The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-29-2006, 04:53 PM

Default LP Mahog'

Anybody have experiance with the Gibson Les Paul Mahogany guitars? I was reading reveiws, they look good, they have the burstbuckers that are in the expensive LP's. All looks good, and I think it might cool my Gibson GAS off.....or throw more wood on the fire!

I want a Gibson for under 1K is my goal. I saw the prices over at MF and Music123 all those stores, seems like the price is the same around the horn. Search Les Paul Mahogany at MF you'll see its a good looking deal. I HAVN'T played one yet but do intend to, that is if the local shop has it when I go tonite...but something tells me they wont have it.

So, if you skipped my two paragraphs of ADD, heres my questions.
-Is the LP Mahogany a good guitar?
-Is there another LP I could try (since my local shop might not have it in stock) that has similar feel and sound, so I can hear something that sounds close to the mahog' LP?
-Is there something you don't like about it? I would like to know.

Thanks for your time!
-Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 05:03 PM

Thumbs up

For the money, take a look at Heritage H150CM guitars.
They have a big dose of "Old-style Gibby" packed inside, and are wonderful instruments.
The smaller H140 is also killer, and more like a LP Studio...
Old 08-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks for you're suggestion, but I have a fever and the only cure is a Gibson! I love Gibsons and from what I see, the Heritage is the same price as a Gibson. For a person with Gibson GAS, it seems silly to have enough for one, and get a Heritage instead.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:30 PM

Check out the SG faded. Played one at a local guitar store and was very impressed.Also check out the LP Junior. Both of these are in your price range and are definately worth checking out.
Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 05:30 PM

I wouldn't buy the Hog gibby over a Heritage... or even an Epiphone Elitist... they have a stain finish, rather than lacquer or even a gloss... they're just stained. The neck feel is a chunkier '59 profile, and my hand tends to stick to the finish... they sound GREAT, but I'm no fan of the feel of the guitar in general... when you're looking at the lower end of gibson's lines, there are better deals to be had with a different headstock... I really wouldn't get caught up in the allure of the gibson name...

Just my two cents.
2006 Taylor GSMCE

Other Stuff:

1966 Harmony Stella
1998 Fender MIM Strat w/ SD APS-1s
2003 Epi LP Goldtop w/ SD Jazz/JB
1962 Gretsch 6120
2005 Regal RC-1 Duolian
2005 Carlo Robelli Classical guitar
60's Harmony Roy Smeck Banjo
60's Univox Viola Bass
Marshall AS50R
Line 6 POD XTLive
Tech21 Trademark PE 60
Old 08-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizorage
I wouldn't buy the Hog gibby over a Heritage... or even an Epiphone Elitist... they have a stain finish, rather than lacquer or even a gloss... they're just stained. The neck feel is a chunkier '59 profile, and my hand tends to stick to the finish... they sound GREAT, but I'm no fan of the feel of the guitar in general... when you're looking at the lower end of gibson's lines, there are better deals to be had with a different headstock... I really wouldn't get caught up in the allure of the gibson name...

Just my two cents.
I'll check it out.. I like the satin, not a gloss fan. Seems like the only prob would be sticky hands. So i'll play around with it, see if I have any probs. I'll definatly pay attention to the neck width and stick problem, thanks for pointing that out!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Another possibility is the LP Studio. Not only does it have the name you want on the headstock and a maple cap for the right sound, but it has a polyurethane finish that won't react to some hand chemistries like the original nitro does.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 AM

I saw a beautiful Gibson Les Paul Studio sell on eBay the other day for $600. That's cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I have one exactly like it and love it dearly. One flaw in the guitar (paint) and the rest perfect...not burstbuckers but nice pickups and one could swap them out if it was really deemed necessary.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=441241
Old 08-30-2006, 03:23 AM

I would try to find a mid-'90s (no later than 1997) LP Classic. You can find very good deals on these, and they are great guitars.

Bill
Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 AM

I bought a Heritage 140CM a month or so ago. You should look into them because I think they offer more for the money. Plus their resale value is lower than Gibsons.

Intervarsity
Old 08-30-2006, 11:45 AM

I love the look of all satins. I think they are the best looking Les Pauls EVER (Seriously, and they are reasonably priced for once). The colored maple cap seems a bit extravagant for me. The all mahogany is an electrics that look... ...well acoustic. I love it. If I am not up to my neck in guitars, I would get THIS one . Which shows that you are not the only person attracted to the looks. I am not particularly picky about electric sounds, as long as it's not a semi hollow or a strat or something, it will sound like a Les Paul, and you can always count on that.

Frankly I like the look much better than plasticky bindings and mother of toilet seat inlays. In 30 years, this will be classic. BTW get a all hog LP Jr (no carved top) with P90's to match. hehehe. I am evil.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuoso
I love the look of all satins. I think they are the best looking Les Pauls EVER (Seriously, and they are reasonably priced for once). The colored maple cap seems a bit extravagant for me. The all mahogany is an electrics that look... ...well acoustic. I love it. If I am not up to my neck in guitars, I would get THIS one . Which shows that you are not the only person attracted to the looks. I am not particularly picky about electric sounds, as long as it's not a semi hollow or a strat or something, it will sound like a Les Paul, and you can always count on that.

Frankly I like the look much better than plasticky bindings and mother of toilet seat inlays. In 30 years, this will be classic. BTW get a all hog LP Jr (no carved top) with P90's to match. hehehe. I am evil.
Haha! a LP Jr. May come in the future after the LP Vintage Mahog. I went up to my local shop. They didn't have the mahog, but did have a LP with satin finish and a 50's neck. (It had Zebra pickups and a satin sunburst) I enjoyed the wide neck, and finish. I didn't have the sticky problem. Now that I think about it, in humid times, a gloss will probally be more sticky then a satin finish. I also like the acoustic likeness of the LP Mahog. I LOVE to see wood grain, and you can see it ALL on the guitar! I expect to have enough money for it by Halloween. So, I'll post a new thread when I get it! Thanks for your comments guys!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:30 PM

Sad truth is that a sub-$1K Gibson is going to be an insult to your intelligence, at best.

With apologies for being blunt, anything that says "Gibson" on the headstock at your price point is gonna be a crude instrument, at best.

That doesn't mean they're good. It means they're overpriced. There's too much respectable competition these days to buy into that crap.

Peace.

Doc
Old 08-30-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Sad truth is that a sub-$1K Gibson is going to be an insult to your intelligence, at best.

With apologies for being blunt, anything that says "Gibson" on the headstock at your price point is gonna be a crude instrument, at best.

That doesn't mean they're good. It means they're overpriced. There's too much respectable competition these days to buy into that crap.

Peace.

Doc
Not true. Just because its cheap doesn't mean its crap. Why do people get Taylors instead of Martins? It's the age-old battle of preferance. My preferance is Gibson in this case. I enjoy the looks of the Gibson guitars as well as the sound. Have you tryed this insturment? And to set this strait, just because its a low end Gibson doesn't mean its "crude." People will tell you the Taylor 110 is a decent insturment. Gibson along with Taylor and Breedlove, etc etc. make quality insturments to live up to their name, and to make the buyer satified.

Go try the guitar if you havn't (from the context of your sentences it seems you havn't.). I definatly wouldn't bash down a guitar if I never have played it.

Sorry for being defensive. It's just I don't agree.

=Mike
Old 08-31-2006, 08:07 AM

I actually played a Mahogany Les Paul a couple of weeks ago... and was pretty impressed in the feel and the sound.... I love the slinky feel of the 24" scale... (the 24 inch scale allows the strings to be tuned to pitch with MUCH less tension than a 25.5 fender scale....) It's not a frivolous Gibson guitar by any means... that being said.... DEFINITELY play it before you buy it... The quality control (or lack of) that I've seen with new Gibsons and Fenders is rather sad... heck... I recently bought a BRAND NEW PRS Hollowbody to replace an ailing archtop and the high "E" string piezo doesn't work... (I paid an incredible price for it.... now I know why...... That's another story)... BUT....

I was looking for all mahogany guitars to try and figure out what effect it (mahogany) would have on the sound... I found that the Mahogany Les Paul played and felt great... Sadly... it was in guitar center... A place I totally despise.... but... that's not that guitars fault...

As a rule of thumb... I won't buy anything from the Big 3 anymore... Gibson, Fender and PRS are WAY overpriced....

We all understand GAS... and some of us, when we see someone about to make a decision without properly educating themselves on the purchase.... well... we will try to extinguish the GAS so that you will think more rationally....... as the Acoustic Guitar Forum is truly a support group....

I'll go first.... Hi... I'm Billy, and I'm a guitar addict.

me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars