The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 PM

Default Larrivee's back at Guitar Center?

I already own a used L-03e that has a vintage look (wear and scratches) that I love but someday would like to own another Larrivee. Unfortunately there aren't too many dealers near where I live but as I was searching the web I stumbled upon this on GC webpage. Anyone know for sure?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Larrivee...stic-Guitar.gc
Old 03-17-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Larivee at GC

First, I see that this is your first post. Welcome to the forums!

Interesting. I will say that the only Larivee that I've seen at GC's have been in the used inventory.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
First, I see that this is your first post. Welcome to the forums!

Interesting. I will say that the only Larivee that I've seen at GC's have been in the used inventory.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I also was surprised about GC stocking Larrivee as I have seen some posts that are 10 yrs old stating how GC stopped carrying Larrivee.

I would like another L03 Larrivee to have but also want the option to play several of them side by side and pick the one out. Hopefully this is true about Larrivee coming back to GC.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:41 PM

I have seen several guitar brands listed on GC's web site that don't show up in their stores.
Perhaps you can order one from their web site and have it delivered to a local store.
The same for Blueridge and Guild.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:42 PM

What is in your local GC has been carefully and painstakingly chosen because it will sell. Larivee can have the greatest guitars in the world, my nearest GC will never have them in it.

rct
Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 PM

Was in our Reno GC just last weekend and didn't see any Larrivees. I wish I would have. I love my OM-09W. Played a lot of other guitars though that day and didn't find anything that I preferred to the several I already own. I may be cured!
Old 03-17-2016, 01:54 PM

They started selling them at 5-star GCs around 4 or 5 years ago. Near me, they had them at the Hallandale Beach center but not at the smaller Kendall branch. However, I noticed around a year ago that they had disappeared from Hallandale Beach. It's curious; they used to sell them at my local Sam Ash in Miami, but they weren't popular, and the store resorted to the old Martin-Taylor-Gibson routine. I think the American guitar-buying public is very conservative because there's certainly nothing wrong with Larrivee or their prices.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:05 PM

JC, like a lot of large scale retailers, Guitar Center has dropped some brands for business reasons, then started carrying them a few years later when both parties were able to come to an agreement. They've done this little dance with Gibson at least a couple of times that I'm aware of.

From the link you posted, it would appear that they've renewed their business ties with Larrivée.

I'm glad to hear it. It was really Guitar Center that transformed Larrivée from a little-known boutique brand to a large scale guitar manufacturer back in the 1990's - prior to that I think I'd only seen two or three Larrivées, ever.

Anyway, whether they continue this rapprochement remains to be seen. But I say more power to both companies.

whm
Old 03-17-2016, 03:03 PM

Default GC Larrivee

I called my NYC GC about a Larrivee on their website. They couldn't explain why they didn't have it in the store.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
JC, like a lot of large scale retailers, Guitar Center has dropped some brands for business reasons, then started carrying them a few years later when both parties were able to come to an agreement. They've done this little dance with Gibson at least a couple of times that I'm aware of.

From the link you posted, it would appear that they've renewed their business ties with Larrivée.

I'm glad to hear it. It was really Guitar Center that transformed Larrivée from a little-known boutique brand to a large scale guitar manufacturer back in the 1990's - prior to that I think I'd only seen two or three Larrivées, ever.

Anyway, whether they continue this rapprochement remains to be seen. But I say more power to both companies.

whm
I also discovered Larrivee in a GC back in the early 90's, in fact Sam Ash also stocked the brand, but I soon found I could buy the guitars online for much less. Clearly this wasn't great for in-store sales, so by early 2000 both GC and Sam Ash dropped the brand. Too bad, because Larrive is one of those brands folks really have to play first, they just don't have the reputation for strong online sales.

BTW, note that in the OP's link the L03R is listed at $1331.25 when in fact MAP set by Larrivee is $1371 for that model. A clear MAP violation. Showing such disrespect for the builder is not a great way to rekindle their relationship.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:37 PM

As other's have said, Larrivee used to be carried at GC about 2-3 years ago and those poor guitars just sat there for months. I never see new ones there anymore and I recall a guy said they stopped. I strongly suspect the one you have your eye on is simply old stock. From GC's web site, that's the only new one they have for sale.

I think GC ships their guitars to another store free if you ask them. For the same money they have a 05 series (all gloss whereas the 03 is satin) LV and OM that would be a much better deal for the $$ if not scratched up. I've played the OM in Atlanta and it's in really nice shape. Keep in mind the used ones may not have a case as GC tends to "lose" those so they can sell you one of theirs. . .
Old 03-18-2016, 07:46 AM

Sam Ash was the first place I ever saw or played a Larrivee. That would be about 11 years ago. It was when I was just beginning to "get back into" guitars, after a long hiatus. Money was a bit tighter then, and although I loved the sound and feel of the ones I played, I thought there was no way I'd ever pay over $1K for a guitar. Then they stopped carrying them. A salesman said they clearanced them out for about 40% off. I was bummed I missed that sale.

I did see where GC was going to carry them again, about 4 years ago or so. I think I saw one model in my local GC. Once it sold, I haven't seen another (except a used one). Since all we have here are GC, Sam Ash and George's, I don't think I'll see another one new unless I travel somewhere.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar center, larrivee