The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM

Default C chord VS Cadd9

Now dont flame me for this because I have only been playing for around 4 months now, but is it appropriate to sub a cadd9 for a C chord in a lot of cases? Ive gotten where I can change chords pretty good for the short time I have been "playing" guitar, but I have noticed when I watch Eric Church and some guys like that, he seems to use cadd9 pretty often. It's an easier switch for me than a C and I dont notice a ton of difference BUT I also do not have a trained ear for the little sound differences of the guitar... I would just like some opinions on this subject. Google searches didnt give me any.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:07 AM

It may or may not be appropriate. Music is context, and without knowing the context you can't just "substitute" chords.

Many songs you will run into, and you might write one yerself, would find both a C chord and a Cadd9 to be appropriate harmonic content, then where would you be??!!!

Learn them both. Do not substitute chords because of the physicality, you will only have to play the right chord if you ever play with other people anyway.

rct
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach View Post
Now dont flame me for this because I have only been playing for around 4 months now, but is it appropriate to sub a cadd9 for a C chord in a lot of cases? Ive gotten where I can change chords pretty good for the short time I have been "playing" guitar, but I have noticed when I watch Eric Church and some guys like that, he seems to use cadd9 pretty often. It's an easier switch for me than a C and I dont notice a ton of difference BUT I also do not have a trained ear for the little sound differences of the guitar... I would just like some opinions on this subject. Google searches didnt give me any.
How, do you play it, X32033? Sounds good when the song is in G, like instead of playing G C G D you can play G Caa9 G Dsus (or Dsus2).

Last edited by pbla4024; 02-15-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 AM

As mentioned, context is everything.

Personally an open or barred C major chord sounds completely different to me than a Cadd9 and absolutely cannot be simply substituted for one another without impacting the feel of the tune a lot.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbla4024 View Post
How, do you play it, X320033? Sounds good when the song is in G, like instead of playing G C G D you can play G Caa9 G Dsus (or Dsus2).
My finger placement when I play the cadd9 is, 1st finger (4th string, 2nd fret), 2nd finger (5th string, 3rd fret) 3rd finger (2nd string, 3rd fret) and 4th finger (1st string, 3rd fret)... I think I worded that correctly
Old 02-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
As mentioned, context is everything.

Personally an open or barred C major chord sounds completely different to me than a Cadd9 and absolutely cannot be simply substituted for one another without impacting the feel of the tune a lot.
I'm working barre chords now... I have good pressure and make pretty clean sounds considering, but changing is an issue although it is getting better every day.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:23 AM

In some instances, it's a great choice.

In others, it's the lazy choice.

Personally, I think enough tunes with the G-Cadd9 thing have been written

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-15-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbla4024 View Post
How, do you play it, X320033? Sounds good when the song is in G, like instead of playing G C G D you can play G Caa9 G Dsus (or Dsus2).
That X320033 is not really a Cadd9 in my book even though you can call it that.
The X320030 is the shape that "colors" the context. A lot of country and folks use it. It is the main chord in "Bring it on Home" by Little Big Town and serves the purpose in that song.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I would just like some opinions on this subject. Google searches didnt give me any.
First of all, understand what an "add 9" really means. It means adding the 9th (2nd above the octave is called a 9th instead). In the case of C, the 9th is D. In the open position, it's the D on the 3rd fret.

Let's say you're playing in the key of G major. I, IV, V chord progression is G, C, D. There's a lot of D there... The D note is in the G-major chord as the 5th. Clearly the D note is the root of the D chord. You'll also often find an Em7 chord mixed in there, where the flatted 7th in that chord is D. With all of this "D" going on, I typically play a Cadd9 in such a situation. Not that it's necessary, but it fits. When I play the "4-finger G" the D note is essentially a constant throughout the song.

G is a very common key for country and modern worship music (if you're into that sort of thing, like I am.) So that might be why you're seeing it a lot. This is just one case of when you might see it / use it.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
So, what's it called in your book?
Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 AM

I appreciate these responses! You can tell I know very little about the guitar and it's terminology, so I appreciate the insight!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

Playing a 7 string?

X32033-- C E G D G. Root, third, fifth, ninth, root.

That's exactly what an add 9 chord is. Major triad + an added 9th. This voicing doubles the 5th, yours doubles the 3rd. both add9's.

I'd like to know what your "book" is.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-15-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I do it all the time, but it depends on the song and the circumstance. I play lead acoustic in a church band on Sundays, and there are times when my guitar is providing background music during prayer times, times of reflection, etc and using the 9 in a C chord (032030) is effective to set the tone or mood. Other times it's more appropriate to stick with a straight C. Like everyone else has said, it's fine to do it but it may be more or less appropriate based on the circumstance and the song.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

If it sounds good, it is appropriate. By definition.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
If it sounds good, it is appropriate. By definition.
This exactly. Use it when it sounds good (appropriate), don't use it when it doesn't. It can be a pretty chord, but it's nothing to exciting in this century. Certainly don't use it all the time - or anything else, for that matter.

Quote by Duke Ellington: “If it sounds good, it IS good.”
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write