The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-05-2017, 07:06 PM

Default Monstrosity of a Taylor 814

Remember that monstrosity of a Taylor 814 on eBay that fazool posted on here to ridicule a few months ago? (If not: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=466210).

Well, I was the idiot that ended up buying it… I just finished it. I’m sure it was only a matter of time before one of you found it and posted it on here to ridicule it once again so I thought I’d beat you to the punch!

And before any of you say… yes I realize this guitar very much needs a new top (and new sides) but 1: If I’m going to replace the top and the sides, aren’t I basically just building a new Taylor? And 2: I don’t have the tools or the time to be doing that. I’m only temporarily set-up here in Florida before I return to Australia in 1 week so couldn't have done it if even I wanted to.

My only goals for doing this were to make this guitar slightly more aesthetically pleasing and a whole lot more playable. I also wanted low-pressure repair practice (low pressure because it was so ruined when I got it). I was not striving for perfection.

I won’t go into glorious detail about the repairs that were already done on it. Let’s just say that I wish I had gotten this guitar first. The guy/girl used what appears to be automotive bog and that powdery all-purpose filler stuff you use on drywall...

And before and of you say how horrendously hideous it is, please first peruse the following before and after pics:

Ok everyone, slam on!
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-05-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 07-05-2017, 07:31 PM

Wow.

Such a nice guitar to end up like this.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I think you did remarkable work.

I think, yes that guitar was beyond abused and mis-repaired when you bought it but I applaud your conviction to fix it and you certainly did that. I would go as far as to say it is a respectable guitar.

Very nice work (especially given the horrendous patient you were given to rescue)

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 07-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Mon..........

Nice work for what you had to start with! How does it sound and play?
FastJimmy
Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 PM

It's alive! It's alive!!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAmber View Post
I’m only temporarily set-up here in Florida before I return to Australia in 1 week so couldn't have done it if even I wanted to.
You will probably get a better price selling it here in Australia, just bring it back with you.

Its the name and model that will bring you the dollars, not the umm condition its in.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I think you did remarkable work.

I think, yes that guitar was beyond abused and mis-repaired when you bought it but I applaud your conviction to fix it and you certainly did that. I would go as far as to say it is a respectable guitar.

Very nice work (especially given the horrendous patient you were given to rescue)
Thank you for your kind words fazool
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini
Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy View Post
Nice work for what you had to start with! How does it sound and play?
FastJimmy
Thanks! It's actually far better that I was ever envisioning. Pleasantly surprised it definitely sounds better than when I got it that's for sure
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini
Old 07-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
You will probably get a better price selling it here in Australia, just bring it back with you.
Thought about it but I already have many guitars to bring back with me so I'd have to ship it on a ship ($200 + 3 months). With all the glue holding it together, I wouldn't want it getting hot at all. Besides I think there are restrictions for importing rosewood, aren't there? Or is that only Brazilian rosewood? Does anyone know?
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini
Old 07-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

What happened to that poor thing?
Old 07-06-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
What happened to that poor thing?
No idea but it must have been bad. It was in a hardcase that was literally snapped in half on the upper bout section. Like, from side to side!
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini
Old 07-07-2017, 07:26 AM

Thumbs up

Good work!

I see what you mean by low pressure since it was already broken. I have a similar project in mind, but I went through the process of breaking the guitar I intend to fix and am still struggling with the guilt!

I have a few questions:

First, how long did it take for you to "fix" - and I understand that it's not fully repaired but at least playable.

Secondly, how playable is it? Being a Taylor I imagine setting the neck angle was relatively easy as compared to a Martin with a glued dovetail joint.

Thirdly, what is to become of this guitar since you will not be taking it home to Australia with you? Are you leaving it with your hosts? Are you looking to sell it locally or have somebody try to sell it within the US? Or are you just going to donate it to somebody in need who might otherwise not be able to afford a mint 814ce.

Regardless of what your intentions were with this, somebody might want to have it fully repaired a later date. That guitar is certainly worthy of being fully restored with a new top and binding after all.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 07-07-2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: I had more than a "couple" of questions and fixed my wording
Old 07-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I love a rescue. Nice work! I wonder if it was in an auto accident?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
First, how long did it take for you to "fix"
Took me 3 and a half months, and that was working on it every single day. If I were working with a normal broken guitar, I may have finished it much sooner... but I had to dig out a lot of old epoxy and mysterious red filler and glue and that took a lot of time

Quote:
Secondly, how playable is it? Being a Taylor I imagine setting the neck angle was relatively easy as compared to a Martin with a glued dovetail joint.
It definitely needs a neck reset after all the work, which would be easy if I had the right Taylor neck shims. When I got the guitar it actually had no neck shims in it at all which is really strange, so I had no reference to work off for figuring out which shims I need. So I figured instead of paying for Taylor to do it or trying to make my own, I'd sell it for a good price and let the buyer take it to Taylor. I'm far enough out of pocket anyways! As it is now though, the action is too low at the 12th. I'm a soft player so it works for me, but hard strummers will definitely need the reset.

Quote:
Thirdly, what is to become of this guitar since you will not be taking it home to Australia with you? Are you leaving it with your hosts? Are you looking to sell it locally or have somebody try to sell it within the US? Or are you just going to donate it to somebody in need who might otherwise not be able to afford a mint 814ce.
I am selling it here in the US before I leave. I have fully disclosed absolutely everything I did to it in the ad (3 pages long...) and so far it has had ALOT of interest. One guy wants it to leave in his camper as a replacement for his Taylor Big Baby that he has in there now. I think it will sell to someone who can't afford a new one (and fair enough!) but loves them. But yes, as you say, someone could buy it and have a new top and binding put on it and still be saving lots of dollars

With your project, do you mean to say you acquired a guitar and smashed it up to repair it?! That guilt would eat me up too. What guitar was it? Good luck to you its good for practice
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini
Old 07-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I love a rescue. Nice work! I wonder if it was in an auto accident?
Thanks Bob! That would make sense. Or a plane crash...
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
damage, repairs, taylor 814