The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

The benefits of a CF acoustic guitar cannot be understated. Especially during the winter when humidity dips down, these guitars aren't affected and continue doing their job. I've been enjoying the little Rainsong Parlor all winter while my fine wood guitars are happily humidifying in their cases, and I've really come to appreciate this guitar. The size makes it so comfortable to play anywhere and the volume can rival a full-size wood guitar. Tonally, it is missing some of the subtle harmonics of my boutique instruments, but the difference is not enough to outweigh the durability and sheer convenience of a worry-free guitar that can be left out on the stand, at-the-ready when you have a few minutes to play.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
The benefits of a CF acoustic guitar cannot be understated. Especially during the winter when humidity dips down, these guitars aren't affected and continue doing their job. I've been enjoying the little Rainsong Parlor all winter while my fine wood guitars are happily humidifying in their cases, and I've really come to appreciate this guitar. The size makes it so comfortable to play anywhere and the volume can rival a full-size wood guitar. Tonally, it is missing some of the subtle harmonics of my boutique instruments, but the difference is not enough to outweigh the durability and sheer convenience of a worry-free guitar that can be left out on the stand, at-the-ready when you have a few minutes to play.
Totally agree. Much as with cameras, the best guitar is the one you have!

Guilds
'59 X175AB, '68 Starfire II Bass, '70 Guild/Henderson D50, '73 D50NT, '74 Mark V, '86 SB602P, '87 SB602M, '96 D25-12, '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce, '13 B54ce, '13 R30S, '13 Orpheum OM, '13 Orpheum Jumbo, '22 D40 Traditional

Others
'69 D28, '97 Bourgeois Slope D, '02 D18 David Crosby Signature, '01 Gibson WM45, '13 00017SM, '17 Lowden O22
Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
Totally agree. Much as with cameras, the best guitar is the one you have!
I thought that was pistols?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I thought that was pistols?
I thought it was Women???
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Thanks for your input on the discussion. I can totally appreciate how in certain circumstances a CF guitar is the only way to go.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just bought my second RainSong today, this one a WS1000 with the N1 neck. I find the N2 neck to be just a bit chunky for my tastes, but certainly not to the point of being a deal breaker. As others here have said, RainSongs can certainly be addictive. So far my playing experience has been limited to the dreads and the WS models, but every one has been nothing short of stellar, and their environmental resistance makes them a pretty compelling choice. I'm converted!
I've owned many RainSongs in various body styles and have come to prefer the WS1000N1 as the best fit for me both playing-wise and tone-wise.

Regards,

SpruceTop (aka RainDance when carbonated)
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-23-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
I just bought my second RainSong today, this one a WS1000 with the N1 neck. I find the N2 neck to be just a bit chunky for my tastes, but certainly not to the point of being a deal breaker. As others here have said, RainSongs can certainly be addictive. So far my playing experience has been limited to the dreads and the WS models, but every one has been nothing short of stellar, and their environmental resistance makes them a pretty compelling choice. I'm converted!
Wow Sandy... I know how much of a Guild fan you are (from LTG), and your Orpheum love is clear... that you also love these RS dreads/jumbos says alot. Thanks for sharing. It looks like I will be purchasing the Rainsong BI-WS1000N2 now for sale in AGF classifieds... wish me luck.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 08-23-2014 at 02:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber