The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2016, 08:22 PM

Default NGD - Larrivee OMV-03E

Hi all, new member here but long time lurker. Wanted to upgrade from my 9-year-old Breedlove dread to something more fingerstyle-friendly with a wider neck, since I almost exclusively play fingerstyle. I decided on a Larrivee OM model for its price, balanced sound, and looks - the mahogany back and sides glow in the light and pairs well with the maple binding. I love the satin finish and even like the bit of exposed body next to the fingerboard in the cutaway - it's the small details that get me. Wish it had the silver-bordered headstock, though!

I purchased from Shoreline Music after seeing good reviews on them here and watching their videos on Youtube. Although I shop on Amazon often, I was still worried about purchasing a guitar online. What if I didn't like the guitar, having only played a Larrivee L model? What if the guitar showed up with a giant crack in it? What if the strings broke and scratched the guitar? Fortunately, the guitar arrived fine. Shoreline had excellent customer service (and they stocked the only OMV-03 I could find) and they even gave some extras with the guitar(see below). Would like to know what strings the guitar is strung with, though. Feels a little heavier than lights but that could just be because I'm used to light Elixir strings that are really easy to slide on.

Now, I've only had two other guitars to compare with, but the Larrivee plays and sounds fantastic - not as deep as my Breedlove dread but the balance and sustain is incredible. The Larrivee has a stronger midrange from what I can hear, but despite its smaller body, still has a great low end - just more refined and less boomy. I used to be skeptical when people stated that certain guitars were more "responsive," but I have learned. Even the lightest touch on this guitar makes it ring. The separation between each note is wonderful and sounds cleaner and clearer than the Breedlove's deep, "reverb" sound, perfect for my own fingerstyle playing.

Last edited by BowlNoodle; 04-18-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:31 PM

Congratulations! Larrivee's are fine guitars with a fantastic build quality.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:04 PM

Nice BN..........Big Congrats! Good looking guitar. Welcome to the AGF!

I love Larrivee and have owned many in the past. They are so good. You enjoy now.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:21 PM

Congrats, and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:34 AM

Congrats on one of the best acoustic guitar hidden gems. Very underrated guitar. I love my LV-03e which is slightly larger than yours. I'm guessing you will keep this OMV for a very long time. Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Nice guitar and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:17 AM

Congrats on a great guitar! And John at Shoreline is a class act! You did good good! Enjoy!

Last edited by Treenewt; 04-18-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old 04-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on a fine guitar and welcome to the forum!!

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 04-18-2016, 07:47 AM

Congratulations and welcome aboard! I have owned an OM-03 for several years and I believe you have purchased not only a great OM for the money- but a very fine professional level instrument that can hang with any other! I have recorded with mine for several different artists and always get a big thumbs up from the engineers and other players. One producer who is a vintage gear junkie always asks me to bring the Larrivee. It is so balanced and chimes beautifully on recordings. Enjoy!

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 AM

Welcome to the AGF, Noodle and congrats on the Larrivee! Great to hear that you had a positive online buying experience. Enjoy!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:59 AM

Am I the only one who can't see images 2-7? I tried viewing the URL directly, and couldn't. Of course, I held this one in my hands, so I already know what it looks like

Larrivee these days is shipping their OMs with D'Addario mediums—either EJ17 or EXP17. I think the guitar sounds and plays better with a lighter gauge, so we always restring with either John Pearse New Medium (710) or John Pearse Lights (600). I forget which I stuck on your guitar, but if it's feeling heavy, it may be New Medium.

Now quit reading guitar forums and go play!
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Am I the only one who can't see images 2-7? I tried viewing the URL directly, and couldn't. Of course, I held this one in my hands, so I already know what it looks like

Larrivee these days is shipping their OMs with D'Addario mediums—either EJ17 or EXP17. I think the guitar sounds and plays better with a lighter gauge, so we always restring with either John Pearse New Medium (710) or John Pearse Lights (600). I forget which I stuck on your guitar, but if it's feeling heavy, it may be New Medium.

I can't see the pics either, Ted.
Also, what do you string the LV-03s with?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Just another reason why John is awesome!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM

I can't see anything but the first image.

BTW, I understand "response" very well. The sound fairly jumps out of my D-40R, almost like my playing needs to restrain it.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Well, that's disappointing... hopefully the images are up now. Love the sound of the new mediums though, will have to try the other John Pearse strings you sent with the guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
Congrats on one of the best acoustic guitar hidden gems. Very underrated guitar. I love my LV-03e which is slightly larger than yours. I'm guessing you will keep this OMV for a very long time. Welcome to the forum!
I was between deciding between the LV and OMV models but had to go the opposite of my dread - that is, less low end - just to see what it was like. I've had my old guitar for nine years and I can definitely see myself holding this Larrivee for many more.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerstyle, larrivee, larrivee om-03, larrivee omv, shoreline