The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Line 6 Pod?

I'm new to guitar and trying acoustic and electric. I want to experiment at home with getting different electric sounds I might recognize from others' work, but don't want to use a modeling amp, or invest in individual pedals, and don't want to spend a bunch of money.

Toward that end, I'm looking for input on which Line 6 Pod-type product would best meet my needs, as there have been changes over the years, and there are many different models (XT, Pro, V.2, Mobile, etc.), so the correct choice is not apparent, and the various videos and print info sources are not that helpful on my issue of which to purchase over another.

Assume I already know most people hate the Pod, there are way better products, all cheap modelers but especially the Pod have excessive latency, etc. I'd like to try a Pod and want to know which year(s)/model(s) would best meet my elementary needs now (<$200 used range), with maybe a little room to grow (but not leaving the house).

I see Pods being played into computers and, apparently, out of the computer's speakers - is it possible to play them through an amp, as well?

Any input appreciated.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:06 AM

I've never heard a pod I liked, but there are alternatives:
The 50 watt version is $199 new. Acoustic and electric amp,
USB interface, multiple effects and power stages, editable patches, etc...

https://youtu.be/-S_dBTK9Boo
Old 05-20-2017, 11:17 AM

i have the pod 2.0 kidney shape. it has a wealth of sounds and many people love them and have recorded with them. i have two friends who use them, one the pod xt and the other a 2.0 like mine, in live situations as well as recording. they use them thru amps, and, direct in thru their audio interfaces. they also use them thru the PA system when live.

you can find most of them used at a good price.

i still use mine now and then but i have come to prefer the sound of individual pedals instead of a singular multi-effects unit.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-20-2017, 12:30 PM

I use a version 1 POD kidney bean in my live rig all the time. It gives me an insane wealth of tones in one place. I've found that they do sound much more convincing if there is a tube in the signal path somewhere (like a tube preamp, et al). I also use a Boss CS-3 compressor in front of it.

The latency issue may crop up if you record with one directly into a computer, but it doesn't affect live use at all. On the V1 and V2, there are 2 output choices, via selector switch...one is for "direct out" to a computer or sound system, and the other is the "amp" output. The difference is that the direct output adds cabinet simulation while the amp output bypasses that feature. Later versions allow a choice of different cab sims...I never use this so it doesn't matter to me. If I record with this, it is through my amp with a mike.

I never use the presets on this...I just set it in 'Manual" mode and use various models as I see fit, tweaking the tone depending on how it sounds IRT. The Marshall and Fender based models are the best, but lately I've been using it through a Class A amp and the class-A-based models are sounding great.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
I've never heard a pod I liked, but there are alternatives:
The 50 watt version is $199 new. Acoustic and electric amp,
USB interface, multiple effects and power stages, editable patches, etc...

https://youtu.be/-S_dBTK9Boo
I've got a Mustang II v. 2 that allows a lot of the same stuff, but it's more than I can handle, hence, thinking a pod might be a simpler intro to modified tones. I do like that Boss setup, though.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:01 PM

Sounds like there isn't really a pod year/model/version to avoid, so that's nice. For those who've used and like them, if you wanted to replace yours today, which would you choose?
Old 05-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Had a pod 2.o...they are fine/meh for more of the heavier and metal stuff, though never bonded with it...but for the same cost, I prefer the vox tonelab series for cleaner/od stuff...bought, sold and bought again.

And yes, through headphones, pa, computer spkrs, powered monitors and tube amps...also combined with analog pedals right now, it is looped switched in/out of the pedal board and can go to tube amp or headphones/small computer spkrs via cheap mixing board.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Had a pod 2.o...they are fine/meh for more of the heavier and metal stuff, though never bonded with it...but for the same cost, I prefer the vox tonelab series for cleaner/od stuff...bought, sold and bought again.

And yes, through headphones, pa, computer spkrs, powered monitors and tube amps...also combined with analog pedals right now, it is looped switched in/out of the pedal board and can go to tube amp or headphones/small computer spkrs via cheap mixing board.

I'd not heard of that and it looks like it does what I want. There are several models, some with pedals. If you replaced yours today, which would you get (my need = stand alone w/amp, no outside pedals/board/mixers, etc.)?
Old 05-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

If you don't want a "physical" device, I think Amplitube is pretty cool. I bought Amplitube Max and a ton of sounds. Here is a quick clip done with an Epiphone Dot Studio using, if I remember correctly, the Fender 57 Twin reverb.

Listen to Drive by Todd in Chicago #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-817338923/drive

The Mesa Boogie options are pretty cool too.

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I'd not heard of that and it looks like it does what I want. There are several models, some with pedals. If you replaced yours today, which would you get (my need = stand alone w/amp, no outside pedals/board/mixers, etc.)?
The one in the pic is the tt=table top v.1 (oldest) found for $25 and I've seen v.2 (blue color) and v.3 (silver color, 1 pedal) between $100-200 and the newest which is also a v.4 is a smaller black 1 pedal format but also has an aux input so that you can jam along to a ipod/cd or whatever without a mixing board. I'd do the v.2 ...blue with the 2 pedals.

Another older unit is the Yamaha DG Stomp that some folks really like....though I've not played one.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 05-20-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
The one in the pic is the tt=table top v.1 (oldest) found for $25 and I've seen v.2 (blue color) and v.3 (silver color, 1 pedal) between $100-200 and the newest which is also a v.4 is a smaller black 1 pedal format but also has an aux input so that you can jam along to a ipod/cd or whatever without a mixing board. I'd do the v.2 ...blue with the 2 pedals.

Another older unit is the Yamaha DG Stomp that some folks really like....though I've not played one.
Thanks for that guidance - the search begins.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
If you don't want a "physical" device, I think Amplitube is pretty cool. I bought Amplitube Max and a ton of sounds. Here is a quick clip done with an Epiphone Dot Studio using, if I remember correctly, the Fender 57 Twin reverb.

Listen to Drive by Todd in Chicago #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-817338923/drive

The Mesa Boogie options are pretty cool too.

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I do want a physical device, just not a full modeling amp. I liked your Simple Man - my current fav of that is by Shinedown - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgFQ6WmxdMs
Old 05-21-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Sounds like there isn't really a pod year/model/version to avoid, so that's nice. For those who've used and like them, if you wanted to replace yours today, which would you choose?
I would definitely get a version 1 or POD 2.0 for the simple fact that, apart from sounding great, they are very easy to adjust on the fly, and don't require scrolling through menus or creating patches to store in memory.

Ultimately, I'm using it to play music and I find that some of the latest gear with very deep feature sets and learning curve are just too much. I get all wrapped up in the technology and it kinda kills my buzz...I don't wanna mess with all that; just want to get my tone and then PLAY!

I bought my Line 6 POD right when they came out, twenty years ago...I'm still using that very unit, and I play through it at every gig (also have a couple others here and there). The trick with these, IMHO, is to ignore the presets...just set to 'manual' and use the controls as you would with any other amp. I can switch from highly saturated Marshall tone to a sparkly clean fender Black-face Twin (or just about anything else you can think of) in about 5 seconds flat.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-21-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
I would definitely get a version 1 or POD 2.0 for the simple fact that, apart from sounding great, they are very easy to adjust on the fly, and don't require scrolling through menus or creating patches to store in memory.

Ultimately, I'm using it to play music and I find that some of the latest gear with very deep feature sets and learning curve are just too much. I get all wrapped up in the technology and it kinda kills my buzz...I don't wanna mess with all that; just want to get my tone and then PLAY!

I bought my Line 6 POD right when they came out, twenty years ago...I'm still using that very unit, and I play through it at every gig (also have a couple others here and there). The trick with these, IMHO, is to ignore the presets...just set to 'manual' and use the controls as you would with any other amp. I can switch from highly saturated Marshall tone to a sparkly clean fender Black-face Twin (or just about anything else you can think of) in about 5 seconds flat.
I appreciate that endorsement, and, after trying to wade through the Mustang's 75 on-board amps models (well, maybe not that many) and unlimited opportunity to then use their confusing software to use others' creations or form my own, it became a bit overwhelming, hence consideration of the Pod or its equal. Perhaps if I were a 14 year old gamer it'd be easier, but I'm not - this old guy needs him some clearly marked knobs.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Guitar Gourmet

You can get these things to sound great if you are willing to wade through the business of programming a modeler and you know your guitar and amp stuff. Here's the deal: a typical player may spend years learning what it takes to make his guitar sound great - what amp, what effects, etc. If you go into modeling with that knowledge it is pretty easy to make a modeler sound great. Without it you are in the dark.

I have a POD 2.0 but moved on to a POD HD500X. I used the POD 2.0 for several years in the studio. Depending on the needs of the client I might use a modern or vintage amp but for some of my work, yes, I've built POD HD500x presets which, when recorded, sound as good as a good amp/pedal rig. It's all in the special sauce of the presets, the combination of amp tweaks and effects you use.

I've reviewed the two PODs, the POD 2.0 and the POD HD500X. Maybe my reviews would be helpful.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars