The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2018, 04:44 PM

I've never liked using the Bose towers systems. I just don't think they sound good. At all. To be fair, I've only used them when they've been provided as a house PA and I've never owned one myself. But when the time came for me to upgrade my performing rig, instead of even considering a Bose system, I bought the Schertler Jam 400 without ever hearing one used live. I've never regretted it.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Quality only hurts once!
Amen.

I've learned my lesson over the years. That doesn't mean (to me) that I have to always buy top of the line. But when I've been too focused on saving a buck, I've sometimes been disappointed.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 02-09-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacm81 View Post
I've never liked using the Bose towers systems. I just don't think they sound good. At all. To be fair, I've only used them when they've been provided as a house PA and I've never owned one myself. But when the time came for me to upgrade my performing rig, instead of even considering a Bose system, I bought the Schertler Jam 400 without ever hearing one used live. I've never regretted it.

I felt that way about Bose towers too, though I thought they sounded good when sitting in the audience. My playing experiences were also from using them when run by someone else.

When I got my own L1C, I first used it outdoors on a patio gig, and I was a little worried that it wouldn't have enough power. But when I cranked it up a bit it started to sound really good. Class D amps get it on when pushed.
If there is a loudness limitation, it's only that it gets too loud for me personally. This is due to the proximity of the amp to my ears, but the rooms I play are small, so I can keep it down to where I like it.

Went through two mixers(Behringer 1202, AH Zed10fx) before I bought a T1, and now I'm happy. The T1 sounds great, and is more compact than the other mixers. Btw, a Sennheiser 865 sounds amazing through the T1.

All that said, I wouldn't mind a Schertler Jam either.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Dave, for your thoughts on Bose. For me, it's either a Bose system or Line 6 L2t/L3t systems. Is it just me or are the Line 6 L systems something that went nowhere with players? Okay, okay, so the Line 6 L2t is a whopping 39 lbs! Regarding Bose: Is Bose like Taylor, Gibson, or carbon guitars, either folks get it or they don't?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-09-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Dave’s Bose Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks, Dave, for your thoughts on Bose. For me, it's either a Bose system or Line 6 L2t/L3t systems. Is it just me or are the Line 6 L systems something that went nowhere with players? Okay, okay, so the Line 6 L2t is a whopping 39 lbs! Regarding Bose: Is Bose like Taylor, Gibson, or carbon guitars, either folks get it or they don't?

The Line 6 L2t was the best sounding unit I used. But it was too heavy and awkward for small gigs. If they lightened it up a bit, added another 2 channels, they’d have a huge hit. Their feedback forum is filled with suggestions. So they know exactly what we all want them to build. If they took the suggestions I sent them, I’d feel compelled to buy one. LOL

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-09-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:22 AM

I wonder what the percentage is of people who buy Bose p.a. / acoustic gear and keep it and continue to be prosumer customers vs those who don't.

It seems to me (as one who only has Bose computer speakers so far and LOVES them) that a lot of people who don't like it, aren't actually OWNERS.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-12-2018, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

I knew a few guys who gigged with 802s up on sticks and swore by them. I didn't get it and believed my Peaveys were just fine. Until my wife prevailed upon me to buy an L1 system for smaller venues.

Oh yeah. Then I got it.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I wonder what the percentage is of people who buy Bose p.a. / acoustic gear and keep it and continue to be prosumer customers vs those who don't.

It seems to me (as one who only has Bose computer speakers so far and LOVES them) that a lot of people who don't like it, aren't actually OWNERS.
Bose is a lot like Tempurpedic beds in that you know Bose spends way more on advertising than its competitors just like Tempurpedic buys way more advertising than its bedding competitors. So you know you're paying a somewhat inflated price. Which isn't to say either company doesn't make a worthwhile product. But that extra cost is always going to discourage some potential customers. As already stated, my solution is to buy used. btw my buddy loves his Bose computer speakers!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I think you are right regarding opinions of non-owners. I've been using a Bose L1C for seven plus years - it just keeps working and sounding great. I wasn't sure about it at first, but knew I was tired of schlepping a heavy PA.

My back and my ears have been very happy.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I have a regular gig at a venue that requires us to use their LI II Bose tower system. Played through it Friday. I won't be owning one. I am not sure why I would buy a system I don't like. Or why choosing to not own one invalidates my opinion.

hunter
Old 02-12-2018, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
I have a regular gig at a venue that requires us to use their LI II Bose tower system. Played through it Friday. I won't be owning one. I am not sure why I would buy a system I don't like. Or why choosing to not own one invalidates my opinion.

hunter
Sorry if my comment to that post made you feel your opinion wasn't valid. For full disclosure, there is a learning curve to using a Bose system - I thought I needed to pound out the same volume as my large cabinets on stands to cover a crowd. It took me a couple times with the Bose to appreciate how it can fill a room without blasting a room.

I have talked with players who have put down something they haven't used or owned... things like "Taylors sound thin"... "Carbon fiber guitars sound like plastic"... or the ever-popular "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."

I am aware that there are some who have tried Bose and it didn't do it for them, but the vast majority of Bose owners that I've talked with are delighted - with the sound, ease, and convenience. Not having to schlep in heavy cabinets; no messing with monitors; great sound dispersion without blasting - all good reasons for owning a Bose. Well, that and I really like the sound.

If I were in the market for any piece of equipment, I would be more interested in the opinions of those who own (or owned) that type, over those who haven't used it, or have little hands on experience with it. I'm certainly not discounting your opinion, but realistically, having used it for one gig (and not sure if you had control over the EQ) would sway me less.

I totally get why the venue would insist on the Bose: so their customers don't have to scream to talk, or leave with ringing ears. I know the few times I have had to use the house PA, I am less than enthralled because I haven't had the advantage of time and experience with it to get the sound I prefer.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
For full disclosure, there is a learning curve to using a Bose system - I thought I needed to pound out the same volume as my large cabinets on stands to cover a crowd. It took me a couple times with the Bose to appreciate how it can fill a room without blasting a room.

This must be the case with array systems? I had the same experience with my LD Systems Maui array. Much lower volume needed to fill the room with clear sound.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 02-12-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
This must be the case with array systems? I had the same experience with my LD Systems Maui array. Much lower volume needed to fill the room with clear sound.
I got a comment from the owner of the place I played Saturday. He said "Your sound is perfect. You aren't too loud but I can hear every note anywhere in the place, but can still carry on a conversation." I use a Fishman 330 and play through a Play Acoustic. It's a good sized room with 75 or 80 people eating and drinking. I had the master volume at 9:00. There really is something to stacking these little speakers up in a line. I was skeptical that these things could handle a loud bar but they really can, and they sure beat lugging big speaker cabs in and out, plugging in a mixer, and running cords all over the stage!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Sorry if my comment to that post made you feel your opinion wasn't valid. For full disclosure, there is a learning curve to using a Bose system - I thought I needed to pound out the same volume as my large cabinets on stands to cover a crowd. It took me a couple times with the Bose to appreciate how it can fill a room without blasting a room.

I have talked with players who have put down something they haven't used or owned... things like "Taylors sound thin"... "Carbon fiber guitars sound like plastic"... or the ever-popular "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."

I am aware that there are some who have tried Bose and it didn't do it for them, but the vast majority of Bose owners that I've talked with are delighted - with the sound, ease, and convenience. Not having to schlep in heavy cabinets; no messing with monitors; great sound dispersion without blasting - all good reasons for owning a Bose. Well, that and I really like the sound.

If I were in the market for any piece of equipment, I would be more interested in the opinions of those who own (or owned) that type, over those who haven't used it, or have little hands on experience with it. I'm certainly not discounting your opinion, but realistically, having used it for one gig (and not sure if you had control over the EQ) would sway me less.

I totally get why the venue would insist on the Bose: so their customers don't have to scream to talk, or leave with ringing ears. I know the few times I have had to use the house PA, I am less than enthralled because I haven't had the advantage of time and experience with it to get the sound I prefer.
I've gigged through it frequently. "Regular gig" and all.

Your big heavy cabinet paradigm has been gone for years.

hunter
Old 02-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
I've gigged through it frequently. "Regular gig" and all.

Your big heavy cabinet paradigm has been gone for years.

hunter
I guess I missed the "regular gig and all" part. Apologies. Sure not looking for a debate - we all like what we like. What PA do you own for the times when you aren't using a house PA? That information might help someone who is PA shopping.

You are right on with the "heavy cabinet paradigm" being gone for years; 7 years with the Bose for me, no looking back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification