The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-31-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Advice On My Next Guitar!

I know I'm being selfish with this post, but I'm very torn and I need some opinions!
My main 2 electric guitars are a Fender Telecaster and a Gibson SG Standard (both American). Complete opposites (which is good)!
My secondary electric is a Gibson Nighthawk Special I got for a good price off of eBay.

I absolutely love the crisp bite of my Tele, and it's definitely my #1 go-to guitar. I also of course love my SG, but it doesn't get as much TLC as my Tele.
Over my years of playing, I've narrowed down my two favorite styles to play as Brit rock/pop, and blues.

So I'm in the market for a new one, and here are the candidates:

1) Gibson Les Paul Standard (I'm worried it wouldn't feel/sound much different than my SG. I'm worried that when I get past how beautiful it is, I'll just go back to my Tele...)
2) Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster (they've always lured me with their uniqueness, but again, would it sound too much like my Tele?)
3) Gibson ES-335 (I'd love to have a hollowbody (edit: semi-hollow), but how versatile is it? It needs to be versatile enough to justify the investment...)

Everyone in this forum always has great opinions, and I could definitely use some now!!

Thanks
Fender MIM Thinline Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom

Last edited by g2c; 10-31-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:18 PM

A 335 is a semi-hollow. How versatile? Very useful in many styles.
'69 Les Paul Deluxe
Old 10-31-2006, 03:45 PM

You'll find many brit rock bands like both les pauls and 335 style guitars. I love brit rock/pop as well. I'm a big Smiths fan, and I know that Johnny Marr used to play a lot of tele's and strat's though! On his last outing with the Healers, he was really into SG's. Oasis use the les and 335 alot.

If it were me, I'd go 335.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:27 AM

Hmm, ok so far I gather an ES-335 would be the best complement to my collection.

Does anyone own both a Telecaster and a Jaguar (or Jazzmaster) and can compare the two? Or just comment on the Jaguar/Jazzmaster in general?

Any opinions would be very much appreciated!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Old 11-01-2006, 12:00 PM

Heyyyy! Those aren't acoustics!!

While I can't help TOO much, I did love my Les Paul/Strat pairing I had... with the Tele & the SG, I'd suggest something that's a big change, like the ES335. Hey, what about a T5?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:21 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2c View Post
Hmm, ok so far I gather an ES-335 would be the best complement to my collection.

Does anyone own both a Telecaster and a Jaguar (or Jazzmaster) and can compare the two? Or just comment on the Jaguar/Jazzmaster in general?

Any opinions would be very much appreciated!
The Jazzmaster has something more akin to a P90 style pickup which could be a really nice addition if you have only normal Tele single coil and SG Humbuckers. I am kinda thinking I need a Jazzmaster in my collection too.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:44 PM

Which ever you choose now, you'll have to decide between two great guitars for your next purchase.

Undeiniable truth #72 When your trying to decide amoung several guitars, you know you'll be back sometime to gather in the ones that were left in the shop this time.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 11-02-2006, 08:09 AM

The 335 is definitely versatile and has a great tone, but the large body size is not comfortable for me. You might find it comfortable. Plenty of players do. The ES137 is a semi hollow with a smaller, more traditional body, sort of like a semi-hollow Les Paul. That would probably be my choice.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:30 PM
It's later than it was...

I've got a '66 Jag that I like a lot. I think they're a lot more versatile than most people give them credit for, not just surf music. I like to play blues on mine and the short (24") scale is kinda fun. Not the same sound as a Tele or a Strat (I have each of those, too), but hard to describe the difference except to say a Tele sounds like a Tele and a Strat sounds like a Strat and a Jag doesn't sound like either. Can't comment on a Jazzmaster, but it seems similar to the Jag except with a full scale neck, which I'm sure gives it a unique voice as well.

Aloha
________
Marijuana Strain Green Crack

Last edited by konavet; 02-15-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:26 PM

Default 335 all the way

I have a Tele, Strat and a PRS. All of those guitars are unique in their own way. Recently I added a 335 to my collection and I am glad I did. The 335 has a sound like no others...its a semi-hollow. It also matches quite a few musical styles and always is a classic.

The 335 might by too big for some, but for me its great and sounds like not other.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:45 AM

You guys that own an ES-335, do you feel like it can cut through a mix? From what I read, they have those '57 Classic Humbuckers in there. Are they muddy at all? If you just use the bridge pickup, can you get a crisp twang out of it?
I mean, I know what humbuckers sound like, but I was curious how the fact that it is a semi-hollow colors the tone.

...or is simply just big, muddy, and bassy like a Les Paul would be, and nothing more?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Old 11-03-2006, 03:54 PM

I would advise you to look outside of america, and looks outside of Fender and Gibson. Neither are rubbish, but they can obviously charge a premium for stuff that other brands do for less. G&L, for example, were started up by Leo Fender after he sold Fender. If you want the Fender thing, they do great asian Strat and Tele copies, and have an American-made series too.
I think Gordon-Smith are a great brand too, however the fact that they're made in the UK, and have a six-month waiting list will probably put you right off. I've played a number of their guitars, they make really great LP copies. They're not very pretty, but they are cheap (well, in the UK at least) and better than Gibson.
I suppose a high-end Godin is worth looking at too. The Godin Flat Five is expensive, but it think it will out-335 the 335.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2c View Post
You guys that own an ES-335, do you feel like it can cut through a mix? From what I read, they have those '57 Classic Humbuckers in there. Are they muddy at all? If you just use the bridge pickup, can you get a crisp twang out of it?
I mean, I know what humbuckers sound like, but I was curious how the fact that it is a semi-hollow colors the tone.

...or is simply just big, muddy, and bassy like a Les Paul would be, and nothing more?
First I will say that I haven't played a real 335 in a few years. But that aside, I remember the tone pretty well, and I can tell you it should have enough treble to satisfy most. The body is entirely made of maple, this is a bright wood. LP's have a mahogany body, with a maple cap. Mahogany is a decidedly darker tone wood. The '57's are very nice pup's, but again it's been a few years, so I am basing that on a rather far of memory. I knew a guy with '57's in a LP studio, and they sounded great, plenty of top and nice and smooth at the same time. I should add that I tend to push the treble when I play electric.

Twang is something you'll still have your Tele around for if you really need a ton of it. I would suggest you check some out in person, and while your at it, it can't hurt to try some other guitars as well.

Hollow or semi hollow body guitars can have a more complex tone in my opinion. This can be good or bad, depending on what you are trying to do. For clean to medium amounts of gain, they're great, for really high gain stuff, they may not work out so well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars