The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 PM

I used to have an MIM strat. The only upgrade I did was swapping out the stock pups for Seymour Duncans. (Note: A pup swap is something pretty much *every* strat player does at least once.)

I never really found a Tele I liked. However, I could dig a tele-style guitar with a humbucker in both the neck and the bridge.

As for a Tele making you "prove it," they really aren't any harder or any easier to play than any other guitar. However, Fender guitars do have narrower nut widths than other guitars (Gibson SG: 1-11/16", Fender: 1-5/8" or thereabouts) and a curvy fretboard radius (Vintage Fender" 7.5" radius. Most modern guitars including fender: 9.5" at the nut).

Ovation CSE24
Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 PM

Default fender baja classic player telecaster

Pastor Jeff,

As a Christian guitar player and senior pastor allow me to recommend the Fender Baja Classic Player Telecaster.

As a serious player, electric and acoustic, let me just say of all the guitars I own, many Strats, Teles, Gibsons, the Baja was the cheapest (a third of the price of the other guitars listed) but in my opinion the best overall instrument.

It comes in the classic butterscotch blackguard coler scheme and it really has unbelievable sound and action, not to mention 52 tele vibe. Played the high dollar 52 reissue and the baja won hands down.

Bought mine sight unseen from an online retailer. These guitars are made in Mexico but the quality is extreamly consistent. Besides if you don't like it you can return it no questions asked within 45 days.

Just a footnote---Teles have an unbelievable big hollow body Jazz sound with the neck pickup. And can be used as a great compliment to somone playing acoustic comping, as the tele would be used for lead fills.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:23 PM

I usually have humbuckers in the neck position of Tele's and Strats.
That makes for a great combination of tones for all styles of music.

Listen to this one.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=au67PyVSHPg
Old 10-01-2007, 04:30 PM

I've owned and played both Strats and Tele's. Frankly, they have their own personality and each has merits in their own rights.

For me, I've opted to keep my Strat as my one and only electric at this point. For my playing style and kinds of music that I play, the Strat just fills the bill. As for the configuration, I like my American Strat....off the rack. I've compared it to other modified or hot rodded models. I used to own a "Lone Star" Strat with a humbucker in the bridge. It was nice...no complaints, but I felt that I really didn't need both strats.

The Stratocaster just has great feel and is an incredibly versatile guitar. I do think it lends itself more to rock and blues though. Just my .02 cents.
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 PM

Default WEirD?

I'd say that since you had a Strat before, you might be better off buying another Strat. BUT personally, I feel that my Telecaster feels better in my hands than my Strat. I REALLY do think I sound better with a Telecaster than a Strat...I like the "fight" in my Tele (where I have to work against the guitar), whereas I don't have that "fight" with the Strat. With the Strat, I don't think I put as much effort in playing it like I do with the Tele.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
I'd say that since you had a Strat before, you might be better off buying another Strat. BUT personally, I feel that my Telecaster feels better in my hands than my Strat. I REALLY do think I sound better with a Telecaster than a Strat...I like the "fight" in my Tele (where I have to work against the guitar), whereas I don't have that "fight" with the Strat. With the Strat, I don't think I put as much effort in playing it like I do with the Tele.
I don't understand the comment about having to fight the Tele.

I didn't play Teles until about 10 years ago, but all Tele's are not created equal.

Across the line there are different shape necks, different pickups, different body styles including a semi hollow body. There are Tele's that have the same pickup configuration as a Strat but not the floating bridge. But some Tele copies even have that.

I think with the neck shape that I like and the pickup mix that I like a Tele is a very versatile instrument.

I guess, in the end, it is probably personal taste.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM

I started with a Strat after 30 years of playing the same acoustic guitar. It was much better after a setup, but still didn't click with me like some Teles. I was to be honest surprised by the Tele versatility. It sounded way more jazzy with neck pickup, and of course there's the twang in back even though I'm not a country player.

More interesting to me is I've wanted a hollow body or something maybe prettier and did a lot of playing of other guitars recently and was amazed how good my not too expensive Highway One Tele is compared to other Teles and other guitars.

One thing to consider is the tone you want. First I'll mention that it didn't take long for me to not want any or many effects and that's one thing that made me not like my Strat as much. Basically the Strat quick sounded better more over driven or with effects. Next is amp. I was slow to realize (and too cheap), but now that I have a tube amp it makes it all even more of a pleasure. Individual notes and melodies just have a pleasant edge with my tube amp.

Just play them for your ultimate answer to yourself.

Have fun shopping and with your ultimate decision.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 PM

just remember, you get what you pay for and that's the bottom line. I finally ponied up for an EJ strat and it's the best money I ever spent.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:54 AM

I would check out used guitars... you can find really good deals that way. But first, I'd go to a music store that has a lot of stock, and try out as many as you can. And don't overlook Squier just because of the name... some of the older ones, especially, can be really good. I bought a used Squier bullet (80s, Korea) for $25, expecting it to be a piece of crap that I could do horrible experiments to. I ended up liking it too much to do that. It needed a little soldering work, and the whammy socket needed to be drilled and retapped, but the neck is super fast and comfortable, and it has more bass to it than any guitar I've played.
80s Fernandez strats are also a very good deal, and much better than any Fender you could get for the same price.
My favorite guitar was made by a little company in Maryland in the 60s, and those go for about $300 when they come up on ebay... I'm not going to say any more, but there are enough clues there if you're motivated.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:02 AM

One advantage I see for the Tele (for me at least) is the fact that the tele is a hardtail. I know you can get a hardtail strat, but it's not common. If you hate fooling with the tremolo, you might appreciate the simplicity of the Tele.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
One advantage I see for the Tele (for me at least) is the fact that the tele is a hardtail. I know you can get a hardtail strat, but it's not common. If you hate fooling with the tremolo, you might appreciate the simplicity of the Tele.
My Strat was better via spring upgrade, but I still sold it after a few months with the Tele.

I don't know if it's the hard tail you mention, but as slabs of wood with strings on them, my Tele still has tone the Strat didn't. I think that is part of why I like it so much with no effects.

Just play them and keep in mind the importance of setup.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 PM

If money was no problem, I would have both.
But...since I am broke due to GAS,
I recommend an American made Nashville Tele...
it has three single coil PU's and it covers all styles.
Just wish I could play a little better
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The choice is clearly one that involves taste. Your taste. Play 'em and see which one feels better to you. Find an artist that makes a sound you like and see what guitar/amp/effect combo produces the sound you hear. It's a good starting place.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Default American Strat

I recently bought an American Deluxe Strat HSS FMT. It has a bridge humbucker and S1 switch that offers a lot of tone varieties. I prefer the light contoured body feel of the Strat body versus the heavy body of a classic Tele. The flamed maple top is less adorned than most Strats, with no pickguard and only two knobs instead of 3, it is simple looking and real pretty to me. Fender makes a Tele version of this FMT guitar as well with a body that appears to be more countoured (Strat-like) than a classic Tele. There are so many options out there. Pick the one that feels right and speaks to you, mine begs me to play it each time I open the case.

Last edited by johnnyp; 10-03-2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvee View Post
I don't understand the comment about having to fight the Tele.

I didn't play Teles until about 10 years ago, but all Tele's are not created equal.

Across the line there are different shape necks, different pickups, different body styles including a semi hollow body. There are Tele's that have the same pickup configuration as a Strat but not the floating bridge. But some Tele copies even have that.

I think with the neck shape that I like and the pickup mix that I like a Tele is a very versatile instrument.

I guess, in the end, it is probably personal taste.
I don't have a problem with a Strat. But a typical FENDER Telecaster does not have body contours like the Strat has. And YES, it's more of a "fight" to get the "right" tones.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars