The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Fender Jazz Bass as normal guitar

Hi

Has anyone seen a (probably scaled down) six string electric guitar version of the Fender Jazz Bass? I wonder if it does well as an electric guitar? And why Fender doesn't do one..

This classic shape has strangly made me want to get a Bass guitar (I can't play Bass)... a bit surpricing as I really do not fancy the Strat-like design.

I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with this body shape.

Last edited by Northward; 06-19-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM

i'm not sure of your question. that picture is not a "normal" guitar, it is a bass.
note it only has 4 strings. perhaps you mean the old fender 6 string bass.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Yes, that oversize picture without the head stock is a bit hard to identify, but it's a bass with one Precision-style bass pickup, one Jazz style bass pickup, and four strings like a typical bass guitar.

I have a short-scale bass from Fender's inexpensive Squier line, with that "P/J" style pickup array but with a body like the Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar guitar. It has the short scale (30 inch) length, and it was my gateway back into playing electric bass. If you ever want to consider playing bass, a short-scale bass may be somewhat easier to get started on than the traditional 34 inch scale length.

Someone also mentioned above that Fender has made several models of the "Bass VI" a six string instrument with a 30 inch scale intended to be tuned one octave below a guitar. It's been played like a bass with extra strings (e.g. Jack Bruce on the first Cream album) or as baritone guitar with (Glen Campbell, Wichita Lineman). But that instrument also has a Jazzmaster/Jaguar body shape.

Another guess as to what you might have seen is a guitar first sold as the Squier 51 which is shaped a bit like a Fender bass and with a control plate like the original Fender Precision bass, but with 6 strings, a pair of guitar pickups, and a regular guitar scale length of 25.5 inches. These were fun, inexpensive, guitars.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM

The real difference in the jazz bass is the "offset" design, with the slanted waist and lower bout.

There's a reasonably priced Jackson, the Chris Broderick Soloist 6 (under $900), but it may be a little too sleek and shreddy in design for you. The picture I'm posting is the custom shop 7 string one with the all the bling. The cheap one is all black, or all white.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I believe that the bass pictured in the op is the fender Aerodyne Jazz.
Te few I have encountered were not bad instruments considering the price point imo.
If they ever made a guitar with that body I have never seen it.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 06-19-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I believe that the bass pictured in the op is the fender Aerodyne Jazz.
Te few I have encountered were not bad instruments considering the price point imo.
If they ever made a guitar with that body I have never seen it.
You're spot on, -it's the MIJ Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass, wich I belive is identical to a normal Jazz Bass with different PUs. I like that clean look - without a scrach plate. Very graphic.

Maybe I was a bit unprecise in my OP, but the idea was a "normal" 6-string el-guitar with the Jazz Bass bodyshape. I cannot play bass, though I am kinda tempted to try as it is a very cool looking instrument in the right hands. Especially cool in a Reggae band. I grew up listening to alot of Reggae and british bands influenced by it. BUT, I suspect it's kinda hard to learn. I'm a strummer - making songs on the guitar.

I digress.

Thanks for ideas. I'd love to find a clone or version of the Jazz Bass in a guitar. Haven't seen any except DIY stuff pople made from Warmouth parts.
There is something solid about those big horns thats lacking in many of the typical Metal guitars. They typically look thin and pointy vs the buff look of that Fender Jazz Bass.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
The real difference in the jazz bass is the "offset" design, with the slanted waist and lower bout.

There's a reasonably priced Jackson, the Chris Broderick Soloist 6 (under $900), but it may be a little too sleek and shreddy in design for you. The picture I'm posting is the custom shop 7 string one with the all the bling. The cheap one is all black, or all white.

too sleek and shreddy is very well put :-)

But I can def see the likeness.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM

I love guitars

Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 PM

So I went on Google and typed in "offset guitar", and look what showed up...

Fender pawn shop offset special. The opposite of shred, and the one in the Ebay advert has a cool 1950's precision bass-like pickguard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Fender-...EAAOSw~e5ZOuo1
Old 06-19-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
So I went on Google and typed in "offset guitar", and look what showed up...

Fender pawn shop offset special. The opposite of shred, and the one in the Ebay advert has a cool 1950's precision bass-like pickguard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Fender-...EAAOSw~e5ZOuo1
Yeah, I've seen this before. This looks more like a Strat to me though.
I never got why Fender discontinued the Pawn shop. It was cool and a breath of fresh air. Now, Fender - Gibson...same same, it's just business period. Very little innovation if any! sadly.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Now, Fender - Gibson...same same, it's just business period. Very little innovation if any! sadly.
Gibson and Fender still make fantastic instruments.
This is why they rule the market. I love guitars...
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars
Old 06-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
Gibson and Fender still make fantastic instruments.
This is why they rule the market. I love guitars...
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars
Nobody disagrees with their legacy.
I'm just pointing out the fact that the guitar industry is particular stagnant what innovation is concerned. Can you imagine BMW or Mercedes beeing leading brands in the automobile industry with such anemic emphasis on innovation? There is IMO something very wrong with this type of thinking. You can't rest on nostalgia forever. Roland and their great synth legacy: same problem. Innovation is poor and they keep making lesser mini-remakes from their popular past.

A company with it's haydays of design and development took place 50-60years ago is like a playboy with a trust found. All marketing and new colours. Nothing really new.

Therefore I root for new companies with fresh new ideas in the music instrument industry. Marked dominance with few contestants are not for the good of the customers.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I built a telecaster parts guitar and had the body cut for a strat neck. It works great.

I wonder if you could get Warmoth or some other parts maker to make you a jazz body with a guitar neck pocket? Maybe a local luthier could help you finish it by placing the bridge, routing the body for the pickups, and whatever else needs doing. It could be cool!

I don't know how much bigger the jazz bass body is though. Might be too big?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
I built a telecaster parts guitar and had the body cut for a strat neck. It works great.

I wonder if you could get Warmoth or some other parts maker to make you a jazz body with a guitar neck pocket? Maybe a local luthier could help you finish it by placing the bridge, routing the body for the pickups, and whatever else needs doing. It could be cool!

I don't know how much bigger the jazz bass body is though. Might be too big?

I've been toying with the idea. Some DIY projects I've seen online just smack on a strat guitar neck, but I really think the body must be shrunken some 30% to work well. The Jazz Bass really has a great shape I must admit I've been ignorant to.

The lines are quite reminiscent of this old Hofner 176 De-luxe. A very cool guitar, both in shape and sound.

If some of you know of anyone who makes drawings for DIY guitar, I'd love to hear from you. Especially this Hofner, they are very rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars