The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 AM

Default Slide Guitar Beginner (tunings?)

I've been playing for 12 years and I've messed around with the occasional beer bottle... But now I've purchase an actual slide and I'm jumping into it for the first time. I'm somewhat surprised how easy it has been to pick up, especially in open tunings.

My questions is what tunings should I work on first and is there one that bridges over well into other tunings? I assume each has their place, but could you master one tuning and just stick with that, or with slide you are constantly changing? Are licks similar between tunings, or completely different? I've started in Open E. I've seen some stuff I like in Drop D that's interesting (high and low e dropped.) Open C looks awesome, but I don't really want to put on super high tension strings to compensate. Looking for any and all advice to help me with the process. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 AM

I'm a sloppy slide player who still can't get away from it because I love the sound so much. There's lots of techniques and tunings, but yes, I'd guess many would learn best to pick a tuning and to concentrate on that one first.

Open E and Open G are related, so you can easily use the licks in one on the other. A capo is another way to vary the sound without keeping the string to string relationships common. Open G also works well for non-slide riff playing (think Keith Richards).

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the info! I'll look into open G. If Keith can do it with 5 strings, it should be a breeze haha. As far as the capo, I assume you can capo into the key of what song you are playing.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 AM

Open G is definitely the joint. And once you learn it, you can play any riff you know just as easily in open D. Just move one string over.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 AM

I play a variation of low G (as compared to high G Dobro tuning). I play EGDGBD. You get all of your Keith Richards licks on the upper five strings, major chords based on root on the 5th string and you get m7 chords based on the root on the 6th string.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM

I started in standard, since I already had a good handle on the scales and positions in that. Now it's about 50/50 between open D and G, and I still play some standard to stay current in it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Now it's about 50/50 between open D and G, and I still play some standard to stay current in it.

Smart move. I didn't, and now other than first string, am pretty much lost.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I started in standard, since I already had a good handle on the scales and positions in that. Now it's about 50/50 between open D and G, and I still play some standard to stay current in it.

Do you play with the slide on your pinky and use fretting in your playing? This is something i'd like to incorporate as I get better.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 AM

I use the slide on my pinky, but the whole fretting with the other fingers idea still is still really lacking. I think it's that I use that finger for so many of the chords I play it makes for a big adjustment to have to not use it. I usually just set the slide on top of my amp when not using it for a song.

I do use a heavy walled chrome slide so I can play cleanly with my standard action and 10 gauge strings, though. The mass lets me just barely press on the strings and have them ring out nicely.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-19-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Open G is definitely the joint. And once you learn it, you can play any riff you know just as easily in open D. Just move one string over.
G for me too.

Reso and electric. Just fits my vocals well.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Liking open G a lot. Thanks for all of the recommendations.

Rollin' and Tumblin' and In My Time of Dying learned! Time to hit up some Rolling Stones classics.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:40 PM

I'm not really a slide player.

Having said that, I do own a lap steel and with a metal slide and if I'm called to play it, then it's mostly to add a tasteful touch of colour over the top another guitarist in standard tuning.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars