The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Thx Chris. I am probably going to stick with medium gauge for this guitar initially and see how it goes. (.013's)

You make an interesting point about trying a hybrid gauge. Splitting the difference might work well too. But I'll start with mediums and see how it goes. How would you characterize the Martin Retro's? I thought they were a much warmer, less detailed sounding string set compared to phosphor bronze strings?
I think your description is accurate. I tried the Retro Tony Rice (bluegrass gauge) set on my HD-28 and they sounded dull or "thumpy." I didn't really like them on that guitar. The D-18 seems a lot brighter, so when I put the Retros on it, it seemed to warm it up a lot if you know what I mean. It still had the sparkle, but it somehow seemed warmer and fuller also. It sounded warm and full while still having a certain sparkle to it. Not too dull, not too bright, but "just right."

I know that sound like a pretty dumb description but that's how it seemed to me anyway.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-04-2017, 12:15 PM

Very sweet guitar. I got my 2016 D-18 last January. I've tried several different string types and found the Elixirs were almost my favorite strings. And they do win out for coated strings. But my favorites are the D'Addario EJ19's (56-12). I love the bottom end of medium strings but the lighter strings on the top three have a more airy ping than mediums and I do like to bend them a bit. I also feel the high B and E strings have a fuller tonal quality than the Elixirs did. My style of playing is quite different from yours. I use my fingers with a bit of nail and sometimes a thumb pick. But as has been pointed out, she's a work horse and covers a lot of bases. When I put on those EJ19's my D-18 just came alive with a fullness that smacked me in the face. It's the tone I've been looking for and I won't soon be parted with my Martin. You made a great choice!
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 12-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Congrats on the D18 and thanks for sharing the samples. Not enough NGD post have audio samples and I always love it when they are shared.

I have to say that I much prefer the sound of your modern D18 to the Authentic which you A-B tested it against. The Authentic has a little too much clang and I believe I'm even hearing what sounds like traces of fret buzz. It's also not a very balanced sound compared to the modern D18.... But that's not all that unexpected.

Martin's only intent with the Authentic line was to give players accurate historical recreations of their museum relics. I think the intent ends there and the subjective idea that those instruments play and sound superior to their mainstream, modern counterparts has always been something Martin refuses to voice an opinion on. They are just bringing a product to market to fullfill the demand.

The idea plays into the myth that modern construction techniques are inferior to the old traditions and the myth that the more you pay for a guitar the better sounding that guitar will be compared to instruments less expensive. From my small sample of playing real vintage instruments, faithful replicas (I've not played many Authentics, but I have a few) and their modern day counterparts, I much prefer the modern versions of Martin's lineup. The modern D18 is an excellent example of how they have incorporated the right historic elements while leaving the best of modern techniques in place.

That's not to say the Authentic line isn't great... I love that for those players with deep pockets, and glass cases to display them in, Martin is making these recreations available... as usual concepts of "pay more = get more" without any real rational of context of intended use happens often with instruments.

Very thoughtful and wise post. I agree on many points if not all them.

1. I would absolutely choose this new D18 over the '37 D18A Authentic for a variety of reasons; Classic voice with a modern build (Including a truss rod) so it will be more easily maintained as a gigging guitar. I felt it may be a bit more balanced across all frequency ranges making it more versatile. The neck is infinitely more comfortable for me than the large "Authentic neck" profile which gets very chunky higher up the neck.

2. Cost. The value and corresponding level performance per dollar spent of the current D18 is unbeatable.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-04-2017, 07:36 PM

Are you sure this isn’t a Custom Shop!? That back and even the pickguard is stunning!!!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Are you sure this isn’t a Custom Shop!? That back and even the pickguard is stunning!!!
Now that you mention it, that really is a nice pickguard huh? 👍
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Just testing Photobucket again.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-21-2017, 05:58 AM

Gary,

Killer back on that for sure. Congrats!

I'm a deep convert to the GE and Authentic line. They're a bit touchier to play because they can pick up every nuance and are unforgiving in that way, but the sound is really something. Check out the Martin Outlaw model for the best of all worlds. Authentic features coupled with modern upgrades. Amazing tone and almost unknown.

I can't believe we haven't crossed paths here in Tucson over the years, but I was a pedal steel player at the Maverick and every other dive from here to Tombstone! Now retired to the acoustic guitar. Different musical genres I suppose.

Off to Rainbow today for some repair work on my D-18.

John
Old 12-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Adding my voice to the choir, LOVE that guitar !
- you simply can't go wrong with a D-18.
May you have many happy years with her.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva238 View Post
Gary,

Killer back on that for sure. Congrats!

I'm a deep convert to the GE and Authentic line. They're a bit touchier to play because they can pick up every nuance and are unforgiving in that way, but the sound is really something. Check out the Martin Outlaw model for the best of all worlds. Authentic features coupled with modern upgrades. Amazing tone and almost unknown.

I can't believe we haven't crossed paths here in Tucson over the years, but I was a pedal steel player at the Maverick and every other dive from here to Tombstone! Now retired to the acoustic guitar. Different musical genres I suppose.

Off to Rainbow today for some repair work on my D-18.

John
Hi John, I can’t place you, but yes, we travelled different music circles I suppose. Not many pedal steel players here, so I’m sure I’ve heard you at some point.

I played that Outlaw at Rainbow and liked it a lot, but I gave it a close demo and could not hear or justify $3K price difference. I agree it gives modern appts to an Authentic series level of sound. But not the same IME. A close friend has a ‘37 D18A here in town (from Rainbow) and it is exceptional. But this standard D18 brings so much classic Martin Mojo to my world. I am thrilled. Did my first gig with earlier this week at Haciena Del Sol Resort. (Had a Baggs Anthem installed so I can plug in and gig) It was superb! Definitely delivers a great dread voice!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

A lot of mahogany is bandy and ho-hum. You really scored with that set, Gary. Helps that it's also a great sounding D-18 too!

Enjoy

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-21-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Just testing Photobucket again.

I'm so mad at you Gary. That is some SICK wood and I want it. I have a really nice D-18....wanna trade? haha
Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I'm so mad at you Gary. That is some SICK wood and I want it. I have a really nice D-18....wanna trade? haha
Made me laugh out loud! Skip the trade. You can have it. Merry Xmas. ....Oops, I meant you CANT have it. :-) .. The Grinch
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

OMC-18E and your D-18, is it identical tone wise but just different volume or is there actual tonal differenence?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
OMC-18E and your D-18, is it identical tone wise but just different volume or is there actual tonal differenence?

Thanks
Fair question. While both Martins are Sitka tops/Mahogany back & sides, the body shapes, size and overall voicing are still unique. The D18 is bigger, deeper, and has more midrange like a dread is expected to have. Both are very special guitars and I don’t see them being too similar. Either way, when I found this D18, I kept coming back to it and every time I played it I loved it. Got a great price on it that was so good, I had to bring it home. Probably the best deal I’ve gotten on a killer guitar. A timeless classic and I feel the one I got is particularly special.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

New acoustic Improv video on my D18 of a song I am composing. Excuse some of the fat finger clams.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion