The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
The new one sounds far more open to me, whilst the older one sounds more compressed... I know that's generally considered a good thing, but not when it causes a fundamental tonal-shift to an iconic tone.

I don't think the new one sounds like a Martin! I prefer the tone of the older one.
I would tend to agree with you. My comment about the Eastman E20D was not completely in jest. I would love to hear Ted at LA Guitars throw in his two cents on this since he sells both.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmay View Post
They both sound absolutely beautiful to my ears (damaged and high-tone deaf due aircraft engines).

I thought the 2017 sounded a little more mellow and the 2016 'crisper'.

I shall 'soldier on' with my 2008 D-28 as I have neither the funds (readily available) or the interest to change from the best Dreadnought I've ever played.

Thanks Spoon. Seems to me Martin can't lose this one . . . (good).
Yes, there are plenty of pre 2017 D-28 that are not Dogs, Flat, Muffed, etc. ,etc. I own one.
I might start buying some of them that pickers will be unloading to rush out and buy the new one and put on some new strings, set them up right, get the right pick and strings and see how they sound then. My guess is that there will be a few of the new one that somebody somewhere will not like too. Not knocking the new one, (or the older one) who knows I might end up with one. Just saying there are plenty of great D-28's new and old out there.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 AM

I also would prefer the 2016 guitar sound if a D28 is called for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-28, guitar comparison, martin