The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-07-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Pono. Pono. Pono.

Very well built. Their very basic no frills instrument is $400.

I agree, picked up a Pono baritone a few years ago. Really fun/easy to play.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I always recommend the Kala thinline travel ukes, now available in all four sizes (soprano, concert, tenor and baritone). They are well made, sound very good, and every example I have tried intonates well, and come with a good gig bag too. ~$200-225 at most retailers for the basic non-electric, non-cutaway models.
https://kalabrand.com/collections/travel-ukes
I have a student with a Concert size Kala Thinline and it is an excellent sounding uke and pretty loud too. I have another student with a Pono Koa which is very nice and beautiful to look at. Actually, now that I think of it, all 7 of my students have nicer ukes than me. LOL

I can't remember if you mentioned this, but keep in my mind the tenor and baritone ukes are usually tuned differently. The tenor is usually tuned GCEA
and the baritone like the top strings of the guitar DGBE.

All the ukes mentioned by others are good to excellent, and none of them would be a bad purchase. I personally have a Kala Tenor $125 and an $80 Cordoba Protégé concert, (which is a jem for $80)
Good luck!
Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Although the website stated this was a solid wood instrument, I'm not so sure about that. The top is solid but the back and sides may not. I checked the Kala website, and it clearly states that the top is solid, but makes no mention of the back and sides. At that price point, it might be laminate. I used to own their solid top acacia model, therefore I have the same doubts.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
Although the website stated this was a solid wood instrument, I'm not so sure about that. The top is solid but the back and sides may not. I checked the Kala website, and it clearly states that the top is solid, but makes no mention of the back and sides. At that price point, it might be laminate. I used to own their solid top acacia model, therefore I have the same doubts.
I checked and it says this:
Size: Tenor
Top: Solid Spruce
Back & Sides: Solid Ovangkol

Though it's way overpriced compared to the solid Koa Gretsch I posted earlier, and due to to the Gretsch deep body I have yet to find a Kala that comes close in tone and playability.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 PM

Default Ukulele suggestions

Checkout the Blackbird Ekoa ukuleles. I own the Farallon tenor size, and I have played the Clara concert size. I have played probably 50 different ukuleles ranging from $300.00 - $4000.00. Since I got the Blackbird Farallon, it has been my most played instrument.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...blackbird.html

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/collections/ukuleles
Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 PM

If you're not in a hurry, Taylor is working on a line of ukuleles. I'd expect price will be above $200.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalero63 View Post
Checkout the Blackbird Ekoa ukuleles. I own the Farallon tenor size, and I have played the Clara concert size. I have played probably 50 different ukuleles ranging from $300.00 - $4000.00. Since I got the Blackbird Farallon, it has been my most played instrument.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...blackbird.html

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/collections/ukuleles
Thank you. I admit...that is beautiful sounding!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Default Mainland

Mainland.... The "Eastman e10" series of ukuleles. Cult following on ukuleleunderground.com.

http://www.mainlandukuleles.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=main...iw=946&bih=988

Last edited by lespaul_79; 08-25-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Pono. Pono. Pono.

Very well built. Their very basic no frills instrument is about $400, sounds as good as $1000 Koa ukes made in Hawaii. No comparison to the similarly priced instruments I played in stores, and I played a bunch. In the end I was not willing to pay $600-800 for Koa.

If you are willing to pay that much, you can't go wrong.
Yup...this....Pono ukes are absolutely fantastic.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 08-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Default uke

Kala is a good entry level brand. The next step up is a Pono.
The 'Uke Site' is a good place to go. You can call them and talk to them.
Good guys with a wide selection of woods and prices.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
If you're not in a hurry, Taylor is working on a line of ukuleles. I'd expect price will be above $200.
When Taylor eventually gets a ukulele to market (this has been rumored for years) I will be quite surprised if it comes in under $800.

The Blackbird Farallon is a wonderful instrument, and being composite is virtually impervious to temperature and humidity concerns. Plus the Ekoa top looks very much like koa or mahogany in person. If you can afford it, you won't go wrong. Farallon would be my "dream uke" that would supplant all my others. It is that good.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:55 AM

I've bought two Kala ukes -- the Kala KA-KCGE-C (acoustic/electric) and the Ziricote Concert. Neither is solid wood, but I really believe it makes less difference than with guitars (I played quite a few before buying), and anyway - my son snagged one and my daugther has the other! I have to admit to some interest in the Blackbird ukes -- I have an Emerald X7 and believe that man-made materials are a great alternative to chopping down more rainforests!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:45 AM

Default Ditto Pono

Just as in guitars, all solid wood construction is equally important in an ukulele. That's not to say you can't find a decent sounding one with just a solid top. Kala, Ohana and Mainland are a few that come to mind as moderate priced instruments that play decent. They would all offer an adequate travel uke. If you don't have a shop near you where you can try out one in person, I'd recommend contacting a good online supplier like Uke Republic or Mim. Both are accessible folks who could help you make a good selection. They both also always do a good setup on every instrument regardless of price point. If you don't mind traveling with something nicer, Pono is an excellent value. Hard to find better bang for your buck. I have a Pono PC baritone cedar top/acacia and tone, fit/finish, and playability is a good as my much more expensive ukes. The Ukulele Site would be your best source for a Pono (also, they do an excellent setup on every instrument). They may not be quite as accessible though, as they are a super popular Hawaiian B&M + online store. Phone contact can be tricky but they try and I see that they are now doing limited online live chat.Also, they have sound samples and good videos of most of their stock. Many folks might consider it a bit too nice for a travel uke though. I have traveled with mine, though I usually take my LoPrinzi soprano (great uke, and best value, I think for a luthier built instrument), as it's way more portable. I don't check my ukes. I carry on.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:06 AM

I bought a Martin C1K as my first, and so far only, uke. Not very ornate, but built well, sounds good and plays easily. Cost is above most "starter" brands, but less than the traditional K brands. I was comfortable relying on the brand's reputation in selecting it over alternatives in that general price range, inasmuch as I own Martin guitars and am confident in their value.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:43 AM

I second the Mainland Uke Suggestion

Mailand Ukuleles
Contact them directly (built overseas, set up in a shop... in Indiana I think)
Sometimes they have seconds, which are cheaper and every bit as good.
My Tenor is rock solid and sounds/plays great
Mainland Tenor Uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments