of those chords she's playin' either. If she wants to hold a guitar on stage to make people think she's playin' it, no problem. It's been done by many people - Mick Jaggar, Bono, Elvis, etc. But if you were writing an article about the show, why would you mention her mandolin solos and her "Deft" banjo and fiddle playing?

Please forgive me for being a cynical old so and so. I rather like Dolly. I just hate musical phoniness.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:00 PM

Hey Stu, we dont' expect you to be able to fathom Dolly.

You kow she's from the mountains of Tennesee, right?

I find your criticism funny. You're probably sitting there on your couch picking your 1000 dollar or up Taylor picking apart a woman thats made an icon of herself out of her rich mountain music heritage.

(thats the nice way of saying, I'll bet she picks better'n you boy)

Dolly grew up picking and playing mountain music.

I'm sure there's not a thing with strings that she can't play.

You're a city boy aren'tcha Stu.

(please don't take this post too seriously, I'm just trying to have a little fun with ya).
DeadHead
Old 11-12-2004, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHead
Hey Stu, we dont' expect you to be able to fathom Dolly.

You kow she's from the mountains of Tennesee, right?

I find your criticism funny. You're probably sitting there on your couch picking your 1000 dollar or up Taylor picking apart a woman thats made an icon of herself out of her rich mountain music heritage.

(thats the nice way of saying, I'll bet she picks better'n you boy)

Dolly grew up picking and playing mountain music.

I'm sure there's not a thing with strings that she can't play.

You're a city boy aren'tcha Stu.

(please don't take this post too seriously, I'm just trying to have a little fun with ya).
DeadHead
Dad-gummit! I ain't no city slicker. I'm from Sussex County, son. The corn capital of the east coast. And they ain't no fancy-haired, lipstick wearin', duded up, long-nailed hussy can pick a geetar better'n I can. No way, now how. Imo tell you what.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:08 PM

Yer alright, ain'tcha Stu!?

Got a good laugh thanks.

I've always thought Dolly could pick. Her taste is questionable, but I'm still in love with her. Ever since I saw her flaoting down from above on her magic swing at the beginning of her show. . . . I was hooked.

Some of her choices as far as songs to "bluegrass-ize" are also questionable (shine, or whatever that rock tune was she covered a while back) but to each their own.

Have fun! See ya around. ..

DeadHead
Old 11-12-2004, 02:11 PM

I hear ya DH. Believe me, I have the utmost respect for Dolly and her pickin' ability. Nor do I have anything against her taste in music or clothes or make up or whatever. But I believe that the prospect of her playing any kind of stringed instrument with those nails, simply defies the laws of physics.

Oh, and by the way . . .
Leavin' Texas, fourth day of July.
Sun so hot, the clouds so low,
The eagles filled the sky.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:25 PM

Yea, I don't have her in regular rotation on my iPod or anything. I do respect where she is coming from musically.

Oh and I hear ya loud and clear on those nails!

I do think she had one of the prettiest voices going in her younger days and that she influenced a lot of today's c women in country and more toward my taste americana. Think Allison Krauss. I always thought there was a quality in Allison's voice very reminiscent of young Dolly.

Regards,
DeadHead
Old 11-12-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHead

Think Allison Krauss. I always thought there was a quality in Allison's voice very reminiscent of young Dolly.
Agreed, come to think of it, their voices are pretty similar. Both have that twangy quality with the quivering tremulo.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
.... Exactly how does one enact "Deft banjo and fiddle playing", and "Mandolin solos" with 3 inch fingernails?....
Must be retractable nails

Charo is another one with monster nails. But Charo is actually a wicked good guitar player. I don’t know if I’ve heard Dolly’s playing, though I am a fan of her music. If you haven’t heard Dolly’s The Grass Is Blue CD....
Old 11-13-2004, 09:01 AM

Id have no problem believing she could do it...she's incredibly talented...and rich.....(married?......hmmmmmmm....)Sharon Ibsen was a very gifted guitarist...played for the Indianapolis symphonic orchestra, dont know if she still does...but I think gifted or not, sometimes for the sake of expedience, the big pro's will have solo's recorded on soundtrack before performing. Maybe thats what got the great reviews

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification