The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-29-2023, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Raingsong and Service Work?

I am considering getting a used Rainsong, but the only reservation I have (now that they are closed) is for service. Technically, the only adjustments needed should be on the nut and saddle. However, what about when you need new frets? Is this something you would trust with any reputable guitar shop or need to find one that specializes in carbon fiber work?

The guitar in question is definitely in need of new frets, but it has caught my eye for a few reasons..... the N1 neck and it's a 12 fret-er.

Am I being overly cautious or am I right to be concerned?

Vince
Old 12-29-2023, 12:49 PM

It's a valid concern, but I say buy it! When I reached out to RainSong on this question I was told that refrets are done the same way as with a wooden board. In fact, in some ways the composite boards are easier because you don't have the issue of tangs splitting/ chipping wood as the old frets are removed. I do my own nuts and saddles, but would imagine techs would be willing to do that work for you for a price.

The real issue is finding someone who is comfortable doing the refret. There have been successful refrets done though. Here is also a video of proof of what I'm saying and what RainSong told me (no, I'm not the guy in the video).

Old 12-29-2023, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Mine is still in the shop for a stainless refret. The tech I took it to asked me what the fretboard material was, because the fretboard looked like it was one piece with the neck. I confirmed that the fretboard was formed in conjunction with the neck. He said he wasn't worried about this refret at all.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I would tend to agree that any competent guitar tech could do the job without issue...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-29-2023, 03:28 PM

Come on in, the water's just fine. The word from Dave at Rainsong over the years was that they are really no different to refret than wooden guitars. More info here: https://www.cozadguitars.com/article...ng-refret.html

If you someday develop higher action, first check that the neck bolts have not vibrated loose -- it has happened. Otherside, there isn't much else that can go wrong. I am a big fan of the original N1 neck but mine are 14-frets. My APSE is 12-fret but has the N2 neck. Both work for me.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. It's always nice to get other opinions when you are not sure of something. Appreciate the responses.

Vince
Old 01-09-2024, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Reporting back. Got my Rainsong CO-OM1100N2 back from the stainless refret. They had zero trouble with the refret at all.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:26 AM

I had my WS1000 BI refretted a couple of years ago with stainless...

Aperio Guitars in suburban Atlanta...

Great job and I think it cost $400.00
Old 01-12-2024, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the updates.

As for my purchase, I lost out on the N1/12 fret Rainsong that I wanted due to my procrastination. However, I did score a 14 fret N1 (WS1000) that I just received. I can probably put off a re-fret for another year, depending on how much play time it gets. I will not be worried when the time comes.

A year later I am still in love with my X20, but this one will be a nice complement to it

Vince
Old 01-12-2024, 10:10 AM

Congrats on the WS-1000. I have two now with the N1 neck, both made in 2001. One was bought new and the other came to me last year when a friend could no longer play due to Parkinson's. He always liked my WS-1000 so much that he got a used one several years ago. The second one has a lot of play wear and divots on the cowboy chord frets, but not bad enough (yet) to affect playing or intonation. Certainly not to the point where I would have it refretted. I also have an APSE with the N2 neck. It works fine for me, but certain things playing up the neck are just a bit more difficult. That could be the shorter scale, the 12-fret join, or the neck shape. It is not clear.

My play time alternantes between the WS and the X20, mostly depending on mood. If I were forced to choose one over the other for the rest of my days.... it would be a very difficult decision.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber