The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-16-2006, 11:57 AM

Question Special Orders through Fender?

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any issues or long wait times with doing a special order with Fender (not Custom). About a month ago, I placed an order for my first electric guitar--A Fender Thinline Telecaster with the double humbuckers and 3 color burst. My local Fender dealer (Portland Music Company) really treated me right and ordered it right away, but it's been a month and I'm starting to think that maybe I am asking for a rare thing (even though the guitar is in their catalog and not customized at all).

Now, I know that waiting a month is nothing compared to those of you waiting for a Kronbauer and I am trying to be a bit more patient. Portland Music has been really cool about everything and they really carry some top notch Fenders, so I'm excited to get it, but just GASing for my first electric!

Any input (other than "Rev, patience is a virture" or "Rev, isn't patience part of the fruit of the Spirit?")? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:02 PM

Rev

Who did you order it from at Portland Music? Have you talked to them to see if they can get you an ETA or find out what the hold up is?

A couple of years ago my son ordered his 50th Anniversary Stat from them and it arrived in a couple of weeks, right when they said it would.

Your right, PMC is a good store to do business with. I would expect they should be able to find out for you.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 05-16-2006, 12:16 PM
AGF Bouncer

I think anything non-standard goes through the Custom Shop even though the Custom Shop may not do the actual work, so it adds significantly to the wait time.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:14 PM
.tom the übergeek

That is a Mexican guitar is it not? It all depends on what Fender has in stock and when they expect delivery of them from the Mexi plant. Call you dealer. Fender should be able to provide them with an ETA.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:41 PM

Fender schedules runs of particular guitars. When I tried to order my James Burton Telecaster in November '04 I was told the next production run would be Jan '05. It arrived Feb 14, 05. Waiting is tough. Your dealer should have been able to tell you when it would be built or when they would run that model again.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:02 PM

Red face --egg on face...

Thanks guys, for your input. Seems that my impatience got the best of me. I just called PMC and my guitar is in! I was just calling for the ETA, as suggested, and wallah--she's waiting for me!

Thanks for feeling my pain with me and for your input. I'll let ya know how it sounds when I get it home and plug it in!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Winning!

eta shouldnt be as long as PRS - I just ordered a singlecut and it looks like 8-10mths

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars