The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Default Super glue on cut finger tip?

A long while back I had an accident that ripped the skin off the tip of my middle finger on my left (picking) hand. It left a pad of scar tissue that sometimes catches on the strings. Lately I've using my middle and ring fingers more often, and the skin is starting to tear a little at the base of that pad of scar tissue.

A question for those of you who fingerpick with bare fingers a lot, and need to be ready for performances, is what do you do about cut finger tips? I was thinking of applying super glue to the tear in the skin. Dumb idea?

I never could get used to fingerpicks, so that's not an option for me.

Thanks much.

Nick
Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 PM

I've never used super glue to repair cuts on my fingertips, but I've used it plenty of times on cuts in other places. Redneck stitches is what I call it. lol Super glue wont hurt you. Give it a shot.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 PM

It will work. Stings like crazy though. I get splits in my thumb from work (wood shop) and have used CA glue (commercial super glue) in a pinch. Liquid bandage from the drug store works a bit better for me.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:23 PM

My fingertips split from the cold. I use superglue everyday. It can be filed to make it nice and smooth. It's also very effective on cuts and has saved us a few visits to the ER.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:29 PM

I'd advise caution. Most superglues are cyanoacryllics and you may not want that around open cuts.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 PM

My bro the paramedic says that Crazy Glue (not Super Glue) is the same thing as Derma Bond, just that Derma Bond is made under approval of the FDA and is thus 1000x more expensive. Apparently Crazy glue stings less than Super Glue. I've used it several times on toenails (martial arts done barefoot, don't want to rip a nail on a cotton mat, cry like a schoolgirl, then have to clean up the blood) and it works great. You can also shape it once dry with a nail file...
Old 11-25-2011, 01:56 PM

I've used SuperGlue on minor cuts and those pesky skin-splits on my fingertips and it doesn't last for more than a day or two (at most) if you don't play your guitar. It detaches even sooner once you start to play. SuperGlue might get you through a gig in a pinch, but it's definitely not the proper solution. Also, as previously mentioned, it stings like hell.

What really does the trick is a medical/surgical adhesive called Dermabond. The doctors used this stuff on both of my kids instead of stitches and it works great. It not only closes and seals the cut or wound, it actually assists in the healing process. It used to be available only to doctors, but it's now commercially available if you look for it. It doesn't sting and will stay in place until you've healed. The excess then slowly detaches after about 10 to 14 days.

Liquid bandage is another option, but it's basically for minor skin cuts where there's not much stretching of the skin or pressure on the affected area of your body. Liquid bandage is only a fraction of the strength of Dermabond and doesn't last very long on finger cuts or fingertip splits once you start to play your guitar.

The last option is a veterinary version of Dermabond called Vetbond. It's pretty much the same as Dermabond, but has blue dye added to it so the Vet or pet owner can easily spot the treated area under an animal's fur. It's sinificantly cheaper than Dermabond, but you gotta walk around with blue fingertips for a couple of weeks, which looks kinda strange.

You can buy Dermabond here...

http://www.amazon.com/Dermabond-Topi.../dp/B002TSIP9O

It ain't cheap, but it's the proper medical treatment for finger cuts and deep fingertip splits.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post
I've used SuperGlue on minor cuts and those pesky skin-splits on my fingertips and it doesn't last for more than a day or two (at most) if you don't play your guitar. It detaches even sooner once you start to play. SuperGlue might get you through a gig in a pinch, but it's definitely not the proper solution. Also, as previously mentioned, it stings like hell.

What really does the trick is a medical/surgical adhesive called Dermabond. The doctors used this stuff on both of my kids instead of stitches and it works great. It not only closes and seals the cut or wound, it actually assists in the healing process. It used to be available only to doctors, but it's now commercially available if you look for it. It doesn't sting and will stay in place until you've healed. The excess then slowly detaches after about 10 to 14 days.

Liquid bandage is another option, but it's basically for minor skin cuts where there's not much stretching of the skin or pressure on the affected area of your body. Liquid bandage is only a fraction of the strength of Dermabond and doesn't last very long on finger cuts or fingertip splits once you start to play your guitar.

The last option is a veterinary version of Dermabond called Vetbond. It's pretty much the same as Dermabond, but has blue dye added to it so the Vet or pet owner can easily spot the treated area under an animal's fur. It's sinificantly cheaper than Dermabond, but you gotta walk around with blue fingertips for a couple of weeks, which looks kinda strange.

You can buy Dermabond here...

http://www.amazon.com/Dermabond-Topi.../dp/B002TSIP9O

It ain't cheap, but it's the proper medical treatment for finger cuts and deep fingertip splits.
My main concern was whether it would wear right off when playing guitar, and /or slow the healing process. I've used superglue for small-animal surgery, but not in spots that get continual wear.

Thanks for the Dermabond site -- I didn't know about this.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:16 PM

I have had to use super glue before shows for finger cuts. On one occasion I would have had to cancel if it was not for the super glue. The rest of the band was happy
2009 SCGC 1929 00-17, Hog/Hog
2006 Andrew White F Model, cedar/maple
2008 Andrew White E Model, Cedar/Zir
2013 Martin Ambertone 000-18GE
2011 Brentrup GC6, Adi/Oak
2012 Huss and Dalton OM, Sitka/Chechen
2013 Martin custom 0028, Adi/MR
2015 ARK New ERA, OM Adi.MR
Turnstone TG, Oak,
Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
A long while back I had an accident that ripped the skin off the tip of my middle finger on my left (picking) hand. It left a pad of scar tissue that sometimes catches on the strings. Lately I've using my middle and ring fingers more often, and the skin is starting to tear a little at the base of that pad of scar tissue.

A question for those of you who fingerpick with bare fingers a lot, and need to be ready for performances, is what do you do about cut finger tips? I was thinking of applying super glue to the tear in the skin. Dumb idea?

I never could get used to fingerpicks, so that's not an option for me.

Thanks much.

Nick
Hey Nick...
I use SuperGlue to seal cuts as a fingerstyler, but don't know if it's tough/durable enough to use on a finger that does fingerings. There is a medically safe version of it available at any pharmacy. Bonding skin to skin (sealing a cut) is different than padding the tip.

I also use it to repair rips or tears in nails, but I strum with the back of my nails, and have to reapply it after any gig. It lasts about one gig (and I fingerpick more than I strum).

Probably depends on how much hammering on and pulling off of strings you do as to whether it will protect and have the ability to last long enough with out being dislodged (peeled off).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
My bro the paramedic says that Crazy Glue (not Super Glue) is the same thing as Derma Bond, just that Derma Bond is made under approval of the FDA and is thus 1000x more expensive.
No offense to your brother, but that's a totally unqualified opinion. HHP is right (although it's "cyanoacrylate" not cyanoacrylic) that the type of cyanoacrylate in both Krazy Glue and Super Glue is toxic to 5% of the population. Dermabond is a butyl-cyanoacrylate that's safe for 100% of the population. I just wanted to say this because the misinformation in your post could be seriously harmful to someone who thinks it's ok to use Krazy Glue on a cut when it's been shown to be toxic to 1 in every 20 people. I'm posting this from my phone and can't post a link, but do a search of cyanoacrylates and you'll find that HHP is actually correct.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 PM

Ouch. I'll tell him!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:32 PM

For the money, Vetbond is way cheaper than Dermabond.... $16 for 3ml versus $29 for 1ml of Dermabond.

The only downside is that Vetbond makes you look like a Smurf.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post
No offense to your brother, but that's a totally unqualified opinion. HHP is right (although it's "cyanoacrylate" not cyanoacrylic) that the type of cyanoacrylate in both Krazy Glue and Super Glue is toxic to 5% of the population. Dermabond is a butyl-cyanoacrylate that's safe for 100% of the population. I just wanted to say this because the misinformation in your post could be seriously harmful to someone who thinks it's ok to use Krazy Glue on a cut when it's been shown to be toxic to 1 in every 20 people. I'm posting this from my phone and can't post a link, but do a search of cyanoacrylates and you'll find that HHP is actually correct.
If you believe Wikipedia, here's the layman's summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Toxicity

Reaction to the fumes is not the same as the implied "poisoning". CA was originally branded as Eastman 510, and sold to doctors as a wound closure. Yes, medical grade is far preferable to hobby/industrial grade for such use. But you won't die from it's use. At worst, it will piss off your doctor a lot when he has to try to debond it if it doesn't work, and you have to go in for stitches (don't ask...) Becasue skin oils do cause it to debond after a day or two, it is not a great solution to the original question. Maybe in an emergency just before a show, but otherwise, not something to routinely count on.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:58 PM

I have to disagree about using super glue on cuts. That is what it was created for. Something I learned in my Air Force days.

My neighbor cut his finger real bad. We drove him into the nearest urgency care clinic about 30 miles away. Guess what doc used to seal that cut. Yes, super glue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion