The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2022, 08:20 AM

Default Yamaha A5R vs Taylor 414ce

Hi,

I was hoping someone could explain the main differences between both of these guitar models. I see they're both made with solid sitka spruce top wood and solid rosewood back & sides.

I was curious as to the reason that the Taylor costs over 1000 more than the Yamaha?

I am looking at buying an acoustic guitar 3000 or less and considering these two. I want one with a cutaway as I like to get higher up the neck and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:55 AM

The main reason the Taylor is more is because it says Taylor on the headstock. I owned a 414ce for a while and was never really happy with it so I sold it. I also owned a Yamaha AC3M too. The only reason I dont still have it, is because I gave it to my Son in law for Xmas. The Yamaha, IMO was a better guitar in every way. Acoustically, I liked the sound better, Plugged in, the SRT system sounded a lot better to me than the Taylor es2. The playability of my Yamaha was really good too. I have heard other people say they had to get a set up on theirs, but thats pretty common with a lot of guitars. A set up doesnt cost that much and its worth it to me. I will probably pick up another Yamaha A series guitar one of these days. I hope that helps you make your decision. I'm sure you probably already know this, but you are comparing a Grand Auditorium body shape to a Dreadnought body shape. Dont know if that matters to you, but if it does, you should look at the AC5R.

Last edited by baw3; 10-10-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:35 PM

Have you looked at an Eastman AC422CE yet? For a solid wood sitka topped rosewood guitar with cutaway and a hardshell case, the Eastman would be the first to get my money. I've played one and unplugged it sounds better than the 414ce and almost as good as the A5R.

I once owned an A5R. The SRT2 pickup with its mic models didn't wow me.

If you're about country of origin or the name on the headstock, go for the A5R or the Taylor.

The Taylor has a wider neck and nut width than the Yamaha. The A5R has a very playable neck with a 1 11/16" nut that feels narrower than most other guitars with the same width nut. The Taylor grand auditorium shape is slightly smaller than the A5R which is essentially a dreadnaught. The A5R has ARE treatment which makes the guitar sound like a 30 year old guitar.

My money would buy the Eastman with the LR Baggs -- not the Fishman pickups, and then spend another $400 on a LR Baggs Voiceprint.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 10-10-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:59 PM

Despite being made of the same materials, they are completely different instruments.

The Taylor is a Taylor And costs more because it is made in America.

Your best bet is is to play each one and buy the one you prefer.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:37 PM

If it were me I would choose the A5R. Very comfortable and sounds great. The Taylor is good too but the A5R would be my first choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor, yamaha