The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-02-2021, 07:42 AM

Default Yamaha thr30iia incoming

Hey new member here ... im an electric guitar player probably wont be here much. Saw a couple threads here on the THR30IIA ...

I already have 2 of the THR30II the electric model. Found they work really nicely together you can take LINEOUT from one into AUX in on the second one and make them work as a pair kind of.

What the regular THR30II models are missing is obviously a mic input. I found a way to jury rig a mic going into the aux in ... basically needs a preamp.

Interesting the THR30II models will accept both bluetooth input and aux in at the same time.

I am guessing that the THR30IIa will do the same thing

So probably can have bluetooth going in / aux in going in / microphone input working and guitar working.

I love the modeling for electric guitars on the THR30II the built in stuff is really nice.

Wondering how an electric is going to sound on FLAT on THR30IIA sounds like gain may give it some crunch. Will know more soon the THR30IIA will arrive today.

Now if the iphone app would allow me to set the guitar modeling on the THR30IIA to use the models available on the THR30II ... wow that would be nice.

Peace out gang!
Old 11-02-2021, 10:52 AM

OK its here.

I just confirmed that yeah 4 simultaneous inputs work aka guitar microphone aux in and bluetooth.

Doesnt sound like flat channel gives me much except a really nice useable clean. But well anything else thats what the regular THR30ii does already.

Thinking about a yamaha silent guitar the later model to buy maybe i have no acoustics would pair nicely maybe with this unit.

I will give better report eventually.

Its a fine fine amp and should work beautifully paired with the regular THR30ii.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:06 PM

I'll be interested to hear your experiences with, and impressions of, the THR30iia.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:47 PM

Default Yamaha thr30iia incoming

Make sure you update the firmware. The original firmware lacked an input gain for compensating for hot or quiet guitar preamps. They added this much needed feature after a couple of months. It will drive you nuts if you have a quiet guitar. I actually sent mine in for repair it was so bad! Anyway, a firmware update fixes this.

I like mine a lot since I updated it. It is a really tiny guitar and vocals PA that is perfect for practice or living room concerts. It looks nice enough that my wife doesn’t mind if I leave it out. The lack of cables also helps here. I use an xVive U3 XLR wireless, though I understand from conversations with Methos that the less expensive generic Chinese XLR wireless systems work just as well.

I use it mostly with a Godin Multiac (which I love).

It’s a handy bluetooth speaker as well.

Last edited by lkingston; 11-02-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:55 PM

This amp is on my wishlist. As the proud owner of many Yamaha mixers, guitars, a THR10II, DG Stomp and AG Stomp, I really don't need one, but...
Old 11-03-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I'll be interested to hear your experiences with, and impressions of, the THR30iia.
I will keep it short since there are so many good reviews of the THR30iia.

I like the THR30ii electric better because I play electric. But the THR30iia should be on the short list of any acoustic players that have a pickup.

Yamaha redid the speakers on the 30 models 2 3 1/2 inch drivers the sound range especially lower ranges is impressive and dramatic.

The clean aka flat on the THR30iia works darn well for an electric going in there if you dont want gain loud noisey options. Besides sure you can put pedals in front of it or whatever.

I have a couple really nice tube amps but dont use them much at all since getting the THR30ii electric model. The THR30iia is even better in some regards same technology but includes a mic and preamp second input that the THR30ii does not have ( yet ha ha ).

Stereo line out from the THR30iia check. USB out into a computer check.

Just buy one ha ha! I am going to be using mine along with a THR30ii electric a lot.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:53 PM

Default New THR30iiA owner

Any recommendation for set up for THR30iiA to Electric guitars. I know there’s a gain adjustment on the settings. I would like to be able to play electric guitar as well on this amp but seems to be lacking. Or a designated THR30ii would be best way to go for a electric guitars?
Old 10-23-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
As the proud owner of... ...AG Stomp, I really don't need one, but...
When I tried the amp in the shop the only appealing feature on it was the modelling, which sounded pretty similar to the AG Stomp to my ears, and I've got one of those already.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingrock View Post
Any recommendation for set up for THR30iiA to Electric guitars. I know there’s a gain adjustment on the settings. I would like to be able to play electric guitar as well on this amp but seems to be lacking. Or a designated THR30ii would be best way to go for a electric guitars?
If you like hall reverb and a Roland Jazz Chorus, it might be fine as is.

If you need a classic tube amp tone (mid notch, treble boost, and maybe spring reverb) you could get there several ways.
  1. You could use a graphic EQ pedal (classic 7 or 6 band guitar) and notch 800 Hz 10-15 dB and boost 3.2 kHz 5-10 dB.
  2. A Behringer TM300 tube amp modeler might work for you too.
  3. I have a Mustang Micro and plugging its headphone output into the AUX input will work great and I've done it with other THR models. The spring reverb model is also excellent.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-24-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
When I tried the amp in the shop the only appealing feature on it was the modelling, which sounded pretty similar to the AG Stomp to my ears, and I've got one of those already.
Yeah. With my A5M and AC3M Deluxe, using the modeling is redundant.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I have a funny use case for my THRii ... I use it nonstop as the speaker for my computer. It's on 24/7 for months on end and works magnificently for this purpose. When I care to play along, I plug a cable in and go with acoustic or electric into the rig. It's amazing, I can't complain one darn bit!
Old 10-25-2022, 08:06 AM

I use my THR30iiA with my Godin live. The thin body Godin doesn’t produce much acoustic sound, and the THR amp guarantees that I will be able to hear it if the monitors aren’t right. I also use the THR30iiA with my Escape Traveller guitar for the same reason. The mic modeling helps very much with that guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification