The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Unless you like the nude look, spend a couple of bucks on a "poker chip" for the pickup selector. And yes, the '57 classics sound great in this guitar!

Bob
Yes, there was a lot of discussion months ago on another forum about the lack of a poker chip. Doesn't really both me so it's not high on my priority.

What I do like is the half pickguard, which Gibson calls "small teardrop" (as opposed to the batwing).
Old 01-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Yes, there was a lot of discussion months ago on another forum about the lack of a poker chip. Doesn't really both me so it's not high on my priority.

What I do like is the half pickguard, which Gibson calls "small teardrop" (as opposed to the batwing).
Yep, aficionados call the small guard an "Angel Wing" guard. I put together a short history of the early and late SGs as part of a review of an SG I tracked down last year. You can read it on my webpage HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Yep, aficionados call the small guard an "Angel Wing" guard. I put together a short history of the early and late SGs as part of a review of an SG I tracked down last year. You can read it on my webpage HERE.

Bob
"Angel Wing", thanks for the term. I like that pickguard shape.

My SGJ doesn't have a pickguard so that makes it a little special. The thin satin finish is already scratched through one very small area where my pinky fingernail rests/hits. I like it, adds character . I'll have to take a pic next week and post it.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
My SGJ doesn't have a pickguard so that makes it a little special. The thin satin finish is already scratched through one very small area where my pinky fingernail rests/hits. I like it, adds character . I'll have to take a pic next week and post it.
Great! I'll look forward to the pic. By the way, Derek Trucks ran his '61 reissue without the guard for a long time. I like the look. He also had the sideways vibrola removed but kept that big cover on it. THAT was unique!

He also had another covered with the autographs of many classic blues men. Hubert Sumlin, Otis Rush, Johhny Winter, Little Milton, as well as Eric Clapton. I think that one is in a display case now.

Bob

Old 01-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:

<<snippet pic>>

Bob
Hey Bob, just read your review - great!

I've decided that the next string change I'm going to top wrap this guitar. I've never tried it before and figured I'd start with this SG.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Very nice. Congratulations! SGs are so cool.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Looks like my 2016 with Throbacks, which upped the used price. Mine has the beefy neck profile.

Congrats.
Thanks! Are Throbacks a boutique pickup maker? I've heard of them before but never looked into it.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Hey Bob, just read your review - great!
Thanks for your kind words!
Quote:
I've decided that the next string change I'm going to top wrap this guitar. I've never tried it before and figured I'd start with this SG.
Let me now how it comes out.

Bob

Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 AM

Dru - nice SG! Beautiful colour, quality of pics aside

I’ve been playing with the idea of an SG as my next electric. I want double humbuckers and the LP, as iconic as it is, is just not for me. Just now it’s a toss up between an SG and a 335-style guitar like the Ibanez AS, Epi Sheraton or even a Hagstrom Viking.

I’ve decided to hand on to my Ibanez RG350mdx incidentally so I won’t be getting anything soon...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-22-2018, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Nice rig Dru, you are well equipped with SG's -- Darwin
Old 01-22-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Dru - nice SG! Beautiful colour, quality of pics aside

I’ve been playing with the idea of an SG as my next electric. I want double humbuckers and the LP, as iconic as it is, is just not for me. Just now it’s a toss up between an SG and a 335-style guitar like the Ibanez AS, Epi Sheraton or even a Hagstrom Viking.

I’ve decided to hand on to my Ibanez RG350mdx incidentally so I won’t be getting anything soon...
Pieter, Thanks! The SG and 335 will give you different tones, as you know. There are some great Gibson SGs out there that cost less than the Standard. Same basic guitar except satin finish and such, like the SG Faded and SG Special. They're very light guitars and comfortable to play, although you may get a little neck dive.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Very nice Dru! I hope you are giving it a,workout!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Very nice. I have only one SG, and that's not enough.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:57 AM

These are the Throbaks in my SG.
https://www.throbak.com/paf-pickups-...pre-t-201.html

I have PAFs in my Melody Maker. They have more growl and grind than the Throbaks. The Throbaks are sweet and smooth tonally, making the SG sound like Dicky Betts old SG.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Very nice Dru! I hope you are giving it a,workout!
Thanks Todd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Very nice. I have only one SG, and that's not enough.
I think I could have 10 SGs or 10 Les Pauls and it wouldn't be enough . Do you play your SG much, Ghost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
These are the Throbaks in my SG.
https://www.throbak.com/paf-pickups-...pre-t-201.html

I have PAFs in my Melody Maker. They have more growl and grind than the Throbaks. The Throbaks are sweet and smooth tonally, making the SG sound like Dicky Betts old SG.
Looks like some mighty fine pickups, pricey too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars