The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2004, 09:04 AM

I'm not new to the whole plugged in thing, but still have no idea what phantom power is.

I will say that my belt clip has come off as well, but Baggs sent me a new one with some replacement screws. That has been my only problem with mine. I love the sound. I think the guys who aren't getting good sound just don't know how to use the unit properly. It's not as simple as just plugging in and going for it. You have to read the manual and take some time to tweak it a bit.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:15 AM

Phantom power is a DC voltage made available to the input of the device. This is normally used to power condensor microphones.

Ron
Old 11-22-2004, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Others have been happy, and you may be, too. Your mileage may vary. I'm not trying to trash the unit... I'm only relating my personal experience with it.
No problem, Wade. That's what I asked for.

I haven't been here since Saturday morning so I didn't see the posts since then, but I found a very good deal locally on the Gigpro and went ahead with it. Obviously, I don't have much experience so far, but having set the gain as instructed for the Rare Earth Blend, I found that the low frequency attenuator worked just as it's supposed to, with a smooth roll-in or -out of the lowest frequencies. I could stand for that knob to be a little bigger, but it's not really difficult to operate. I haven't yet tried it yet with the M1, but I suspect I'll need a different gain setting since that pickup doesn't have a preamp.

I don't like what I'm hearing about the belt clip failure, so I'm going to contact Baggs to see if they have a preventive refit.

Thanks again for the feedback, both positive and negative.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:55 PM

The belt clip problem results from the attaching screws being too short; there really isn't enough thread engagement. If you overtighten them, they will strip the threads in the case. Baggs should increase the thickness of the casting of the case and use longer machine screws to fix this problem. I think there's enough clearance in the case to use longer screws, but need to check. I had the belt clip fall off while playing, but fortunately found both screws. I have one of those mini leatherman tools with a phillips head on my keychain so I was able to put it together easily.
I like the unit enough that even if the belt clip broke, I would attach the unit with a cell phone case or velcro or something.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:57 PM

Thanks, Roger. As stiff as that clip is, I can see how it could pull those screws out. As it stands, I think the clip is a lot stiffer than it needs to be, since no one is going to go jogging or do handstands with a Gigpro on their belt. I like the idea of a case, but it would be hard to fasten around the case without blocking the in/outputs and controls. I'm thinking that longer screws in concert with spacers between between the clip and case would help, and may do that before the clip has the opportunity to come off on me. Either that, or I'll just bend the clip it so it's a little straighter relative to the case.

BTW, there was another small bracket in the box that looked like it could replace the belt clip, but with a large threaded hole 90 degrees from the mounting holes. Is this so the Gigpro can be attached to a mic stand or some other piece of equipment, or did I get something that wasn't supposed to be there?
Old 11-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

It's for attaching to a mic stand, just like you thought.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:03 PM

I just had a closer look at the clip on the Gigpro, and I can't understand why they chose to attach it with those tiny screws when they have two larger ones right there, holding the chassis in place. All they needed to do was make the clip with two "wings" (making a T shape) and drill it so that it attaches to the case with those larger screws. It would be stronger, and would kill two birds with one stone.

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc morris
I think the guys who aren't getting good sound just don't know how to use the unit properly. It's not as simple as just plugging in and going for it. You have to read the manual and take some time to tweak it a bit.
I actually was going to add that as an addendum and forgot. On the other hand...

Given that that is the case, some of my pleasure of the unit is lessened if it's that "fiddly", especially if it's small. It's all in what you prefer. I just bought an Aura... I would imagine that it's also subject to "fiddling" but at least there are 50 user presets, so I only have to fiddle a few times and it remembers my fiddling. And I was lucky enough to spend about the price of two Gigpros for it.

All the best... and good luck, Chris!

Wade

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 11-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gtrs
The belt clip problem results from the attaching screws being too short; there really isn't enough thread engagement. If you overtighten them, they will strip the threads in the case. Baggs should increase the thickness of the casting of the case and use longer machine screws to fix this problem. I think there's enough clearance in the case to use longer screws, but need to check. I had the belt clip fall off while playing, but fortunately found both screws. I have one of those mini leatherman tools with a phillips head on my keychain so I was able to put it together easily.
I like the unit enough that even if the belt clip broke, I would attach the unit with a cell phone case or velcro or something.
Vecro, if you use industrial double-sided tape, like is used for pickguards... and a loop of velcro "tape" through a belt loop seems like it might be floppier, but certainly secure enough. Just a thought.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification