The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 07:41 PM

It works great. I have it in all my first aid kits.
Gretch Resonator
Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM

DON'T DO IT!!! Superglue is a skin-irritant and there's a warning on the label as to what to do if you get some on your skin. The skin will heal over it and then be subject to cracking in dry environments (like the winter). I speak from experience here. I spilled some on a finger a long time ago, and it bothers me every winter.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 PM

I cut bit of the fingertip pad off 30 years ago. Hurt for months. I have played with a broken finger taped up. I could feel it clicking over the break. Very creepy.
A year ago today I got four stitches when a broken glass went through the skin and chewed into the bone on the first knuckle of the right hand. Had a three hour practice after I got home from the doctor. It bled thought the stitches and bandage. It ached for the next three months. Feels okay most of the time now.

Try the dermabond.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I've used superglue for small-animal surgery.
Reef keeper? We glue corals to rocks with superglue gel.
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 AM

My vote is for liquid bandage. Due to my job I am constantinly getting nicked up. I`ve used liquid bandage because it can be removed instantily and layered until you don`t feel the hurt. Either hand has been doctored so wether it`s fingering or picking it works for me.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 AM

A few months ago a doctor wrote an article in Fine Woodworking magazine on how and what to put in a woodworking first aid kit - mind you, for the woodworker, not the woodwork.

CA glue was one item he listed. I have used it a lot on my fingers, sometimes even on purpose. It stings on a cut, but so do most things I've used. And it seals quickly. Lasts a while, and is sandable.

Dave

Larrivee Forum I OM-03 #3 of 17
Martin JC16WE
Recording King ROS-06
Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
Home Built Mountain Banjo
Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Hi folks...
As with many topics around here, this one has people polarized.

I use superglue regularly to seal cuts on fingertips, and raised 4 boys on it without repercussions.

Since I know it doesn't give me issues, and it does bring quick results on sealing small cuts, I carry it in my rig-bag...along with sharp scissors, a dollar bill, and baking soda to accelerate and harden superglue when repairing nails.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Interesting and useful discussion.

I won't get into the debates, but there are apparently a number of cyanoacrylate-based compounds that are more or less irritating, and some better suited for medical use.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd just let my splitting finger tip heal, and stick with thumb/index picking patterns for a while.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Meanwhile, I thought I'd just let my splitting finger tip heal, and stick with thumb/index picking patterns for a while.
Hey zmf...

Good luck with that. My skin is uber-dry and splits tend to just widen and produce really tough scars on my hands (hence I want to pull them back together to heal), but if waiting will do it for you, then you will sound like Merle Travis when you are done!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 AM

I've used super glue to repair a damaged fingertip. Doesn't last though. Never used it on my picking hand. But it gets real dry where we live in the winter and I get bloody splits on my fingertips that hurt like heck. So I super glue them. Lasts for a while - but not a "long" while. Might get you through a gig though.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hey zmf...

Good luck with that. My skin is uber-dry and splits tend to just widen and produce really tough scars on my hands (hence I want to pull them back together to heal), but if waiting will do it for you, then you will sound like Merle Travis when you are done!

Nope -- a pale approximation of Doc Watson.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nope -- a pale approximation of Doc Watson.
Hey zmf...
Well I do believe I've seen Doc slip in an extra finger on that picking hand, but Merle - well you could have taped fingers 2-3-4 to the top of the guitar and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

Go zmf!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 PM

I get splits and cuts a lot in my line of work. Keep a roll of duct tape and a tube of super glue on the truck.

Scotch brand liquid Super Glue seems to last the longest. I currently have it applied to two cuts four and five days old. I applied another drop once or twice.

Bottle sez to avoid contact with skin. But just like the Dust-Off can that sez keep nozzel out of your ear, they just don't want you to have any fun.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'd advise caution. Most superglues are cyanoacryllics and you may not want that around open cuts.
Cyanoacrylate glues have been used medically for many years and are safe on skin splits and small cuts.

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion